• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sly and Arnold has no plans to retire, and they apparently invented the action genre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They popularized action movies in the 80s, big muscular dude mowing down people.

Previous action stars like Charles Bronson never looked like Arnie or Sly. But not sure if they invented the genre, just changed it a bit

I don't necessarily disagree that they did invent a sub-genre of action movies, though. I don't think he necessarily means he just invented action movies in general, but maybe a specific sub-genre where there's pretty much no purpose to the movie but shit blowing up and big special effects.

But no one is going to their movies. That's the problem.

These are the last five movies Stallone has released:

2006: Rocky Balboa as Rocky Balboa
2008: Rambo as John Rambo
2010: The Expendables as Barney Ross
2012: The Expendables 2 as Barney Ross
2013: Bullet to the Head as Jimmy Bobo

One of these movies has a -$30MM box office and the rest of them are up by a combined ~half billion. I think you're speaking for yourself.

Nairume

Banned
In his defense, Arnold's only starring role since returning to acting barely broke even, though I imagine one movie may be a little too early to say that nobody wants to see Arnold movies anymore.

I want Arnold to keep making movies forever

jmdajr

The were good for business. Put butts in seats!

hhgif_zps46a1840a.gif

But no one is going to their movies. That's the problem.

Sly was on a roll up to Expendables 2, they did two smaller budget barely marketed action flicks that didn't do so well, so it's a bit premature. Sly's boxing moving coming up has chance of doing very well also. Arnold had a big flop with the Last Stand, it's not his first flop though.

Nairume

Banned
It's kind of a pity that the post apocalypse movie Arnold is doing is also a zombie movie, but I'm willing to put up with one more zombie movie if he makes it fun as usual.

Maddocks

Sometimes I wish someone would ask Arnold and Sly why they keep making movies just so Carl Weathers can pop up behind a pillar and say,"'Cause some damn fool accused you of being the best."

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Sam Peckinpah would like a fucking word or two.
He didn't make movies like the ones Stallone says they invented. You know, ludicrously over the top and swinging for the cheap seats every single minute, with not much politics or commentary getting in the way. So yeah, they did pioneer that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom