• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, how do you think NoA's going to handle DS hot-spots...

TheDiave

Banned
I for one am excited about the possibility of online Wi-Fi play with my DS, but I fear for lack of availability. I mean I know in Japan, Nintendo's all over the greatest possible support and goods for their systems, but NoA is kind of slack-ass in that respect.

Getting more to the point, I know places like Panera Bread and Borders have Wi-Fi hot-spots... Think NoA will be using them?

BuddyC

TheDiave said:
Getting more to the point, I know places like Panera Bread and Borders have Wi-Fi hot-spots... Think NoA will be using them?
I'm pretty sure Reggie made a comment about this, yea.

Mihail

Banned
I don't understand the question. If you can use your wireless router at home for online games, then you can use any hotspot out on the streets, as long as there are no security issues. What does NoA have to do with it? Are you asking if Nintendo will set up their own hot spots? Maybe the Nintendo World Store will be one, but I doubt there will be any Nintendo-centric hotspots beyond that.

BuddyC

Mihail said:
I don't understand the question. If you can use your wireless router at home for online games, then you can use any hotspot out on the streets, as long as there are no security issues. What does NoA have to do with it? Are you asking if Nintendo will set up their own hot spots? Maybe the Nintendo World Store will be one, but I doubt there will be any Nintendo-centric hotspots beyond that.
Bingo. Best I understand it, the Nintendo WiFi Connection will allow people to go online using their DS and a WiFi network. So if you're in a WiFi hotspot....

Spencerr

Banned
Didn't Nintendo say they were setting up their own hot spots in Japan?

I sure as hell hope that those (Nintendo brand routers or something) *AREN'T the only way to connect.

*Edited for accuracy.

Ulairi

Banned
NOA isn't going to have hot spots, if there is a hotspot you can use it. There is no need for special Nintendo hotspots when they're all over now anyway.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Ulairi said:
NOA isn't going to have hot spots, if there is a hotspot you can use it. There is no need for special Nintendo hotspots when they're all over now anyway.

there are plenty of hotspots like at barnes and noble and shit that are subscription based... from what i gather, nintendo is trying to make deals with these companies that will allow people to connect with their DSs . for free.

Nintendo is setting up a thousand of their own initially. I'm not sure if that's just Japan or what.

I could easily see them partnering with the providers of wifi in stores. For example McDonalds, Heathrow Airport and all sorts of store chains in the UK use BT Openworld services when they offer Wifi.

Spencerr said:
Whoa whoa whoa... slipped up there

*AREN'T the only way to connect

gotchya then :p

Nintendo have already said any normal 802.11b/g router will do the job. The recommended broadcom routers will be for easy secure configuration that the router will set up based on button presses and HW ids (no input of WEP/WPA on the DS).

StRaNgE

Banned
how can you find hot spots near you?

it's not like you can drive down the road and see big flashing neon saying HOT SPOT HERE or something to that regard.

so how do ya find them besides at local motels and starbucks.

ShowDog

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but those crap download stations they had at e3 didn't work worth shit. Hopefully if they try to set up similar stations in game stores like I heard, they actually work.

ShowDog said:
I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but those crap download stations they had at e3 didn't work worth shit. Hopefully if they try to set up similar stations in game stores like I heard, they actually work.

A DS station in a store isn't likely to have a hundred DSes trying to communicate with it and eachother all at once with a ton of interference from all the other electronics around, running, and communicating.

8bit

Knows the Score
radioheadrule83 said:
Nintendo is setting up a thousand of their own initially. I'm not sure if that's just Japan or what.

I could easily see them partnering with the providers of wifi in stores. For example McDonalds, Heathrow Airport and all sorts of store chains in the UK use BT Openworld services when they offer Wifi.

I was in Heathrow last month with NetStumber, and the only network I could find was T-Mobile who wanted something like 5 quid for 15 minutes wireless connection.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I dunno what thier plan is, but I can't wait any longer.

The moment Nintendo shows me its hot-spot I'm gonna **** it!

Top Bottom