• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, I Read On Beyond3d That Josh Robinson Just Got Fired........

DCharlie said:
ah, so.... thanks for the clarification. But this raises another question : why is he being fired NOW for OLD NEWS?

I don't know, it seems like the article just went up on that site (although its gone now).

Ponn

Banned
puebla said:
i'm not sure but i think he posted this on his blog......... somebody correct me if i'm wrong.

i think u might be wrong about him posting this on major websites.

I saw two different posts on this, maybe it did originate on his blog. If he's known enough to have it pop here and the B3D forums though then it still doesn't make any less of a stupid move.

Vibri

Banned
Eh, is there any proof that final PS3 dev kits are out anywhere? The timeline said December but I haven't heard of anyone getting them yet. Where does it say Guerilla got them?

Also, let's not be dumb: here's one guy who's worked in game companies long enough to fully understand the consequences of writing A PUBLIC EDITORIAL on a gaming website whining about his own project, his employer, and (what the heck!) Sony, and PS3 too!

There's obviously more to that story we don't know, so the rest of this thread's speculation is useless. There have been plenty of high profile developers to come out and state the exact opposite (I'll take Tim Sweeny's word over this guy's thanks).

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
All I know is if the first gen PS3 games dont look FANTASTIC, theres gonna be a horrible revenge trolling spree with lots of bans :lol :lol

sportzhead said:
The funny thing here is, if he said the PS3 was great and it's easy to pump out CG like graphics, all the Sony fanboys would be all over his joke. And I bet he would still have his job.

Exactly. Seems like a lot of people here take great delight in the misfortunes of others, especially if that misfortune is caused by the criticism of their favorite video game console. If he'd broken NDA with praise, they'd be crying foul.

GAF is

chock-full-o-nuts.jpg

Also, you could replace "nuts" with "assholes." Works just as well.

TheDuce22

Banned
Thats pretty funny. Which one of you fanboys reported him. :lol Apparently he didnt realize how serious the console wars were to some people.

Vibri said:
Eh, is there any proof that final PS3 dev kits are out anywhere? The timeline said December but I haven't heard of anyone getting them yet. Where does it say Guerilla got them?

Guerrilla hasn't said they have them, they've strongly hinted to it. Someone on their forum asked them and they replied "We're Sony first party. Do the math. :) ".

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
He didn't JUST state his opinions HE ALSO talked on an SOE game which he WASN'T supposed to do. Why do you think developers haven't talked at all yet? Their all under NDAs. Since he was possibly working close to a game thats supposed to be on the PS3 from SOE is one of the main reasons he got fired.

Also, (like I stated earlier) what do you think happens when you talk badly about your own employeer?

SolidSnakex said:
Guerrilla hasn't said they have them, they've strongly hinted to it. Someone on their forum asked them and they replied "We're Sony first party. Do the math. :) ".

CONCLUSIVE THAT IS

Shinobi

sportzhead said:
The funny thing here is, if he said the PS3 was great and it's easy to pump out CG like graphics, all the Sony fanboys would be all over his joke. And I bet he would still have his job.

Yep...and they'd be saying how bad they felt that he lost his job, instead of cheering and pumping their fists as if their team had won the Superbowl. :lol Fucking phonies...

Shinobi said:
Yep...and they'd be saying how bad they felt that he lost his job, instead of cheering and pumping their fists as if their team had won the Superbowl. :lol Fucking phonies...

Oh, they all would. It ain't a Sony thing, it's fanboy thing.

Marathon

Sony's DrGAKMAN
sportzhead said:

Oh give it a rest.

His opinion on anything console related, positive/negative, would go in the exact same place as any other artist's on any platform - the circular bin.

Along with a bunch of other people who's opinions on console hardware and console development are worthless:

Testers
Marketing Types
Producers
Pc developers

Straight to the dumpster.

There is only one group of people whose opinion are of any worth: console engineers. And preferably lead engineers. Unfortunately you will almost never hear direct commentary on console development from the people who are best situated to give the most accurate information.

