• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So It's September 11th Today....

Status
Not open for further replies.
DeathNote said:
8th grade science class
Same here. Next period I walked to art class across the hall and kids where really anxious and even cracking jokes. Last peroid of the day, principal made the official announcement. Thousands died. We would have the rest of the week off (school on an army base). Kids cheered.

It was chilling.

o0xmjl.jpg

"I'm teaching every 8-year-old relative to say this, and every 14-year-old to do the same thing with Toy Story. Also, Pokemon hit the US over a decade ago and kids born after Aladdin came out will turn 18 next year."

To think I was in the 5th grade back then... D:

rpmurphy

Rindain said:
It's my common sense/gut speaking. The 10th anniversary is sure to ignite extreme emotions and bring out tons of crazies.
Ok, yeah that kinda makes sense. I hope though it won't happen. It's already tough having to remember the things that we saw on 9/11, and there doesn't need to be other crap making things worse. But people have different ways of coping, some more crazy, but I dunno if you can really blame em. At least I hope the media then won't be preoccupied with covering such activities 24/7 like they did with the mosque and Koran burning.

I remember coming home from school, with the news channel already on I was left shocked, then the second plane went in and then they both collapsed :( then seeing the awful headlines in tomorrows newspapers and the front page had a double spread of people jumping out RIP

GONz

I was in vacations in Paris, between the end of high school and the beginning of university. I clearly remember seeing that dark smoke coming out of the 1st tower, thinking that was a movie... Then when I realize that it would be wrong to have such a long static cut in a movie, the 2nd plane crashed in the 2nd tower and I went O_O

It sunk in rather slowly. We watched the tv all day at school. It was crazy, man. Craziest thing I ever saw. And, no, I can't believe in was 9 years ago. Holy shit.

Kibbles

Dresden said:
Still 11 minutes away for me.

I guess this thread might turn into 'where were you that day' stuff. Which is fine. I was at school and they turned the TV on. We were silent as we watched things burn.

heh
I didn't even know of the attacks till I got home with my sister and my dad was flipping out. Apparently my sister knew as some classes turned on the TV, but not our class, and we were never notified via the morning/afternoon announcements. =\

Hylian7

Was in 6th grade when it happened. We were in the computer lab and the lady running the lab always had this tiny TV at her desk on Fox News every time we were in there. This time there were a million teachers crowded around that TV, then the teacher explained what happened when we went back to the classroom. Then my parents came to take me home. (I live in Texas, with Bush's ranch being within miles, I don't blame them)

GhaleonEB

I'd just walked out of a college business class (investments, IIRC), and the hallways were choked with people looking up in silence at the TVs in that were mounted in the upper corner of the hallways. People were crying, people looked scared. I remember being kind of freaked out, but had to get to my next class. It was there that I learned what happened.

(Side note: in the special edition of Time magazine devoted to the attack, there's a picture of students looking up at the TVs where I came out of my class; the photo is identified as coming from Iowa City. That picture makes the memory really stand out, as it captures exactly where I was when I first learned of it.)

I still get kind of emotional about that day, but these days I'm just sad. Sad at how far backward our country has gone as a result of it.

I was 19 years old when that happened and had JUST returned to LA from 3 month stay in NY a few days prior. My mom woke me up and told me there was some terrorist attack on the WTC with airplanes and I thought she was just saying some crazy shit to get me out of bed and then I got downstairs to see the 2nd plane hit. Holy fuck.

Coeliacus

You all make me feel a bit old. I was just leading up to my exams in my last year of high school. I just remember sitting at home watching rebroadcast of CNN or whatever US channels for ages. It was quite surreal. It wasn't until years later when watching home video footage from someones room on youtube that it had much impact.

Tieno

ninj4junpei said:
o0xmjl.jpg

"I'm teaching every 8-year-old relative to say this, and every 14-year-old to do the same thing with Toy Story. Also, Pokemon hit the US over a decade ago and kids born after Aladdin came out will turn 18 next year."

To think I was in the 5th grade back then... D:
I still had a big ass CRT monitor back then...

00000100486-ViewSonicG90fb19inchCRTmonitor-large.jpeg

Now I have a macbook connected to a 24inch LCD. Times have changed.

iamcenok

9 years.. doesn't really feel it's been that long...

I remember I was in my art class goofing off with my classmates. The dean comes in -- talks to our teacher. She starts crying..

The dean starts talking to the class saying that a plane hit one of the buildings..
None of us knew what that meant at the time, how big of a situation it was. She told us we were going to stay in school for the duration of the day for fear if the students left early who knows what'd happen.

A little later she comes on the PA system and tells us they're letting everybody out of school.

I met with my aunt, we then walked from Manhattan all the way to Brooklyn. That was an 8 hour walk. The image of walking across the bridge and seeing the exodus of people leaving the city is forever ingrained in my head.

___
My other aunt left her old job to work elsewhere months before 9/11. She used to work at WTC.

I was in summer school that year, and the school I was going to was within walking distance to WTC.

I should be freaked out about those two things, but the whole thing is surreal even to this day I can't wrap my head around it.

lupin23rd

I'm in Canada, but obviously hard to forget that day.

Had just started my job a week before (still there), and on the radio to work that morning they were talking about it... I couldn't understand how some idiot flew a plane into a tower, only when I got to work did I realize what they meant...

I work close to Vancouver airport and also remember thinking we'd get a lot of activity and also recall something about an unidentified aircraft coming in.

Vaguely remember a guy from my office (who was of middle eastern descent, and also had the same first and last name) getting into heated arguments over company wide emails relating to donations / fundraising, crazy times.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
9 years already? Man, times flies.

Then again, I just realized the green dot was missing from our names. I may have a health problem.

8th grade algebra. My teacher came in as the bell to begin classes rang, and she looked as though her face was going to crumble as she broke the news to us. It never hit me that day though until I got home from school to watch nonstop coverage of the towers falling. It was hypnotizing after a while.

Clydefrog

I was in high school in Hawaii, getting ready to start the day. My mom woke me up, "wake up, you have to see the news." School didn't last long that day. I remember we just watched the news on a TV in economics class and then went home. Fuck, man. :(

smurfx

get some go again
i was being an insomniac like always and listening the the am feed of the howard stern show on 97.1 here in la. i would usually go to sleep after the show would restart at 6 am and i did but for some reason i turned the tv on and then saw the first tower burning. at first i just thought nothing much of an airplane crashing into the building until the second plane hit and then i turned howard stern back on and i heard his show after that and watched the tv on mute.

mlaz14

In 8th grade getting ready for school and saw both towers collapse on tv before I had to go to school. We pretty much just watched the news all day.

Middle school. Our school kept us all in the dark. The country may have been under a horrific attack, but by God, these kids have to learn about subjects and predicates! Anyway, I'm assuming that if I could go back, I would probably notice the teachers acting odd, and leaving to check the news every once in awhile, but at the time it was just any other day. None of us knew anything. When my mom picked me up after school, I remember the exact spot when she asked, "Did you hear about those people flying those planes into the buildings? The World Trade Center?" That's how she worded it, and I can still see the same view out of the window of the car, and I have no idea why that stuck, since I didn't know how big of a deal this thing was. I honestly wasn't sure what the World Trade Center was. I was embarrassed by this, because I was always really into social studies and I was sort of proud about my knowledge on the subject compared to my classmates.

Anyway, I remember going home, still not thinking anything much of the planes. I walk in, and in the living room is my Dad, watching the footage. My older sister's there too, and I remember her saying how in the high school, they were watching the news, thinking it was an accident and then the second plane hit. I remember watching the towers fall (Replays), and being a stupid kid, I remember shrugging as they did. I didn't even realize that there were still people in there. It still didn't really hit me until the following morning, seeing NYC covered in dust and smoke. Then I kind of got it. This was big. At school that day, we spent most of our classes discussing the attacks, what we'd heard, what we saw on TV. There was a lot of absolute crap. One kid said he saw people being cut in half in the street, some girl heard that China did it, and so on.

That's when I started watching the news. It's what "woke me up," Death of Innocence, and all that stuff.

Eteric Rice

God, time goes to fucking fast.

9 years ago today, at 9 AM, I was cutting grass at my grandma's apartments when a tenant came out and told us that one of the towers had collapsed.

Jakeh111

College library picking up some books for class

edit: this thread has made me feel old when you guys say you were in 5th grade lol

Kccitystar

It's tragic that somehow the city has spent almost $7 billion to rebuild that entire site but in the past 9 years there hasn't been much of anything done in that space that the towers left after they fell.

People are bitching more about a community center being built blocks down FROM ground zero than bitching about why there hasn't been anything built ON ground zero yet.

Spooks

I still remember the day vividly. Walking into 9th grade World Geography seeing my teacher in tears with the radio on and her explaining what just happened. I remember just getting sick to my stomach heh. My mom ended up checking me and my other siblings out of school. Probably the most memorable part was walking through a Wal-Mart and just seeing everyone just kind of glazed over. The attacks/news being replayed on the tv's they have in the store. Really surreal moment.

Hope I never have to experience something like that ever again.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
9/11 was really when the 90s died. Everything seems like it has gone downhill since then. I remember right before they cut to a picture of the WTC, they were interviewing Ray Romano about "Everybody loves Raymond."

I remember watching TV when the second plane hit. I had only been watching for about 60 seconds and wasn't really sure what was going on. I remember vomiting after seeing that and hitting me what just happened. I still remember that feeling, that realization that I just watch hundreds of people die on live tv.

