• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skydance Marvel Game to be titled 'Marvel 1943: Rise of Hydra"

Oh man, Amy Henning was always celebrated due to her being face of Naighty Dog before they went woke, but looks like she is treadig the same path with WW2 game with 3 out of 4 main characters being black. At least don't make it that obvious. And the black female just looks exactly like the type of distasteful stronk black women portrayed in games today.

Amy did say this was all in-game real time so that part of the game is very impressive.

I see we can't get past the first page of this thread before using the word "woke" because black people.......it's a Marvel game with super heroes in it dude.
Black Panther is literally in this........Is it inconceivable to have a black female in it as well? And a black soldier?

Last edited:

Edder1

I see we can't get past the first page of this thread before using the word "woke" because black people.......it's a Marvel game with super heroes in it dude.
Black Panther is literally in this........Is it inconceivable to have a black female in it as well?
If you think having a game set in WW2 and having 75% of heroes being black isn't woke then you're either naive or playing dumb. Also my point about black female stands, she's just as annoying, ugly and dislikeable as most recent black women being represented in AAA games. This ain't a black female issue only of course, it's a western issue with female protagonists mainly being dislikeable ugly bunch. I just thought Amy Henning had more of a writer in her, but this seems like a game with characters written by any other so called AAA western studio today.

Last edited:

Bridges

Well, maybe some of the all of the above, lol. We have had stuff like Avengers, Gotham Knights, Suicide Squad and more be both critical and sales flops. We had Midnight Suns which was a sales flop (admittedly a decent game if you skip friendship simulator parts). And there is more.

Even Guardians flopped more or less on sales side thanks to Avengers and pretty bad marketing campaign.

That leaves what, Spider-Man series?
Gotham Knights sucked but it was not a sales flop. In fact it was one of the top selling games the year it game out.

If you think having a game set in WW2 and having 75% of heroes being black isn't woke then you're either naive or playing dumb. Also my point about black female stands, she's just as annoying, ugly and dislikeable as most recent black women being represented in AAA games. This ain't a black femalt issue of course, it's a western issue with female protagonists mainly being dislikeable ugly bunch. I just thought Amy Henning had more of a writer in her, but this seems like a game with characters written by any other so called AAA western studio today.

So wait......a two and a half minute trailer of a super hero game showing three black people was enough to let you know that it is 75% black which in turn means it's woke.....
In addition to that take........you say the woman is annoying, ugly and dislikable which you also determine ALL from that trailer, plus criticizing the writing of the entire game based on this one trailer.
Did you simply see brown and then just blacked out?

Last edited:

MCplayer

The event where that engine runthrough was demoed is still going. Epic will likely post that up as a segment after the State of Unreal livestream finishes. You can rewind the livestream to catch it too, but there's no timecode to link to yet.

EDIT: Clip is out.

gonna wait for a 4k version hopefully

Edder1

So wait......a two and a half minute trailer of a super hero game showing three black people was enough to let you know that it is 75% black which in turn means it's woke.....
In addition to that take........you say the woman is annoying, ugly and dislikable which you also determine ALL from that trailer, plus criticizing the writing of the entire game based on this one trailer.
Did you simply see brown and then just blacked out?
Those characters are the face of the game and are front and center in the media they released.

Your not so subtle dig at me implying racism is cheap and kinda pathetic. This isn't about race and that blacks shouldn't be in videogames, this is about shoehorn woke politics trying to sell us fake version of history.

I take as much from this trailer as I do with any other game, which is usually very accurate. People like you were defending Suicide Squad and Gotham Knights and saying that we have to see more and people are being judgemental and we know how that turned out.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Your not so subtle dig at me implying racism is cheap and kinda pathetic. This isn't about race and that blacks shouldn't be in videogames, this is about shoehorn woke politics trying to sell us fake version of history.

You're right. If you look at historical records of World War II, the number of super-powered soldiers who served in the fight against Nazis and alien stonekeepers were predominantly white.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
If you think having a game set in WW2 and having 75% of heroes being black isn't woke then you're either naive or playing dumb.

I don't even know what you're trying to say here.

Black Panther and the Dora Milaje are and have always been black, having them be in a game that co-leads Black Panther is not "woke".

Also, this is fiction. This is not a retelling of actual historic events.

Edder1

You're right. If you look at historical records of World War II, the number of super-powered soldiers who served in the fight against Nazis and reptilian aliens were predominantly white.
What a silly answer, but at this point I wouldn't expect any different from you. It's common sense that if you gonna make a superhero game about historically accurate events then you'd also make those superheroes historically accurate in terms of representation to that time period and place, else it's as fake as it comes. I guess this is hard for you to understand because you trying your hardest to disprove the obvious.

Last edited:
What a silly answer, but at this point I wouldn't expect any different from you. It's common sense that if you gonna make a superhero game about historically accurate events then you'd also make those superheroes historically accurate in terms of representation to that time period and place, else it's as fake as it comes. I guess this is hard for you to understand because you trying your hardest to disprove the obvious.
Stop It Roe V Wade GIF by GIPHY News

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Demonstrative.

