• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So we've reached the point where it's pretty much unquestionable that 2023 is the greatest year ever in gaming, right?

Will 2023 Be the Greatest Year Ever in Gaming?

• Yes

Votes: 92 21.6%
  • No (which year beats it?)

Votes: 333 78.4%

• Total voters

mxbison

No, not even close.

How many of those games will end up impacting the whole genre or industry? Some years like 1998 had 5 or 6 of those and then another 10-15 great games to add. Probably won't ever happen again.

ahtlas7

1 mile wide but 2 inches deep is how I feel about this year’s games. The year looks good on paper though with some standouts like Hogwarts.

AGRacing

Ice Cube Reaction GIF

Look up 2001.
Amen.

2001. The GOAT.

Fools idol

Banned
THPS2, Majora's Mask, Perfect Dark, Jet Set Radio, NOLF, Crazy Taxi, Counter Strike, Thief 2, MDK2, Sacrifice, Shogun Total War, Red Alert 2, Alice, Mechwarrior 4, Icewind Dale and many many many more. That was stupidly great year.
and i was a poor kid at the time that could only beg borrow and steal games lol. Still managed to play most of them in the year they came out!

RyRy93

TOTK and BG3 have reviewed insanely well already, there’s a decent chance we see another once in a generation type game in Starfield and ACVI.

Not since 2017 have we seen two games score in the high 90s, personally though 2015 is my favourite of the last decade at least.

Last edited:

Hudo

1999 for me:

Heroes of Might and Magic 3
System Shock 2
Age of Empires II
Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun
Homeworld
Soul Reaver
Freespace 2
Alpha Centauri
Planescape Torment
Rayman 2
GTA 2
Street Fighte III: 3rd Strike
Quake III

NahaNago

I would call it a good to great year. It seems like a lot of these games were good but like the fanfare disappeared pretty quickly after release. How many people will be talking about these games outside of a year list war in a few years.

Madflavor

I think anyone who says 2023 hasn't been a great year for gaming is being too much of a try hard, and is also probably dead inside. We're a little more than halfway through but we've had so many bangers come out already, and we still have Armored Core VI, Spiderman 2, and Starfield to look forward to. If the games that have come out this year weren't enough to put a smile on your face, you might want to rethink your hobby.

I would call it a good to great year. It seems like a lot of these games were good but like the fanfare disappeared pretty quickly after release. How many people will be talking about these games outside of a year list war in a few years.
A lot.

Tears of the Kingdom, Baldur's Gate 3, RE4R, Street Fighter VI and likely Starfield will be played for years to come. Fanfare hasn't disappeared, it's just that this is a very crowded year with back to back big game releases.

Last edited:

NahaNago

A lot.

Tears of the Kingdom, Baldur's Gate 3, RE4R, Street Fighter VI and likely Starfield will be played for years to come. Fanfare hasn't disappeared, it's just that this is a very crowded year with back to back big game releases.
Zelda is the norm for long term discussion it is also a sequel so that might kill some fanfare even if it doesn't kill the sales and street fighter is an esport so that should last a couple of years. For RE4R I honestly don't hear anything about that game ever. Starfield and Baldur's Gate is complicated. Will Baldur's Gate have a lot of love on console or is it just console war hype. Starfield has been relatively quiet and I just don't know how good it will do(plus gamepass).

JoduanER2

Already released:

• The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom --> DLC
  • Street Fighter 6 --> Game number 6, boring!
  • Resident Evil 4 --> Remake
  • Diablo IV --> lets not talk about this one :'(
  • Hi-Fi Rush --> I don't have ADHD, so I'm not the target audience
  • Metroid Prime --> Remastered
  • Pikmin 4 --> Number four in the series... been there, done that... meh
  • Quake II --> 60 years old, feels like WWII people used it to train for warfare
  • Dave the Diver --> I'm so done with pixelated/ retro gaming
  • Hogwarts Legacy
  • Baldur's Gate 3
  • Star Wars Jedi: Survivor --> kinda broken release
  • Final Fantasy XVI --> meh
  • Dead Space --> Remake

So this year was
  • Hogwarts Legacy
  • Baldur's Gate 3

While great games, but nowhere near "greatest year ever in gaming".
Agree with all points. Good games but more of the same... remake after remake and milk to hell franchises.

Drizzlehell

Banned
It's definitely a good year to be a gamer, I agree, but I would probably hesitate to call it the greatest ever.

I'm just happy that there are enough kickass games coming out that I'm genuinely lamenting the fact that I won't have enough time to play all of them. And I'm a bachelor for fuck's sake - all I've got is free time!

Also, looking back at the first half of the year, there was a lot of good shit in there too. Dead Space, Hogwarts, Atomic Heart, Resident Evil 4, Horizon Burning Shores, Jedi Survivor, System Shock, Final Fantasy 16, Baldur's Gate 3... and a whole heap of smaller titles that I had a personal interest in, even if they weren't very highly regarded. And then there was the entire launch of PSVR 2 which was also a pretty big thing.

Jesus, there are so many god damned games this year it's almost overwhelming, lol.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
This year has been complete ass....Liked the OG Dead Space no interest in re-playing it, Never been a Zelda fan, RE is my least fav popluar gaming series of all time so thats out SF6 might have been for me personally the biggest letdown ever (went back to 5 and have a whole new appreciation for it now it got so much right) FF has completely removed itself from everything that made old school FF great and Tekken isn't coming this year PS5 is in decent stock and a new model is coming but I have zero reason to get one since GGear and R&C the only PS5 games I cared about came to PC, Xbox killed emulation so I keep my systems offline for retail mode so thats also out

Absolutely nothing I like or care about releasing this year other than Armored Core 6. and Starfield.....the pc specs are so low cross gen is basically still in effect overall so I also have no reason to upgrade my PC......2023 isn't a bad gaming year its a very boring year

BbMajor7th

I've honestly been pretty bored. A lot of sequels that are ultimately more of the same (Diablo IV, Pikmin 4, TOTK, Star Wars Jedi: Survivor), some slightly more interesting sequels in very long-running series (FFXVI, SFVI), some really solid remakes/remasters (Dead Space, RE4, Metroid Prime, Quake II) and finally a few things that feel really new: Hi-Fi Rush, Baldur's Gate III and Hogwarts Legacy and only really Baldur's Gate III feels truly special.

For me 2015 was better: Bloodborne, The Witcher 3 and MGSV made for a far more compelling year.

Pretty good except Metal Gear Solid, a game which literally changed gaming as a whole came out in 1998 along with another revolutionary game called Ocarina of Time. These two alone did more gaming than anything this year.
Now if Elden Ring came out this year it would be a draw but as it is 98 was the year…
Half life also came out that year - changed games forever.

StarCraft, baldurs gate 2, fallout, unreal, banjo kazooie, resident evil 2, thief - also we’re pretty influential in their own right

Elden ring coming out this year would not put it at a draw

EDIT: that doesn’t mean this year isn’t great though - imo it’s probably the best year for video games in 20 years. Those older ones are impossible to beat as video games at that point we’re not nearly as advanced

Last edited:

cortadew

I've honestly been pretty bored. A lot of sequels that are ultimately more of the same (Diablo IV, Pikmin 4, TOTK, Star Wars Jedi: Survivor), some slightly more interesting sequels in very long-running series (FFXVI, SFVI), some really solid remakes/remasters (Dead Space, RE4, Metroid Prime, Quake II) and finally a few things that feel really new: Hi-Fi Rush, Baldur's Gate III and Hogwarts Legacy and only really Baldur's Gate III feels truly special.

For me 2015 was better: Bloodborne, The Witcher 3 and MGSV made for a far more compelling year.
Unfortunately The Phantom Pain did not live up to the hype and was a very sour conclusion.

Klik

1999 for me:

Heroes of Might and Magic 3
I hope one day we will get better AI with this game, AI deep learning or whatever. This is only what this game is missing, better AI. The graphics, music, level editors,gameplay is just amazing.

Didnt play it for like 10-15 years..

BbMajor7th

Unfortunately The Phantom Pain did not live up to the hype and was a very sour conclusion.
Yeah, there were a lot of issues, but the actual gameplay had me hooked for hours. It's very much it's own kind of beast and plays more like Breath of the Wild than any Western contemporaries, which was really cool - I think what's killing my hype at the minute isn't necessarily a lack of polish or perfect execution. It's just seeing every studio converge on the same few design principles and it makes me bored.

Last edited:

cortadew

Yeah, there were a lot of issues, but the actual gameplay had me hooked for hours. It's very much it's own kind of beast and plays more like Breath of the Wild than any Western contemporaries, which was really cool - I think what's killing my hype at the minute isn't necessarily a lack of polish or perfect execution. It's just seeing every studio converge on the same few design principles and it makes me bored.
Yes, I agree the gameplay is the best the series had up to that point but the repetitive side missions, the inconsistencies in the plot and the villain itself didn't make the game a solid entry, Kojima didn't know how to handle such an ambitious project and it got out of hand.

Tomeru

How are TotK and Baldur's Gate 3 not paradigm shifting games? Not to mention the scope of a game like Starfield.
I dunno about Totk, but BG3's (one of the best games I've had the pleasure of experiencing ) paradigm shift is "release a competent and complete package without scummy practices". If this the paradigm shift that everyone makes it out to be... You know? Lets pour one for the industry.

aclar00

Guess my taste are limited....i only played 1 on your release list and only have plans to play 1 on the coming soon list....so id say no...and the one i played (FFXVI) was medicore at best.

Hugare

Nothing that I've played so far that made me go "this is one of the GOATs", but there were a lot of good games this year so far (and more to come)

I'm still early on BG 3, so there's a chance there. TotK was good, but more of the same.

I also have no hope that Starfield is gonna be that game. Just good, even great, but not one of the best.

