• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slitterhead launches November 8 for PS5, Xbox Series, PS4, and PC

Hugare

It would not have looked better if it had skipped PS4. This is the budget and tech and design style they're working with.

The original concept trailer was weirdly stylized and not "realistic" like the current trailer, but they actually showed gameplay last year that gave a clue where they were taking it gameplay-wise.

Combat-wise, maybe not, but Siren specifically was an extremely janky experience imo in either form; way more ideas than polished execution. Even Gravity Daze never clicked for me, I enjoy the idea but the play mechanics felt obtuse and arbitrary (albeit I have only played a level or two of each. )

I expected more of a graphic style abstraction, but as far as gameplay, this does not seem shockingly out of character to me.

In terms of gameplay: sure, I guess

In Siren you can see through the enemy POV and a similar mechanic seems to be in place here.

But I meant in terms of tone and style. This is not horror. This is action. And its absurd. Nothing like games such as Siren and Silent Hill.

Last edited:

Killer8

For as janky as it looks, it's far more interesting looking than most of the other slop on show. Basically an action game with The 3rd Birthday body hopping mechanic, and also reminds me of Driver: San Francisco's shift mechanic.

We need these rough around the edges smaller games that dare to do something different. It's also surprising so many people expected more Siren or Silent Hill. The very first reveal trailer already set the tone with heavy metal music and action...

Pejo

What an interesing concept, but technically it looks like a mess.

Wish they'd have opted for a Parasite Eve type RPG combat instead of busted looking action combat. Still, I can't deny that there's an appeal there and at least it's not Sequel 2398432 and more shit we've seen a hundred times already. I'm officially interested.

Aion002

Looks like a ps2 game at high resolution.

The combat kinda reminded me of Siren 2 bonus stage:

Sooo janky....

I am buying it for sure.

I Love It GIF

Audiophile

I loved the vibe of the original trailer but this just looks janky. Everything coming out of Japan looks like a PS4 remaster of a PS2 game.

Looks *real* rough. Stiff, clunky animations, PS3 era visuals, seems to be running at 20 fps, damn, was cautiously optimistic about it given the pedigree but not feeling this at all.

Varteras

Gold Member
I can't believe Sony gave Toyama 20 years to come up with another hit like Silent Hill, only to let him go and watch him come up with this masterpiece. Just think of what Japan Studio could have been.

Screen_Shot_2020-01-13_at_1.20.11_PM_2048x.png

ShadowNate

I didn't follow up on this until now. I too was expecting something closer to Silent Hill and especially original Siren vibes.

This is not interesting to me.

avin

That was different, maybe in a good way, maybe not. I gots to know.

avin

Last edited:

peronmls

Just make a horror game like Siren or Silent Hill. I don’t know what they are making. Looks all over the place. Animations need fixing.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member

The city of Slitterhead is very detailed and well designed. Why did you decide to have an action-focused experience rather than focusing more on adventure and exploration?

Toyama:
With games like FromSoftware titles, many gamers today are used to playing challenging and hardcore games. With that in mind, I thought that as long as we make the action feel good there would be the potential for more players to be interested in our game. Since I’m known as the creator of Silent Hill, I’m aware of the fact that many people are hoping for something closer to a horror adventure game. That makes me very honored, but the problem is that horror adventure games are kind of similar to extremely spicy food. People that are into it love it, but other people don’t really bother to try it out.

That’s why we decided to keep the essence of horror games while making a game that feels good to play. Of course we could have made a horror adventure game, but since many of our team members worked on the Gravity Rush series, we already had a team that knows how to develop good action gameplay. It is important to know what kind of game you want to make, but thinking about the potential and strengths of your team is important as well. With the team we currently have at Bokeh Game Studio, making a game focused on action just seemed like the right choice.

Is there a wide array of enemy types in the game’s different stages?

Toyama:
We developed a very rich and complex design for Yegouzi. We’re using this design as the base for all enemy types, but we created a lot of variation by giving it different looks, abilities and so on. Rather than creating a wide variation of enemy’s from scratch, we’re using one well-developed design in different ways. Slitterhead is Bokeh Game Studio’s first game, so this approach was more realistic for us.

near

Gold Member
Other bits from the interview:

"
I got to play the beginning of the game which had me explore the city, and later the insides of a condominium building. Is Slitterhead an open world game, or does it take a stage-based structure?

Toyama: It’s stage based. Everything takes place within the city, but depending on the stage you get to see different situations and can experience the city from different angles.

How long does the average stage take, and how long does it take to beat the entire game?

Toyama: Stages are about 30 minutes long. It should take players around 15 hours to see the credits roll. After that, you can enjoy the remaining challenges.

During combat, you can attack, block, dodge and deflect, covering all the standard bases for a modern action game. What is it that makes Slitterhead’s combat unique?

Toyama: The fact that the character you’re controlling constantly changes. The main concept was my idea, but Okura – who was also the lead designer for Gravity Rush – created the game system based on that concept.

Okura: Toyama said that he wanted me to utilize the possession mechanic as much as possible. It made me think of what would happen in a game in which you can freely possess different characters in a city. What kind of gameplay could we create based on that idea? Actually, we have a few main characters as well, and I came up with a system in which you switch between them. These main characters all have different characteristics and can use different skills.

I played the game on Easy mode and had no real difficulties defeating the game’s enemies. How different are the Normal, Hard and Nightmare difficulty modes?

Okura: Depending on the difficulty mode, the frequency and damage of enemy attacks change. That means that combat becomes more challenging, but adventure parts stay the same. Normal is the difficulty that we think will suit the average player best, while Hard is the difficulty we originally wanted to go for. Nightmare is for people who want a real challenge. Actually, I’m making that one for myself! But it still isn’t so difficult that players won’t be able to beat the game.
"

I'll be playing this one on Hard mode. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Terenty

Okura: Toyama said that he wanted me to utilize the possession mechanic as much as possible. It made me think of what would happen in a game in which you can freely possess different characters in a city.
Nothing is new under the sun

Bartski

Gold Member
Sounds like they're very careful managing expectations putting out a very low budget project, could be fun kind of in the Wanted: Dead category. Not expecting a demo but I'd like to see some extended gameplay.

near

Gold Member
Nothing is new under the sun

Not that this isn't impressive now as it was then, but Toyama has explored this conceptually with Siren, with its sightjacking mechanic, this is an evolution of the idea he has had for a very long time.

Sounds like they're very careful managing expectations putting out a very low budget project, could be fun kind of in the Wanted: Dead category. Not expecting a demo but I'd like to see some extended gameplay.
I always expected Wanted: Dead to score poorly with critics, because it's the kind of jank few gamers can understand and appreciate. I don't see Slitterhead getting the same treatment, because it's interesting and unique in its core game design. I know I'll loooooooove the shit out of this. Can't wait to bodysnatch!!

2QaUh9Y.gif

BtD1vsD.gif

XhqXOaM.gif

7KkgYN9.gif

I'll say that the day one physical edition looks pretty dope. 👀

Fresh off its gameplay reveal at #SummerGameFest, check out the Day 1 Edition of #Slitterhead, available on the PS5 for $59.99.

It includes:
- Copy of the Game
- 100+ page Artbook
- Sticker Sheet
- CD of Original Songs by Akira Yamaoka

Pre-orders available soon! Stay tuned☠️

GPk1VpyXoAEL-K7

Last edited:

tommib

Gold Member
I’m getting Suda vibes from the impressions and that’s refreshing. Mission based, 15 hours, horror-action packed. Thank god for Japan.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Slitterhead will launch for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, PlayStation 4, and PC via Steam and Epic Games Store on November 8, developer Bokeh Game Studio announced.

The news comes via the first gameplay trailer, which was posted on Bokeh Game Studio’s YouTube channel early—ahead of its planned reveal for the Summer Game Fest 2024 Showcase later today.

Watch the trailer below.

I'm going to support him. He looks archaic, but he is the creator of Gravity Rush... so for that reason I'm going to do it.

Although it has inconsistencies, a man jumps into the void, changes body... but no one knows what happened to the guy before he fell. :messenger_neutral:

Last edited:
Top Bottom