• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So what it is about Bloober Team that everyone around here seems to hate so much?

ungalo

I don't think they deserve any hate, but saying they're not a good studio is not hate, if that's what bother you.

They showed they're definitely fans of Silent Hill, doesn't mean they understand it but i don't doubt their passion about it and their passion about their own craft.

I still think they do pretty mediocre stuff but i don't have much interest in remakes so i will watch all of this from afar as always. If people get mad about the remake it would be funny to me.

Last edited:

AngelMuffin

Bloober and The Medium got hate because it was a not so impressive Xbox timed exclusive. Console war stuff, now that they are working on PlayStations silent hill remake, you’ll see some weird shifting opinions.
Could it be that SHII is a known commodity and just miles better than The Medium?

Because people want to bitch about something because they can. I've publically defended Bloober Team as being a competent developer and will likely do the game justice, though I wanted BluePoint Games myself.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I don't think they deserve any hate, but saying they're not a good studio is not hate, if that's what bother you.
If it was just that then it wouldn't be a big deal. But in reality every time someone mentions them then it's an open season for who can dunk on them the most. Things only got worse after the SH2 remake announcement.

fart town usa

Gold Member
They aren't very good at delivering the story they want to tell and their games aren't very fun to play.

Clearly my personal tastes but I do think they have major potential, just gotta practice some self restraint and explore deeper gameplay mechanics. Their games really are walking simulators for the most part.

They aren't anywhere near are nuanced as they think they are. Most of their plot themes are hamfisted and induce eye rolling/groaning.

Hugare

Great timing, OP

I started playing it yesterday for the first time. Not even for 1h so far, but the graphics impressed me. Really great world design.

I think people here hate the game for being a so-so Xbox exclusive (Days Gone was mediocre and people make a new thread for it almost every week), and people on ERA hate the game due to its "representation of mental illness", some bullshit like that

Gamespot gave it a 9, IGN gave it an 8, and most publications gave it a good score

I'm cautiously optimistic for SH 2

"Bloober Team cant make good gameplay", mf dont tell me that you play SH 2 for the gameplay, alright?

killatopak

mf dont tell me that you play SH 2 for the gameplay, alright?
yes-giga-chad.gif

I'm sorry that your wet dream to put an entire studio out of business just because you imagined that their games have been poorly received hasn't been realised yet.
You don't really practice what you preach do you? Earlier you got upset that I was making "putting words in your mouth" (which I wasn't, but in your fantasy I was) do you realize what you are doing right now goofball?

No where did I say in that post that I hope that they go under. I simply stated an opinion saying that I am SURPRISED they haven't gone under. There is a big dfference there. Lol, the hypocrisy and lack of self awareness is astounding.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I'm just going to go on record to say that I really, really enjoyed The Medium.

It was a purposefully retro-vibed survival horror game that was swimming in 7s in the best possible way.

And the game is freaking gorgeous as well:

50885191672_8e79c15883_o.png

50884251048_0c61dff742_o.png

50885074167_e74e10aab4_o.png

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Layers of Fear - 74/7.2 average on Metacritic, very positive on Steam
Observer - 78/7.6 average on Metacritic, very positive on Steam
Layers of Fear 2 - 70/6.8 average on Metacritic, mostly positive on Steam
Blair Witch - 69/6.3 average on Metacritic, mostly positive on Steam
The Medium - 75/7.1 average on Metacritic, very positive on Steam

Call me crazy but those don't seem like bad ratings.

And I know it sounds like I'm defending them a lot but many people around here seem to have a really huge hate-boner for that company, to the point where you can see flat out incorrect statements like these. I'm just here to set the record straight.
A 70s studio remaking a game in the 90s isn't a good fit. If it was gonna be ps5 exclusive anyways they should have got bluepoint or naughty dog

Drizzlehell

Banned
You don't really practice what you preach do you? Earlier you got upset that I was making "putting words in your mouth" (which I wasn't, but in your fantasy I was) do you realize what you are doing right now goofball?

No where did I say in that post that I hope that they go under. I simply stated an opinion saying that I am SURPRISED they haven't gone under. There is a big dfference there. Lol, the hypocrisy and lack of self awareness is astounding.
Doesn't feel that great, doesn't it?

Drizzlehell

Banned
A 70s studio remaking a game in the 90s isn't a good fit. If it was gonna be ps5 exclusive anyways they should have got bluepoint or naughty dog
That wasn't the point of that list. He was saying that none of their games were well received and then tried to weasel out of that statement instead of taking the L.

I said it a number of times in this thread already, but I don't feel fully confident in their ability to make this remake good either. However, I do think that they at least have some proper talent in certain key areas such as presentation, atmosphere, and puzzles, which really are some of the most important elements of a good Silent Hill game. That kinda makes me hopeful that they can pull it off.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Oh so you admit that you are trying to bait people in with your "discussions" and then twist the narrative and troll to whoever replies to your arguments? Ok. Ignored.
Come on dude, at least have the spine to admit when you were wrong. Their games were well received and what you said was not true. Period. There's really nothing more to this discussion than that.

Come on dude, at least have the spine to admit when you were wrong. Their games were well received and what you said was not true. Period. There's really nothing more to this discussion than that.
He really has it out for Blooper Team and has shit on them and their games in the past. That's his right I suppose, but their games have scored pretty well in the review department and that's an L he will have to swallow.
They most likely will. Which is going to be sad. Konami was too fucking lazy in finding the right developer. In all honestly, Sony should have funded Konami and have Konami make it themselves. Blooper Team is so trash, I tried many of their games. They are nothing but utter junk and poor gameplay mechanics with awful pacing. Idk who was in their right mind to give it to Blooper Team. The Medium was kind of a shitty game :/
This is what I said in the exact same thread:
Blooper Team are an alright studio, I don't understand the moaning about them when most people haven't even played their games. Layers of Fear, The Medium and Observer were solid on the whole, despite being quite short in my opinion. We could do a hell of a lot worse, take a look at Grove Street Games for example.
And I was right, we could do a hell of a lot worse when it comes to developers.

StueyDuck

We've clearly played different blooper games...

Uninspired, bland, poorly designed, poorly written, poorly optimized, 0 effort, copy cat games.

They have built a career around doing things barely well but with ok graphics essentially. And Konami made a moronic hot shit decision entrusting that idiot team with SH2.

I just hope they don't fuck it up too badly so SH doesn't disappear again

Now the no/code studios SH game is genius. With only 2 titles so far in which they did not even design to be horror they absolutely nail atmosphere and good writing. They have quickly become one of my favorite studios

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Now the no/code studios SH game is genius. With only 2 titles so far in which they did not even design to be horror they absolutely nail atmosphere and good writing. They have quickly become one of my favorite studios
See, this is what's really bizarre to me. An English developer with 2 low budget indie titles to their name that bordered on a visual novel gets a pass, but a developer like Bloober with some actual horror games in their portfolio that previously nailed the Silent Hill aesthetic is somehow poo poo.

I enjoyed Stories Untold and Observation but Silent Hill is the furthest thing away from the kind of games that they've made so far, so what makes them such a great choice all of a sudden?

peronmls

Zero substance in their games and their ideas are generic and mediocre. They probably got the job because they are low budget and asked first. Akira is not doing SFX and the shots and texture work is not being done by Ito. Just overseeing the project.

StueyDuck

See, this is what's really bizarre to me. An English developer with 2 low budget indie titles to their name that bordered on a visual novel gets a pass, but a developer like Bloober with some actual horror games in their portfolio that previously nailed the Silent Hill aesthetic is somehow poo poo.

I enjoyed Stories Untold and Observation but Silent Hill is the furthest thing away from the kind of games that they've made so far, so what makes them such a great choice all of a sudden?
I don't know how you can actually play something like the Blair witch or layers of fear and think they are comparable to an even ok game let alone a good game.

The Scottish team put out 2 completely unique titles that have creative and interesting mechanics while being enriched by some really solid writing.

Which game mechanic in a blooper game really stood out to you as inventive or unique. I can't tell if people act disingenuous about blooper because they want to "get back at SH fans" or something.

Like I'd understand someone saying it's a guilty pleasure and admitting their games are lifeless bad imitations of popular titles before.

But saying it's anything more than that truly baffles me. Maybe I played LoF and BW wrong or something and missed all these incredible moments.

The medium I couldn't even get past the intro it was just that boring (and ran horrifically on 3080 which was literally the best card on the market at release basicslly)

Also for a horror studio that makes horror games...none of their games are scary or horrifying at all.

Last edited:

According to Wikipedia only two of their games actually have full articles. And ironically both of said games are less criticically well recieved than Bloober's releases lol.
i6aYWdMFMn4q.png

5J4roebW2oID.png
JQ0qRVyzjUqj.png

You know it's funny Drizzlehell Drizzlehell , we're the only two people in this thread defending Blooper's honour and not unnecessarily crapping on them lol. We should get a shoutout in the remake's credits.

Three

I think it's fine because they don't need to do anything original regarding gameplay or story with a SH remake. They can concentrate on making it look good which is something they're actually not bad at.

Last edited:

Gojiira

Do you mean beyond the non-gameplay OP? I mean that alone is enough of a red flag. The Medium plays like a walking sim with a budget and a contrived, boring plot.
Bloober just havent proven they can make a horror game where the horror is ever present and not just ‘Booooo spoopy jumpscare’.
Creative Assembly would have been a perfect choice, Alien Isolation is just a great horror experience, the love that went into the sound, atmosphere, textures, lighting etc provided a genuinely authentic Alien game and was actually nerve wracking. Bloober havent come close to making me dread opening a door…

Edit: And for the people defending Bloober and confused at the defence of another smaller studio taking a stab at SH, the difference is Bloober is remaking SH2…One of the greatest horror games ever made not some unknown spinoff. For a high profile remake you woukd expect a high profile dev right? Same reason nobody is excited at the prospect of that unknown chinese dev remaking MGS3…..

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Do you mean beyond the non-gameplay OP? I mean that alone is enough of a red flag. The Medium plays like a walking sim with a budget and a contrived, boring plot.
Bloober just havent proven they can make a horror game where the horror is ever present and not just ‘Booooo spoopy jumpscare’.
Creative Assembly would have been a perfect choice, Alien Isolation is just a great horror experience, the love that went into the sound, atmosphere, textures, lighting etc provided a genuinely authentic Alien game and was actually nerve wracking. Bloober havent come close to making me dread opening a door…
Honestly creative assembly would have been a great fit for SH2 remake plus they have Sega as a partner so they know how to work with foreign partners.

But noooo, we need more GAAS titles apparently.

Honestly creative assembly would have been a great fit for SH2 remake plus they have Sega as a partner so they know how to work with foreign partners.

But noooo, we need more GAAS titles apparently.
Silent Hill is a strategy game now? Why was I not informed of this development?! People forget that Alien: Isolation did average in terms of criticial reviews with the main complaints being the "filler content" of most of the campaign and the Xenomorph AI being inconsistent. A lot of the popularity with this game came from the fact that Aliens: Colonial Marines killed the market and the obnoxious loud playthroughts on YT.
1TALP1fTizzf.png

Drizzlehell

Banned
I don't know how you can actually play something like the Blair witch or layers of fear and think they are comparable to an even ok game let alone a good game.

The Scottish team put out 2 completely unique titles that have creative and interesting mechanics while being enriched by some really solid writing.

Which game mechanic in a blooper game really stood out to you as inventive or unique. I can't tell if people act disingenuous about blooper because they want to "get back at SH fans" or something.

Like I'd understand someone saying it's a guilty pleasure and admitting their games are lifeless bad imitations of popular titles before.

But saying it's anything more than that truly baffles me. Maybe I played LoF and BW wrong or something and missed all these incredible moments.

The medium I couldn't even get past the intro it was just that boring (and ran horrifically on 3080 which was literally the best card on the market at release basicslly)

Also for a horror studio that makes horror games...none of their games are scary or horrifying at all.
You're entitled to your opinion of course but I feel completely the opposite about their games. They're very creative in terms of set pieces and presentation and I enjoyed their games long before they got involved in SH, so I'm not trying to "get back" at anyone.

I also don't see how games like Stories Untold are any more creative when it was also pretty much a collection of interesting gimmicks with very minimalistic gameplay. Not unlike Layers of Fear or Observer, for instance. I can still remember getting a bit of a mindfuck with the gramophone puzzle in Layers of Fear. At first I thought that I was seeing things when I noticed that some of the level geometry got a little messed up, and then I thought that the game was straight up breaking, only to realize that the entire environment actually started to melt as if it was made of huge chunks of paint and spinning the gramphone crank either progressed or reversed the process of melting. It was really memorable and messed with your head in a very subtle manner.

And that's just one of many examples of cool set pieces that they put into their games. I don't see how's that any different from the text adventure game that started to manifest around your player character in Stories Untold.

Drizzlehell

Banned

Edit: And for the people defending Bloober and confused at the defence of another smaller studio taking a stab at SH, the difference is Bloober is remaking SH2…One of the greatest horror games ever made not some unknown spinoff. For a high profile remake you woukd expect a high profile dev right? Same reason nobody is excited at the prospect of that unknown chinese dev remaking MGS3…..
Most of the people who worked on Alien Isolation have left CA a long time ago and it was more of a miracle that the game turned out the way it did anyway, so I wouldn't bet on current-day CA either.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Silent Hill is a strategy game now? Why was I not informed of this development?! People forget that Alien: Isolation did average in terms of criticial reviews with the main complaints being the "filler content" of most of the campaign and the Xenomorph AI being inconsistent. A lot of the popularity with this game came from the fact that Aliens: Colonial Marines killed the market and the obnoxious loud playthroughts on YT.
1TALP1fTizzf.png
You need to give up on the wiki pedia entries 🤣 they aren't some gotcha like you think they are.

Reviewers are numbskulls they hardly have brains

Last edited:

StueyDuck

You're entitled to your opinion of course but I feel completely the opposite about their games. They're very creative in terms of set pieces and presentation and I enjoyed their games long before they got involved in SH, so I'm not trying to "get back" at anyone.

I also don't see how games like Stories Untold are any more creative when it was also pretty much a collection of interesting gimmicks with very minimalistic gameplay. Not unlike Layers of Fear or Observer, for instance. I can still remember getting a bit of a mindfuck with the gramophone puzzle in Layers of Fear. At first I thought that I was seeing things when I noticed that some of the level geometry got a little messed up, and then I thought that the game was straight up breaking, only to realize that the entire environment actually started to melt as if it was made of huge chunks of paint and spinning the gramphone crank either progressed or reversed the process of melting. It was really memorable and messed with your head in a very subtle manner.

And that's just one of many examples of cool set pieces that they put into their games. I don't see how's that any different from the text adventure game that started to manifest around your player character in Stories Untold.
Sounds like you just enjoy how they look...

If that's what you enjoy from games you are entitled to that but let's not pretend they are a top quality developer bringing anything more than mediocre games at best.

Stories Untold is nothing like layers of fear. Let's not pretend they are even relatable it's a silly argument.

You need to give up on the wiki pedia entries 🤣 they aren't some gotcha like you think they are.

Reviewers are numbskulls they hardly have brains
Give up on a respected website that provides sources and proof-checked information? Long are the days when one could write random crap on Wikipedia without it being flagged. And I absolutely knew you would dismiss the reviewers as idiots because it doesn't fit your agenda. That's the consensus we are using.

Alien Isolation got a 79 on Metacritic and pretty much all of Bloober's games are in the 70s aswell in terms of average scores. Like I said, they're a solid developer, not a AAA developer or somebody who will a tonne of awards, but they'll get the job done. And that's good enough for me.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Sounds like you just enjoy how they look...

If that's what you enjoy from games you are entitled to that but let's not pretend they are a top quality developer bringing anything more than mediocre games at best.

Stories Untold is nothing like layers of fear. Let's not pretend they are even relatable it's a silly argument.
No, I enjoy how they play, and I already brought up some examples why. If you can't relate to that then fine but if you don't really have anything more nuanced to share, other than repeatedly stating that their games are mediocre, then I don't think we have anything else to discuss, man.

Gojiira

1TALP1fTizzf.png
Thats some serious copium, it got stellar reviews praising the atmosphere, graphics, lighting, the Alien itself, you know the important parts of a horror experience or are we pretending 80ish is meh now? Yes it wasnt perfect and the ‘padding’ is subjective but what does that have to do with anything? It scored better than anything Bloober ever made, and is a GOOD horror game.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Give up on a respected website that provides sources and proof-checked information? Long are the days when one could write random crap on Wikipedia without it being flagged. And I absolutely knew you would dismiss the reviewers as idiots because it doesn't fit your agenda. That's the consensus we are using.

Alien Isolation got a 79 on Metacritic and pretty much all of Bloober's games are in the 70s aswell in terms of average scores. Like I said, they're a solid developer, not a AAA developer or somebody who will a tonne of awards, but they'll get the job done. And that's good enough for me.
There is a reason why every University and program worth their salt refuse to allow Wikipedia to be used as a source. It is absolutely not a “well respected” site with “proof-checked” information.

There is a reason why every University and program worth their salt refuse to allow Wikipedia to be used as a source. It is absolutely not a “well respected” site with “proof-checked” information.
I'm not talking in the academic sense, more in terms of general information. One can't submit false news without their IP address becoming public, to circumvent this an account must be created and I'm doubtful the average troll is that eager. I always check the sources at the bottom of the page if I'm skeptical, besides we're talking about video game scores over here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Grasping at straws a bit, don't you think?

Even if they have large moment when they just walk and talk there is also a lot of gameplay in these games, especially ragnarock.

Not grasping at any straws. The statement was "Most of their games have shit or next to no gameplay and this is a gaming forum"

This fits GoW:Ragnarok and all Druckmann-led games to a T. Most of the gameplay that there is is Shit, poorly paced, and poorly designed. The only people who think these titles are "perfect" in that regard are console warriors.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Bloober and The Medium got hate because it was a not so impressive Xbox timed exclusive. Console war stuff, now that they are working on PlayStations silent hill remake, you’ll see some weird shifting opinions.
To be fair The Medium only suddenly became bad when it was announced for PS5.
Just look at the OT, those same people that was praising it was shitting on it in the PS5 thread.
The game itself was okay, nothing amazing.
But I did get some Silent Hill vibes at times from it so I'm not too surprised they was chosen to make the Remake.
But make no mistake, they are a team working under Konami and Ex Team Silent devs.
Not the other way around.

GymWolf

Not grasping at any straws. The statement was "Most of their games have shit or next to no gameplay and this is a gaming forum"

This fits GoW:Ragnarok and all Druckmann-led games to a T. Most of the gameplay that there is is Shit, poorly paced, and poorly designed. The only people who think these titles are "perfect" in that regard are console warriors.
I would not call gow ragnarock combat shit tier but you do you.

To be fair The Medium only suddenly became bad when it was announced for PS5.
Just look at the OT, those same people that was praising it was shitting on it in the PS5 thread.
The game itself was okay, nothing amazing.
But I did get some Silent Hill vibes at times from it so I'm not too surprised they was chosen to make the Remake.
But make no mistake, they are a team working under Konami and Ex Team Silent devs.
Not the other way around.
Damn TGO TGO that sounds an awful lot like Vicky Pollard.
giphy.gif

StueyDuck

Thats some serious copium, it got stellar reviews praising the atmosphere, graphics, lighting, the Alien itself, you know the important parts of a horror experience or are we pretending 80ish is meh now? Yes it wasnt perfect and the ‘padding’ is subjective but what does that have to do with anything? It scored better than anything Bloober ever made, and is a GOOD horror game.
Both of them are kind of acting like children now and not really listening to what anyone says even though they asked why everyone hates blooper 🤣

The thread is entirely pointless

StueyDuck

Didn't realise this was a stealth console wars thread

Top Bottom