TIGERCOOL

Definitely up there OP.

I hope everyone who wrote "not even close" in this thread is enjoying their well earned and very impressive videogame forum hipster cred.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
And OP doesn’t even mention the System Shock Remake, which was the best game this year so far. :(

But still, no. It‘s hard to beat 2001 and 2008. Not because the games back then were better per se but they were neeewwwwww. Even the best games today are just… been there, done that…

Madflavor

Goddamn. Some of the responses on here make me question why some people still play games as a hobby. If you don't think at the very least that 2023 has simply been a "good" year for games, then you might want to consider the possibility that you're suffering from burnout, with a dash of being jaded. With Starfield, Armored Core VI and Spiderman 2 still on the horizon, there's not a snowball's chance in hell that will 2023 will be looked back on as a so-so year in gaming if at least one of those are great, especially when games like Baldur's Gate 3, Zelda ToTK, RE4R, Street Fighter VI, (all games that have scored well into the 90s on MC) have come out. BG3 and SFVI have revitalized interest in their respective genres, and ToTK is still selling like crazy.

I have a feeling that I will be continuously replaying Lies of P and Resident Evil 4 Remake so it will be a great year for me. I am looking forward to Test Drive Unlimited: Solar Crown and Tekken 8 in 2024 as well. With my particular tastes I usually have one or two games every year that I find captivating, so for me every year has something the others do not and thus I cannot choose a favorite.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I think this discussion is kind of stupid and pointless, but 2023 only looks good because it comes after two of the most barren years. Whereas the other years cited in this thread were just part of a broader trend of companies putting out tons of great games.

Lupin25

It’s good, but no.

Even with Starfield, Alan Wake 2, Spider-Man 2 & Avatar all coming soon... This year just seems iterative… with few disappointments.

2024 has more next-gen potential:

Tekken 8, Silent Hill 2 (Remake)
STALKER 2, FF VII Rebirth, Rise of the Ronin
Hollow Knight Silksong, Little Nightmares III
Hades II, Stellar Blade, Star Wars: Outlaws
Yakuza! Like a Dragon 8, The FINALS,
Dragon Age: Origins, Wolverine,
GTA VI, maybe DS2?

Last edited:

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
2023 is going to be a fantastic year, but I think one thing it's lacking are truly revolutionary, genre-defining games. That's why I don't think we'll ever see a year that beats 1998. The long-term impact of Ocarina of Time, Half-Life, Resident Evil 2, StarCraft, etc. is just untouchable.

Hell, the two most critically acclaimed games of this year (TotK and Baldur's Gate 3) still draw deeply from the foundation established by the 1998 entries in their franchises.
Glaring MGS omission.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Already released:
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
  • Street Fighter 6
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Diablo IV
  • Hi-Fi Rush
  • Metroid Prime Remastered
  • Pikmin 4
  • Quake II
  • Dave the Diver
  • Hogwarts Legacy
  • Baldur's Gate 3
  • Star Wars Jedi: Survivor
  • Final Fantasy XVI
  • Dead Space
  • Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon
  • Sea of Stars

I see a lot of sequels, a smattering of remakes and remasters, couple of big mainstream IP franchise titles and very little in the way of anything new.

Still to come:
  • Forza Motorsport
  • Alan Wake II
  • Lies of P
  • Goodbye Volcano High
  • Cities:Skylines 2
  • Marvel's Spider-Man 2
  • Assassin's Creed Mirage
  • Cocoon
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III
  • Starfield
  • Persona 5 Tactica
  • Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name
  • Super Mario Bros. Wonder
  • Mortal Kombat 1
  • Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty
  • Super Mario RPG
  • Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine 2

I see a lot, a real lot of sequels, spin offs, couple of big mainstream IP franchise titles and relatively little in the way of anything new and exciting.

what the fuck

If this is what constitutes a great year, I don't want to think what a bad year looks like.

TonyK

Even if this year the games are great and I'm enjoying them a lot, I don't have the feeling is the best year in gaming because almost any release is the same as always. I think, apart from Starfield, everything are sequels. That can't be compared with the feeling of playing the first Metal Gear, Tomb Raider, the first Resident Evil, Wipeout, Zelda in 3D, etc... That was like a revolution, something magical that never will happen again.

For example, two of the games that I enjoyed more this year have been remakes. And yes, I love Resident Evil 4 and Dead Space remakes, but the feeling of playing them now, even with the fancy graphics, it's a pale shadow of what it was to play the originals at release.

This is the best year of gaming of the new era of franchises and remakes, but it can't be the best year in gaming as overall, as new IPs have almost disappear.

acidagfc

It's only good compared to the covid draught of the last few years.
Finally some good fucking games, but not even close to being best year ever, as the many lists already posted prove.

darrylgorn

With the top 3 best games of all time (BG3, Zelda and Starfield), it's difficult to argue otherwise.

And I've been though all of gaming's iterations.

Yes.

Yes, this is the best year of gaming to date.

Last edited:
Top Bottom