You killed me with that argument. Touche.

There is no argument. You are literally making a fool of yourself by being the only person in this thread complaining about 3 black people in a Marvel super hero game, shown in a 2.5 minute trailer. Two of which are canon marvel characters.
I'm convinced that the whole concept and meaning of the word "woke" is so far beyond it's original meaning it's ridiculous, and people like you throw it around every time you se something you don't' like.
I do have one question though.....In what context are non white characters in an original, fictional piece of work ok in your book?

Edit:
Actually don't answer that. Let's just get back on topic.

The game looks like it might be decent.

Last edited:
Even though I don't particularly care about Captain America or Black Panther, I'm happy to see that Amy Hennig is finally going to release another game.

I'm watching the tech demo and they're like, look at the dirt! Look at all the detail in this dirt! It's the most believable dirt! Let's turn off textures so you can see how the dirt is made!

And that's why AAA has lot the effin plot. I don't care about the dirt, the game looks fine--IS IT FUN TO PLAY?!

Flabagast

I see that the Marvel cancer has now metastasized quite well in video game industry, seems to me the US videogame ecosystem is now in its terminal phase.

Dazraell

I'm watching the tech demo and they're like, look at the dirt! Look at all the detail in this dirt! It's the most believable dirt! Let's turn off textures so you can see how the dirt is made!

And that's why AAA has lot the effin plot. I don't care about the dirt, the game looks fine--IS IT FUN TO PLAY?!
Well, in all fairness, this demo is probably from GDC. I don't think this showcase was really targetted towards players, but more as a technical showcase of Unreal Engine capabilities

If you think having a game set in WW2 and having 75% of heroes being black isn't woke then you're either naive or playing dumb. Also my point about black female stands, she's just as annoying, ugly and dislikeable as most recent black women being represented in AAA games. This ain't a black female issue only of course, it's a western issue with female protagonists mainly being dislikeable ugly bunch. I just thought Amy Henning had more of a writer in her, but this seems like a game with characters written by any other so called AAA western studio today.
cringe GIF

Wanker posted:
I'm a racist because I'm calling out a game that uses mainly black led cast in a game set in WW2 France. You sir are an idiot if that's what you took from that.

Nah, I didn't say you're a racist. You said it for us.

Out of everything in that trailer, all you saw was the 3 black characters that offended your privileged sensibilities.

Wanker.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

There is no argument. You are literally making a fool of yourself by being the only person in this thread complaining about 3 black people in a Marvel super hero game, shown in a 2.5 minute trailer. Two of which are canon marvel characters.
I'm convinced that the whole concept and meaning of the word "woke" is so far beyond it's original meaning it's ridiculous, and people like you throw it around every time you se something you don't' like.
I do have one question though.....In what context are non white characters in an original, fictional piece of work ok in your book?

Edit:
Actually don't answer that. Let's just get back on topic.

The game looks like it might be decent.
Can you and Edde1 fuck off with this retarded back and forth

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Who the hell wants to play as a normal human being in a SUPERHERO game? I didn't understand it in Spiderman games (especially the last one) and I don't understand it here.

Who the hell wants to play as a normal human being in a SUPERHERO game? I didn't understand it in Spiderman games (especially the last one) and I don't understand it here.
Who wants to eat icecream all the time? With games needing to be bloated nowadays I rather have the bloat be a change of pace, in this case dial it down in some sequences with normal characters, to make the hero parts shine.

I have no idea if I should be interested. The trailer looks certainly nice, and the plot is not terrible, but also hardly exceptionally good. Good guys battling each other instead of talking about their goals, is imho kinda dumb. Might work better in the whole story, but the trailer made it like the usual pointless fight. But that seems reoccuring in Marvel (and DC) stuff.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
I mean, it's pretty for a tech demo (game will be downgraded and pushed back a few times anyway). But am I reading this correctly, we have a black double agent spy inside the Wehrmacht?

Do people even read basic history these days?

xrnzaaas

Who wants to eat icecream all the time? With games needing to be bloated nowadays I rather have the bloat be a change of pace, in this case dial it down in some sequences with normal characters, to make the hero parts shine.

Well it's up to the devs to find the balance between badass superhero moments and calmer scenes, as well as feature the heroes posing as civilians from time to time (if possible). I've never had the urge to play as Alfred or Gordon when doing Arkham games.

near

Gold Member
I mean, it's pretty for a tech demo (game will be downgraded and pushed back a few times anyway). But am I reading this correctly, we have a black double agent spy inside the Wehrmacht?

Do people even read basic history these days?

Right? Because a Marvel game is supposed to be historically accurate. What the fuck is a spy agent from Wakanda doing in this game? Someone have a word with these dumb devs. :/

gamer82

Taking notes from spider-man mj style missions :messenger_winking: hopefully we get more of cap and black panther in the game as im not familiar with the other two charchaters and to be fair i'm here for the heroes mostly. deffo need to wait for gamplay to see how its going to pan out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom