• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So why is the Xbox Store such dog s***?!

I love when people blame their inability to even try some filters as "the store is crap". Or you could take 2 seconds and google the game your after, "Xbox Jrpg" and you would probably find it in 10 seconds.
You shouldn’t have to Google anything.

All Microsoft UIs are terrible. Windows, Outlook, Word, Xbox… all clearly designed by engineers and not designers.

GymWolf

Sony and M are incapable when it comes to console ui\stores, more news at 11.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Isa

Lunarorbit

I haven't shopped on the Nintendo store in awhile but last year it was horrible. The store feels more claustrophobic than the ps store which is also bad.

On the ps store you can only filter one option at a time so it's either rpgs or games $20-40. At least it seems like Sony did remove lots of shovel ware on the last 2 weeks since they announced a crack down on game quality on the store

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
PSN store is not much better honestly. Library also not the best.
These companies need to step up their psn game since the world is sadly going all digital

anthony2690

Banned
The 1-5 Star feedback reviews in the Xbox store are trash. Most games have hardly any, so even for popular games it shows most gamers dont bother (I never have myself). A lot of the negative comments I see have to do with people saying the game crashes or have tons of bugs.

I find almost all games I check have no more than 3 stars too. I look at them hoping the indie game has some useful feedback. But it looks like most gamers doing them are pissed off gamers venting, while gamers who enjoy the game dont bother scoring it a 4 or 5.
Especially when you look at the most played/most popular games with their 2/3 star ratings haha.

I guess people only tend to leave feedback when disappointed or having a rough time.

Ronin_7

Welcome to MS world.
They are bad when it comes to these stuff.
They're not a company that relies on their store for revenue like say Apple Google Sony Valve so it's normal that their engineering teams for those divisions are small.

That's why MS & Xbox Store are kinda mediocre.

Kvally

Banned
I have had zero issues with the Xbox store. I always find what I am looking for with a simple search in the search bar or using the filters that were posted earlier in this thread. Same goes for my experience with the PS Store.

Also the thumbnails for me are not blurry. On XSX here.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

All Microsoft UIs are terrible. Windows, Outlook, Word, Xbox… all clearly designed by engineers and not designers.

They didn't even even know the name of the product and the system sorts just fine alphabetically, this whole thread is pointless and misleading. The UI is just fine, I have zero issue finding any game I'm looking for.

DaGwaphics

There is nothing wrong with the Xbox store, it's clean and straight forward. Use the search to find what you are looking for. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The web version can be a little weird, I'll give you that.

Roberts

There is nothing wrong with the Xbox store, it's clean and straight forward. Use the search to find what you are looking for. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The web version can be a little weird, I'll give you that.
Yeah, web version is slow, confusing and doesn't even show XS optimised badge on the icons. Ever since they made the xbox version of the store run faster a few years ago, it has been totally functional for me, at least.

Akuza89

I very rarely use the store unless there is a sale, even then the sale/sale section, is pretty clear to follow.

However, it does have it's issues here and there, but look at the playstation store or switch e-shop, they're pretty bad too... nothing new really?

Kataploom

Gold Member
I guess it's way better than Switch eShop at least, I renounced to navigate on that and use the web browser for my purchases instead... You don't even have a Library section with your purchases wtf

j0hnnix

It's annoying, it's removes so many conviences I'd like. sloppy design team or at very least detached from the consumer.

Also, me personally, removing the store from the mobile xbox app and just saying go ahead and download then pay is obnoxious forcing me to use the web site store which I dislike. So backwards.

Go to the Store and go to Top New Games box to see all the games. The default view is newest games are shown first.

Press X to Filter.

You'll see all kinds of criteria to search, including A-Z and genre etc...

I think what you're doing is choosing the manual search icon (magnifying glass icon) which is purely a hunt and peck kind of search tool.

s44bNm6.jpg

UtklFSw.jpg

0stNuqX.jpg

Kind of odd you would have to go to "new games" though to get all games plus filter.

Microsoft seems to have been since 2014 been trading their 'great software meh hardware' skills, and replacing them with 'great hardware meh software' nd not really finding a balance as once improves over the other.

I would almost say Microsoft is a hardware company now, or at least primarily.

Bigfroth

I got a series S for Christmas my first Xbox sense the OG and Ya the UI just seems very LOUD and busy. I figure I got a learning curve but ya on first impression it seems cluttered. The PSN is really no better either if you want to buy "Jumping Taco Turbo" for a 30% discount Sony's got you covered lol.

Blade2.0

They didn't even even know the name of the product and the system sorts just fine alphabetically, this whole thread is pointless and misleading. The UI is just fine, I have zero issue finding any game I'm looking for.
It doesn't on mine. Quit acting like I didn't post my photos.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It doesn't on mine. Quit acting like I didn't post my photos.

I don't understand why you couldn't take 10 seconds to google it on your phone instead of raging against the store? Would have taken less time.

GeekyDad

Really didn't expect myself to thumbs-up the OP, but it's a fair complaint. And I feel you. It seems a pretty straightforward, basic feature(s) most search engines have these days. Guess their focus is elsewhere. It's possible they do that purposefully to force customers to skim through content they might otherwise give no shits about.

93xfan

Banned
Xbox store: crap
Playstation store: crap
Nintendo store: super crap
Steam deck store: crap

Hard to believe but you still have to visit unofficial deal sites to try to browse these databases properly.

Why is this such a problem? Why don't they hire some deal website designers? Look at https://xbdeals.net or psprices.com

They love plopping ads for these stores all over the UI (xbox in particular) but if they want people to actually shop in the store, maybe they should reconsider an experience that feels like using an ATM.
Nintendo is on another level. It makes web browsing in the late 90s seem advanced

Shut0wen

Dont have problems finding games like one user said theres a pretry decent filter on there but holy shit does it break when your searching for a game

SHA

I just don't understand why it's so bad, or am I missing something.

All I want to do is sort from A-Z and look at all the RPGs on offer. Or sort by Xbox OG or Xbox 360 only but there is no option for it(that I can see) I'm on my series X. Who designed this shit? I'm looking for a specific JRPG that I can't remember the name of but I can't go from A-Z so now I guess fuck me, then. I know I can sort this way on PS5. Microsoft really needs to make this more user friendly.
They show it sometimes in new games icon , it's stupid and annoying, it took me awhile to add everything I want on wishlist.

Every time i have to find games in any store i always think these companies must hate money.
The fact PSN still doesn't even have a gifting system in 2022 is hilarious to me.

The filters are fine there, but sometimes you search a full game, and the first entries are DLCs, other entries from that series and you have to go to page 2 or 3 to actually get what you wanted.

iHaunter

Everything is, the UI is a piece of shit. Hell the XSX I gave to my buddy doesn't play blu-rays anymore. Anyone else experience that?

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Everything is, the UI is a piece of shit. Hell the XSX I gave to my buddy doesn't play blu-rays anymore. Anyone else experience that?

Yes I got so depressed I only eat ricecakes with drops of cheap vinegar on it

Fuck xbox tssk

sainraja

Yeah, you should check out their Whiteboard tool and its UI.....boy is it terrible! I think Xbox is probably the only stand-out (although a bit boring, it's nice that they tried adding some dynamic-ness to it but I dunno, something feels missing but functionally it is fine) and they have made some nice improvements to Windows 11 but they have ways to go.

Last edited:
Top Bottom