• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Limit pushers - that do the impossible!

Deerock71

Or how many are just little tricks ;)
party dancing GIF

_Ex_

i also remember paying about 70ish bucks for Final Fantasy 3 aka 6 when it came out

Yep me too. I distinctly recall when I bought FF3(6) at Walmart in 1994 it was $74. That's $143 in today's money, accounting for inflation. It was worth it though.

Mohawk and Headphone Jack did some interesting Mode-7 stuff on SNES:

Chiggs

Didn't watch the video, but how many of these actually "push the limit" without the assistance of an add-on chip? SNES was the king of cramming in add-on chips to help games...and I'm not just referring to the Super FX, either.

Will watch this in my lunch break, but I wonder how many of those were really pushing the hardware and how many were simply adding hardware in the cartridge

Edit: Beaten

Last edited:

chinoXL

Yep me too. I distinctly recall when I bought FF3(6) at Walmart in 1994 it was $74. That's $143 in today's money, accounting for inflation. It was worth it though.

Mohawk and Headphone Jack did some interesting Mode-7 stuff on SNES:

I gladly paid that money...one of my favorite games..this is kind of why I don't mind paying 70 for PS5 games, not to derail the thread. That's crazy though $143 bucks in todays money

RAIDEN1

I gladly paid that money...one of my favorite games..this is kind of why I don't mind paying 70 for PS5 games, not to derail the thread. That's crazy though $143 bucks in todays money
Apparently this game gives a nauseous feeling with that camera spinning around

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not that impressive, except it was rotating all game. But cool at the time. Good game, but hard as hell. Watching YT videos makes it look easy. Never came close to beating it.

electricmastro

Neo Member
Not that impressive, except it was rotating all game. But cool at the time. Good game, but hard as hell. Watching YT videos makes it look easy. Never came close to beating it.

Ah yeah, On the Ball as well. I suppose some might not see it as too demanding in console power, but I think it still would have been a good showcase of what the SNES could do back in 1992.

Teslerum

Will watch this in my lunch break, but I wonder how many of those were really pushing the hardware and how many were simply adding hardware in the cartridge
Didn't watch the video, but how many of these actually "push the limit" without the assistance of an add-on chip? SNES was the king of cramming in add-on chips to help games...and I'm not just referring to the Super FX, either.

Edit: Beaten

Multiple people posting this as if its a foregone conclusion and the answer is:

None.

Axelay, Jim Power, Onizuka and Batman all didn't use add-on chips.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
That’s the sad part about gaming today with its standardization of hardware. We just don’t get the huge jumps like we did with old consoles.

If you look at the first games of any console from the nes - ps2 and compared them to their last games there’s a huge leap in tech there as devs learn the ins and outs of the machines or line in the nes case new carts with new mappers + new programming techniques.

I personally think the original PlayStation is the most impressive with what devs could get out of it in the end with no add on hardware.

Ev1L AuRoN

I don't know if it qualifies as a limit pusher, but Donkey Kong Country 2 is jaw dropping on SNES, anyone who experienced it on a CRT can confirm that.

Chiggs

Multiple people posting this as if its a foregone conclusion and the answer is.

None.

Axelay, Jim Power, Onizuka and Batman all didn't use add-on chips.

Multiple people are posting it because they’re familiar with the SNES’s inherit weaknesses, and we’ve all seen YouTube “list” videos that get it wrong. If this one didn’t, great.

Also, if you’ll note the first sentence in the message you quoted of mine…it ends with a question mark. That’s not a declarative statement.

S0ULZB0URNE

Those tricks are at least interesting in how they squeezed potential of a set hardware. Adding horsepower is definitely not.
Yeah it is.
Adding a chip or two isn't exactly the same as adding new hardware.

Also cartridge games capabilities some times improved as the cartridge sizes increased.

A deep-dive into how some titles really pushed what the SNES was capable of:

I'm going to be 43 next month... The SNES was introduced in the prime of my gaming life. It was a magical time, perhaps magnified by nostalgia. It really wasn't much of a debate that the SNES had better graphics than the Genesis amongst my friends. Some of which were Genesis owners.
Yeah, there were a few games that seemed better on Genesis but overall the SNES just seemed superior at the time. I'm a hardware collector now and I do know the intricacies of these hardwares and respect the Genesis a lot more these days. Yeah there was the resolution. Yes, there was the speed. But the colors. The effects. The Super Nintendo stomped all over it and that is what was impressive at the time.

CamHostage

Well not sure if this is limit pushing, but I thought this was interesting.

That "gameplay" looks terrible, but the effect is pretty cool.

Kind of reminds me of the Mode7 hockey game, which looked pretty amazing for the time (and the gameplay was intense at the time) but the actual mechanics were screwed enough that if the opponent pulled the goalie and you shot an open-net goal, sometimes you'd miss while the camera spun around. Sometimes the look was more important than the logic.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'll always support my fav game on SNES Axelay as peak graphical effects. Ya, the slowdown can be bad, but the mode 7 and awesome ships and gunplay were solid.

Their mode 7 wasnt the typical scaling or rotation too. In the vertical levels, they did it it to try faking some 3D warping effect to simulate you flying over things. Might be cheesy now, but at the time, it was pretty cool. Not sure what kind of effect that was, but maybe all they did was stretch out a sprite. Looked good to me at the time.

Level 1's brown rocks are a good example.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That "gameplay" looks terrible, but the effect is pretty cool.

Kind of reminds me of the Mode7 hockey game, which looked pretty amazing for the time (and the gameplay was intense at the time) but the actual mechanics were screwed enough that if the opponent pulled the goalie and you shot an open-net goal, sometimes you'd miss while the camera spun around. Sometimes the look was more important than the logic.
NHL Stanley Cup. In theory, the 3D effect could be good to simulate some third person perspectives where every other hockey game at the time were overhead kinds of camera angles. But worst hockey game I played in my entire life by a mile. Played nothing like hockey. Made worse by no stat tracking or player names.

Now we're seeing SA-1 hacks of games bringing them, quite literally, up to speed.

I wonder if some crackpot (said with love) will eventually come out of the woodwork with some insane Super FX(2) mods that add sprite scaling/rotation, etc.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Now we're seeing SA-1 hacks of games bringing them, quite literally, up to speed.

I wonder if some crackpot (said with love) will eventually come out of the woodwork with some insane Super FX(2) mods that add sprite scaling/rotation, etc.
Could you share some examples?

nush

Yes sir, Street Fighter Alpha 2 <3 (I get is not a super graphical wonder as other games, but to actually see the sprites from the arcades so well done in SNES, makes me happy even remember it)

As someone who could not afford a next gen console at the time but was a fan of Street Fighter this port was very, very welcome.

cireza

donkey Kong country
This is the game that demonstrates the best the strengths of the raw console (not with a 21 MHz proc added in the cart lol) in my opinion.

It uses very well the color palette for subtle gradients, which is only possible when you have a lot of colors available.
It displays a lot of colors on screen, and uses some technique for the sky to up the number and make, again, subtle gradients.
Some good effects with water, for example.
Music is also very good despite the memory limitation of the console.
Sprites are big and well animated. Not many things at once on screen, which helps the console and its limited proc to keep gameplay smooth.
You can hardly do better, in my opinion. It is a showcase for the console (as well as its sequels).

Yoshi's Island.
This one uses a 21 MHz additional proc. At this level, this is like putting half of a 32 bits console in the cartridge... Great game nonetheless.

cireza

Their mode 7 wasnt the typical scaling or rotation too. In the vertical levels, they did it it to try faking some 3D warping effect to simulate you flying over things
This wasn't Mode 7. It is called line scrolling, for information.
When it is very smooth and not pixelated, then it most certainly isn't Mode 7 ;)

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This wasn't Mode 7. It is called line scrolling, for information.
When it is very smooth and not pixelated, then it most certainly isn't Mode 7 ;)
Oh shit. Didn't know that. Out of all the games I had it was the only one that did that kind of cool effect, so I assumed it was mode 7.

Top Bottom