• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Mouth Singer Steve Harwell passes

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
Off-topic, but the past few days I have gone down the rabbit hole of figuring out the best way to get water that isn't full of microplastics. All because I need a new pitcher filter and decided to look at alternatives. On-topic, while procrastinating to solve my water problem, I'm drinking soda out of aluminum cans
While you try to figure out an answer, I think this could make a good thread. You should consider making a water purification thread.

FunkMiller

HN7W5ui.jpg

Rather suggests unhealthy American lifestyles in general are worse than merely those who drink.

I haven’t got the numbers to hand, but I’d imagine overall ‘lifestyle’ deaths (obesity, drink, drugs, etc) in the USA exceed that of Europe.

In the months and years I’ve been coming to the states, I never felt it had quite the same binge drinking culture of the UK or Australia - but that’s purely anecdotal.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Rip
I didnt know his music too well other than the hits but some good ones for sure.

Blade2.0

Rather suggests unhealthy American lifestyles in general are worse than merely those who drink.

I haven’t got the numbers to hand, but I’d imagine overall ‘lifestyle’ deaths (obesity, drink, drugs, etc) in the USA exceed that of Europe.

In the months and years I’ve been coming to the states, I never felt it had quite the same binge drinking culture of the UK or Australia - but that’s purely anecdotal.
I'm sure having universal healthcare helps a shit ton as well.

The fact that the US who has the biggest population in this list isnt even on the top, makes this list shady. I'm pretty sure California alone would top half of these. Moldova has what, 2 million ppl, vs Cali who has almost 20 more times? But then again the more people the less the percetange drops I guess, that means a country with 100 ppl could prolly be on top because the percentages would be insane, assuming thats how WHO calculates it, which isnt quite fair imo. I dont even know why I'm defending Europe or alcohol drinkers. Insane that Romania is in top 10 tho. Jesus.

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
So no transplant for him? Weird.

Also dying from liver failure is painless and if I can say it myself rather euphoric experience.
I believe you have to be sober for a year before you can even become eligible to be put on the transplant list. After that it usually takes 5 years... It's virtually impossible to stop drinking if you made it to this point.

End stage liver disease is a really sad and ugly way to go out. Hope he found some peace at the end. Rip.

Edit: holy shit I'm telling the wrong person this stuff. That's the criteria in the US anyway

Last edited:

Aesius

The fact that the US who has the biggest population in this list isnt even on the top, makes this list shady. I'm pretty sure California alone would top half of these. Moldova has what, 2 million ppl, vs Cali who has almost 20 more times? But then again the more people the less the percetange drops I guess, that means a country with 100 ppl could prolly be on top because the percentages would be insane, assuming thats how WHO calculates it, which isnt quite fair imo. I dont even know why I'm defending Europe or alcohol drinkers. Insane that Romania is in top 10 tho. Jesus.
There are a lot more people in the U.S. who either don't drink at all or who barely drink than you think.

CDC says more than 1 in 3 adults in 2018 didn't drink at all.

dave_d

Yeah I don't know about that. I mean back almost 20 years ago something attack my liver. Doctors never figured it out.(And no I don't drink or do drugs) It made me sick for a good 9-10 months. My symptoms included extreme nausea, jaundice, loads of fatigue, and extreme bruising. Oh and pale stools and urine the color of coffee. That was not a fun time for me. I'm just glad I didn't google my symptoms, especially painless jaudice. (Since the most likely diagnosis given what I was presenting with was pancreatic cancer.) And I didn't even have acute liver failure. Anyway I got better. (Their best guess was maybe I had an autoimmune disorder but whatever it was it never came back, knock on wood. Definitely do not want to go through that again.)

Last edited:

Drake

Back then I didn't care too much for their music but that whole 97-2001 era makes me nostalgic for the last bit of innocence in this society before things took a dark turn. Bands like Smash Mouth, Sugar Ray, Barenaked Ladies, No Doubt, Lit and others just bring back good memories.
Man, I entered my freshman year of college in the year 2000. So many good memories back then. But I know EXACTLY what you mean. The song "All Star" basically defined that era along with a few others. Remember the song Butterfly by Crazy Town. Just hearing that sends me back to being 18 years old.

KrakenIPA

RIP to a cool guy who sang his ass off and fronted a band that introduced people to ska and pop-punk. Astrolounge was the first CD I bought with my own money back in the day, such a good album all killer no filler HAR!

Top Bottom