• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So is Hellblade II now the King of Realistic Graphics?

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
It is the best looking UE5 game to date and porobably for years to come.

(in no particular order)

1) Hellblade II
2) The Last of Us Remake
3) Demon's Souls Remake
4) Alan Wake II
5) Dead Space Remake
6) Horizon: Forbidden West

Horizon, Dead Space are obviously not reallistic cuz it's Sci-Fi, but from the pure technical level it's one of the best looking and true next-gen games of the last 4,5 years - as you can see in the list above, there wasn't many of them so far but it's a good number given how much time it takes to make something like this. I could've also included The Lord of the Fallen Reboot, but character rendering, models and faces in this game are so fuckin' horrible and PS3/X360 like, that I simply can't do that, even though from a pure technical level it's the best looking souls-like after Demon's Souls Remake.

Last edited:

OverHeat

« generous god »

(in no particular order)

1) Hellblade II
2) The Last of Us Remake
3) Demon's Souls Remake
4) Alan Wake II
5) Dead Space Remake

Horizon, Dead Space are obviously not reallistic cuz it's Sci-Fi, but from the pure technical level it's one of the best looking and true next-gen games of the last 4,5 years - as you can see in the list above, there wasn't many of them so far but it's a good number given how much time it takes to make something like this. I could've also included The Lord of the Fallen Reboot, but character rendering, models and faces in this game are so fuckin' horrible and PS3/X360 like, that I simply can't do that, even though from a pure technical level it's the best looking souls-like after Demon's Souls Remake.
Non of the game you talk about are going for realism’s except Alan wake 2

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Non of the game you talk about are going for realism’s except Alan wake 2
What I mean by realism here is the pure technical level of visuals, not the actual realism of the real world and in that sense Alan Wake 2 is also anything but realistic with all its mystical, paranormal and out of this world aspects, which pretty much can be said about Control and Quantum Break as well.

Last edited:

Pelta88

Perhaps. The bigger question is whether the game reached a large enough audience to register or be in contention, and from the numbers, I don’t think it did.

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
the crown will be taken tho as more and more Devs take full advantage of ue5
I'd bet on custom-tech to take over before anything.
Of the major differentiators - virtualized geometry(aka nanite in UE5 world) isn't tech exclusive (anymore), the lighting - it may be me but Lumen just doesn't quite cut it with all the screenspace/temporal issues it has, and character/material pipelines which is really mostly about $$$s spent (so GTAs of the world will eclipse the rest).

Now fingers crossed we stay (or even improve) IQ that Hellblade achieved - the thing that really ruined Matrix demo for me was the image just looked like crap whenever camera moved.

Won’t come close. They’ll go for 60fps, which will lower the extreme visual fidelity, and they won’t mocap the combat with cutscene-like animations.

After Gears 6 I kind of hope they go with a new IP . Does anyone know who the lead is at the studio after Rod Fergusson left?

Last edited:

Fbh

Nah, that's still Plumbers don't wear ties:
1730281-plumber_00195.jpg

A bit heavy on the post processing though

Roberts

I always judged game graphics by how often I want to take a pause and make a screenshot. Funnily enough the game that made me do that the most is Starfield. I mean, it is clearly not the technically most impressive game, but the images it creates are awe-inspiring.

That said, Hellblade 2 is the best atm. Wouldn't be surprised if Death Stranding 2 beats it next year.

Magik85

When it comes to characters, Hellblade 2 is the game to beat.
Overall there are quite few games which are looking very realistic at times.
MFS, GT7 and FH4/5 can nail it with specific lighting conditions.

Shut0wen

(in no particular order)

1) Hellblade II
2) The Last of Us Remake
3) Demon's Souls Remake
4) Alan Wake II
5) Dead Space Remake

Dead space and demon souls dont even compare to the rest of that list

Topher

Gold Member
Most realistic animations I've ever seen. Outside of that, really don't think the terrain and environments stood out as "realistic".

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Realism is a keyword and needs context.

Hellblade II's faces (namely Senua) are at that point (Ninja Theory has always excelled here), but nothing else is. The graphics are good, of course (particularly lighting), but it's still lacking in "realism". Many of the textures up close don't meet the quality and care of Senua's face nor rock geometry, for example, and it is also a very static game. Not much interaction with/from the environment. Water doesn't drip from Senua when she enters/exits, as another example.

Therefore, the most realistic looking game is still a title it falls short of. I'd put Alan Wake 2 above it, especially for environments (of which Wake has many more variations). Senua's face is the best though, no doubt.

Last edited:

fatmarco

Considering what Hellblade 2 actually is, then the matrix awakens tech demo thing is the best.

you can technically "play" it too.

Hellblade 2 looks better than the Matrix tech demo.

It actually runs well, is stable, and has very good image quality all while having higher quality assets than the Matrix demo.

They're both attempting different things (ones smaller environments while the other has to render a large and complex city), but that's not what's being discussed. The debate is over image fidelity overall, and Hellblade is significantly better than that demo.

StueyDuck

Hellblade 2 looks better than the Matrix tech demo.

It actually runs well, is stable, and has very good image quality all while having higher quality assets than the Matrix demo.

They're both attempting different things (ones smaller environments while the other has to render a large and complex city), but that's not what's being discussed. The debate is over image fidelity overall, and Hellblade is significantly better than that demo.
Metals and reflections are far harder to render properly.

The matrix demo is leaps and bounds ahead.

Hellblade 2 has 1 good face because all the budget went onto that face. But the matrix destroys it in almost every facet of rendering.

We are talking the on rails section kind of like hellblade.

The visuals obviously take a hit when it transitions into an open world where you can actually move around, like a real game

So It can't be asked? I don't give a crappie about graphic but the technology behind it is fascinating. Why are you in this thread if it doesn't matter to you?
I'm here to ask the people who think it matters for the reason why they think it matters. If you can ask questions, why can't I?

thief183

I'm here to ask the people who think it matters for the reason why they think it matters. If you can ask questions, why can't I?
Yea, and I answered your question. Also to answer again, it is not that you can't but you shouldn't , acting live a smartass is something that should not be done.

Darsxx82

It is the game that offers the most sensation of CGI or a real movie in motion.... Therefore, yes, it is.

That doesn't mean that it is perfect in all aspects and that there aren't games that try more things, but it is the one that most achieves that sensation of photorealism in a more continuous way (and with AW2 being there, it is quite a compliment to NT).

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Most realistic animations I've ever seen. Outside of that, really don't think the terrain and environments stood out as "realistic".
giphy.gif

I can't believe that you're serious with this.

It's one the most realistic, highly complex and detailed natural environments in the game to date with excellet level of detail and view distance, complex geometry and realistic rock formations, water behaviour etc. etc. All of what you see on the screen was scanned from the real world and in 3D. C'mon, man.

Look at Unknown 9 in comparison...
etOYRRf.jpeg

OfpwM9v.jpeg

QH0YAif.jpeg
Jesus, ugh:sick:

Last edited:
Top Bottom