Lil' Dice

Banned
Nothing on the PS3 is real time. And I won't believe otherwise until I start seeing non-scripted demo reels. Show me a developer playing through a level with AI/lighting/effects implementation, and then we can talk.
Until then I refuse to believe you obsessive Sony fanboys are sincerely serious about your PS3 clamorings :lol

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"Guerrilla hasn't said they have them, they've strongly hinted to it. Someone on their forum asked them and they replied "We're Sony first party. Do the math. "."
again, i said this before - at no point here does it say they have them! Yes, the logical conclusion is that they are saying the do but at the end of the day if they don't they aren't lying.

"Along with a bunch of other people who's opinions on console hardware and console development are worthless:

Testers
Marketing Types
Producers
Pc developers
FANBOYS
"

you missed one.

Izzy

Banned
Matlock said:
"We received one of 5 PS3 dev kits in the United States some time ago. Several companies in the US as well as companies over seas were given the daunting task of creating a demo in less than 9 weeks on a first generation dev kit."

From the same article:

Well my immediate impression of the PS3 is…where is it? Seriously, where is it? They have a case, a controller and a dev kit. But the system still doesn’t even exist. So what is there to say?

Again, where is the box? Where is the final system? When is it coming out? No one knows and in the mean time people in the industry are starting to get just a little salty. I mean I was at e3 2005 and PS3 was almost no where to be seen.

TheDuce22

Banned
Yep...and they'd be saying how bad they felt that he lost his job, instead of cheering and pumping their fists as if their team had won the Superbowl. Fucking phonies...

So they are happy they ruined a perfect strangers life for badmouthing their console? I wont mess with Sony fans anymore. :)

BlueTsunami

TheDuce22 said:
So they are happy they ruined a perfect strangers life for badmouthing their console? I wont mess with Sony fans anymore. :)

Me said:
He didn't JUST state his opinions HE ALSO talked on an SOE game which he WASN'T supposed to do. Why do you think developers haven't talked at all yet? Their all under NDAs. Since he was possibly working close to a game thats supposed to be on the PS3 from SOE is one of the main reasons he got fired.

Also, (like I stated earlier) what do you think happens when you talk badly about your own employeer?

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Unison said:
Remember how Kojima said he could do MGS4 on 360? Maybe he was trying to tell us something?

That comment was in response to Milky's "why do you hate the Xbox" questions. Don't take too much out of it.

xaosslug

thanks a lot, Josh Robinson. now that you've been made an example of NOBODY under NDA is gonna peep shit. :'(

ands if what he saids is truths... Kameo is the future of the third-person adventure genre... OH NOES!

scream2ng.jpg

DCharlie said:
again, i said this before - at no point here does it say they have them! Yes, the logical conclusion is that they are saying the do but at the end of the day if they don't they aren't lying.

Oh come on dude, its pretty obvious what they mean. Guerrilla skates around NDA's like you wouldn't believe so they were just covering their bases.

Lil' Dice

Banned
You all can try your hardest to discredit the man, but the simple truth is that he worked hands-on with deveolpers, and has more credibility then the entire GAF Sony Union could ever hope to have. So, put your fears to rest for the day, keep your chins up and keep hoping for the best :lol

Vibri

Banned
Lil' Dice said:
Nothing on the PS3 is real time. And I won't believe otherwise until I start seeing non-scripted demo reels. Show me a developer playing through a level with AI/lighting/effects implementation, and then we can talk.
Until then I refuse to believe you obsessive Sony fanboys are sincerely serious about your PS3 clamorings :lol

Err, did you see the MGS4 demo where Kojima stopped it, rotated the camera in realtime, changed the lighting etc for around eight minutes?

BlueTsunami

Vibri said:
Err, did you see the MGS4 demo where Kojima stopped it, rotated the camera in realtime, changed the lighting etc for around eight minutes?

Don't try to reason with that particular poster. He seems to be constanly in a weed smoke haze

Shompola

Banned
Vibri said:

Is still scripted though. Dunno what your point is anyway.

Lil' Dice

Banned
Vibri said:

Are you serious? Dont waste my fucking time please :lol
Like i said:
Show me a developer playing through a level with AI/lighting/effects implementation, and then we can talk.

monkeyrun

Vibri said:
that's rendered too, he's just finger syncing :lol :lol

SolidSnakex said:
Oh come on dude, its pretty obvious what they mean. Guerrilla skates around NDA's like you wouldn't believe so they were just covering their bases.

Get real. Guerrilla is a developer for Sony and Sony only, they're not skating around NDA's, and they're not in any danger of punishment from Sony if they were to "break" an NDA one day out of the blue just to please the SonyFAN contingent. Fact of the matter is that you're case study #1 on viral marketing and how it affects mindless and unware fanboys/girls.

Shompola said:
Is still scripted though. Dunno what your point is anyway.

Because according to this guy he isn't really seeing huge poly advances in PS3 games. Snakes model is over 100k polys (his PS2 model is aroud 4k), the Lair dragons are over 100k also.

Marathon said:
Oh give it a rest.

His opinion on anything console related, positive/negative, would go in the exact same place as any other artist's on any platform - the circular bin.

Could you please supply an example of this happening. Anytime a person in the industry has a nice thing to say about a console the fanboys of the opposing companies hijack the thread and call anyone who believes what said industry player revealed an idiot.

I have never seen a thread with a title like "Bill of I Make Video Games loves the Virtual Boy" just die.

Ponn

Banned
Lil' Dice said:
You all can try your hardest to discredit the man, but the simple truth is that he worked hands-on with deveolpers, and has more credibility then the entire GAF Sony Union could ever hope to have. So, put your fears to rest for the day, keep your chins up and keep hoping for the best :lol

None of that matters though for why he was fired. He's stil a dumbass for doing it. I don't care if he worked for Sony, Nintendo or MS. Anyone posts NDA type stuff, false or truthful, and badmouthing the people you work for and signing your shit and making it clear it's you and who you work for I will still laugh my ass off at you and call you a dumbass. Regardless if i'm a fan of what system or not.

Do you take one of those personality profilers for a job interview and actually check mark that you stronglyagree it's okay to badmouth your company in public and to everyone? If so, good luck with that. The company you are working for sure doesn't give a shit what you are a fanboy of or not, they are just looking at what you said, where you said it, and who yu said it too.

Gek54

Incognito said:
Get real. Guerrilla is a developer for Sony and Sony only, they're not skating around NDA's, and they're not in any danger of punishment from Sony if they were to "break" an NDA one day out of the blue just to please the SonyFAN contingent. Fact of the matter is that you're case study #1 on viral marketing and how it affects mindless and unware fanboys/girls.

Yes even first party devs are under threat of a NDA, the lead QA guy Guerilla would face finings or dismisal if he breeched his NDA.

Lil' Dice

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
Don't try to reason with that particular poster. He seems to be constanly in a weed smoke haze

If weed somehow managed to grant me a heightened sense of logic and resoning, then to what can we attribute your state of denial? :lol

xaosslug

Lil' Dice said:

poor thing... keep hope ALIVE, buddy!

BlueTsunami

Incognito said:

Guerrilla Developers on the Official Killzone board (I think on the SCEE site) have been talking directly to forum posters. Thats where the info comes from. They've basically been teasing the posters with info about Killzone 2.

Someone from B3D made their way their and started asking technical questions and thats where the comment stems from (from the possible final devkits)

Lil' Dice said:
If weed somehow managed to grant me a heightened sense of logic and resoning, then to what can we attribute your state of denial? :lol

Denial about what. You play games and thats it. I actually look into how its made. I'm not in the business but I know the difference between realtime and prerendered. To me, you just a forum poster crying foul in a drunken stooper.

Lil' Dice

Banned
Ponn01 said:
None of that matters though for why he was fired. He's stil a dumbass for doing it. I don't care if he worked for Sony, Nintendo or MS. Anyone posts NDA type stuff, false or truthful, and badmouthing the people you work for and signing your shit and making it clear it's you and who you work for I will still laugh my ass off at you and call you a dumbass. Regardless if i'm a fan of what system or not.

Do you take one of those personality profilers for a job interview and actually check mark that you stronglyagree it's okay to badmouth your company in public and to everyone? If so, good luck with that. The company you are working for sure doesn't give a shit what you are a fanboy of or not, they are just looking at what you said, where you said it, and who yu said it too.

Trust me; I realize how unwise his actions were. I work for a large production studio, and am under constant vigil to make sure I don't disclose company secrets. What I find amusing is people who are merely video game enthusiasts discrediting this man simply because he chose not to champion their system of choice.

xaosslug

Incognito said:

crying6rr.jpg

Top Bottom