I remember watching the 1st tower fall and the anchor, I can't remember who it was, but a pro along the lines of dan rather, was completely silent for the longest time. It was eerie, and I bet he got in trouble for it, but it was the perfect response to the situation because that's how we all felt. We didn't know what to think, we just sat there with our mouths agape.

I've kind have made it a habit/tradition to listen to Dream Theater's Sacrificed Sons on 9/11.

I remember my brother getting dressed to go to work in the morning at 388 Greenwich street (he used to work at 7 world trade center) for smith Barney.
I was in college and I was late as always. (went to school in midtown) I took the "F" train and got off at 42nd street at exactly 8:46, and I remember that because i would always look at the clock on the token booth clerk's booth to see the time. as I made my way up to class, everyone is more distracted than usual and everyone is talking about a small plane hitting the tower and whether it was an accident, well when the second one hit it was damn obvious.
never have i seen a school empty out so quick and never will, for whatever reason i stood there and went to read the news on the internet. and yes I started posting on GAF, :D :lol as a matter of fact, goodcow has the archives of that and you can see me posting that day.
my friend Michael came back from outside and he was beet red and mad, so I asked what happened and that's when he told the towers went down.
at that point walking out of Manhattan was our only choice, except our classmate, her name was Jennifer had high heels on (we were supposed to do some mock interview thing I remember) so we had to go to Macy's on 34th street and buy sneakers for her, meanwhile we're the last few customers left in Macy's, Michael is mad as hell wanting to leave ASAP and i'm just bewildered wondering what happened to my brother.(didn't have a cell phone back then, just a poor college student)

as my mother would later tell me, when the attacks happened, smoke and soot and burnt paper ended up all the way in Brooklyn inside our house. that's more than five miles away!!! when I got home there was so much dust I thought a volcano went off.

my brother got home many, many hours later after me, (he had to go drink after seeing so many people jumping ) and I have a picture of him as the towers are falling in the background and he's standing there in the foreground staring at them going down. I remember watching the news at midnight and crying as I fell asleep. only time I've ever cried at the news. it was just so many pent up emotions.

Kccitystar said:
It's tragic that somehow the city has spent almost $7 billion to rebuild that entire site but in the past 9 years there hasn't been much of anything done in that space that the towers left after they fell.

People are bitching more about a community center being built blocks down FROM ground zero than bitching about why there hasn't been anything built ON ground zero yet.

Ehm. There's been a shitload of construction dude.

4975475773_6c32508c06_b.jpg

4974360517_34906f3849_b.jpg

5085633.jpg

And timeline video:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/09/10/nyregion/2010-wtc.html?hp

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
rpmurphy said:
Ok, yeah that kinda makes sense. I hope though it won't happen. It's already tough having to remember the things that we saw on 9/11, and there doesn't need to be other crap making things worse. But people have different ways of coping, some more crazy, but I dunno if you can really blame em. At least I hope the media then won't be preoccupied with covering such activities 24/7 like they did with the mosque and Koran burning.

Sometimes I think our overreaction to 9/11 has been more damaging to the US then 9/11 itself, which is what the terrorists would have wanted.

I do remember losing my job the week before (I sucked at it). I had a job interview scheduled for that day, it got cancelled, they never rescheduled. I was grocery shopping when I first heard about the Pentagon. Going nowhere in life, seeing this, then deciding to work towards joining the military- if my life was going nowhere might as well fight these bastards was my train of thought.

Married & divorced.

BTW, I can't believe all the current mosque/burning-quran/war shit still going on.

It is the 21st century and we are fighting "holy wars". That is so fucking pathetic.

smurfx

get some go again
speculawyer said:
Married & divorced.

BTW, I can't believe all the current mosque/burning-quran/war shit still going on.

It is the 21st century and we are fighting "holy wars". That is so fucking pathetic.
well there is an election coming up so its to be expected.

It's kinda funny and sad that after all that shit that went down, now we just kind of have a new holiday. In like, 30 years or so, people will just be grilling on 9/11, a last excuse to get outside before the cold weather starts.

Can't really tell if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
What are they even putting in those giant imprints where the towers were? I'm still disappointed they didn't just rebuild them :/

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
theinfinityissue said:
It's kinda funny and sad that after all that shit that went down, now we just kind of have a new holiday. In like, 30 years or so, people will just be grilling on 9/11, a last excuse to get outside before the cold weather starts.

Can't really tell if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

I think it would be a sad thing.

Karma said:
Was at a Managers meeting in Florida. Was scheduled to fly home that evening.

How long were you stranded?

Kagari said:
What are they even putting in those giant imprints where the towers were? I'm still disappointed they didn't just rebuild them :/

With one extra level, just as an extra "fuck you."

Kagari said:

Waterfalls.

788756-T800600.jpg

Watch the NYT video I linked to, its very interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom