• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM II. Does it Survive??

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
What's it like online these days? Not too long ago, I read about people constructing these pedals that cause lag (!!!) among other crap. Sony drives me mad with their lackluster response to cheating and the HD/map fiasco.

So assuming I can't play with the new maps (slim ps2), will I be overcome by cheaters? I've not played for a while, but I miss the gameplay. There's nothing else like it when it's good. 3 can't come soon enough, but I'm worried about the addition of vehicles.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
are there really cheats out there? we sure played a lot of socom 2 back then and i don't recall seeing many cheaters at all, if any. maybe a couple instances but that's it

where the hell is the socom 3 beta?!

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Wario64 said:
are there really cheats out there? we sure played a lot of socom 2 back then and i don't recall seeing many cheaters at all, if any. maybe a couple instances but that's it

where the hell is the socom 3 beta?!

It wasn't too bad back then. Mostly wall glitching, but supposedly that 2nd patch solved all that. I miss it :(

I never get picked for fucking betas, and this is the only one I REALLY want. Do people sell them on eBay?

Musashi Wins! said:
What's it like online these days? Not too long ago, I read about people constructing these pedals that cause lag (!!!) among other crap. Sony drives me mad with their lackluster response to cheating and the HD/map fiasco.

So assuming I can't play with the new maps (slim ps2), will I be overcome by cheaters? I've not played for a while, but I miss the gameplay. There's nothing else like it when it's good. 3 can't come soon enough, but I'm worried about the addition of vehicles.

It's the same as it ever was. There seems to be slightly less cheating at least as far as I can tell and I play almost nightly. You'll still hit them, but I'm in good games every night.

It still gets up to 30k simultaneous at peak times and usually above 25k during weekends / weeknights. I miss the HD maps, but I gave my brother my older PS2 and got a slim earlier this year. My old system wasn't reading CD's anymore and I was out of SOCOM 2 for a couple of months.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
The patches solved wall glitchers. SOCOM II really doesn't have cheaters(i.e. codebreaker/gameshark users) because you really can't login online unlike SOCOM I. SOCOM II's main concern was the glitchers who found exploits in the map designs. Are the exploits still there? I have no idea but when I played a couple of weeks ago, there wasn't any that I knew with the team I played with. I want to know if that crawling at high speed like a shark on land is still around..

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
bungie should take some notes from zipper. halo 2 - cheat fest in less than a year. socom 2 - nearly cheat free for almost 2 years!

Wario64 said:
socom 2 - nearly cheat free for almost 2 years!

I wouldn't go that far. There are still plug pullers, invisible folks, and some walls / objects that are still vulnerable. And other things. But, not anywhere near what happened in SOCOM 1

SOCOM II definitely has it's share of glitches. I'm looking forward to SOCOM III, but the vehicles scare me to be quite honest.

SOCOM II is a mixed bag at the moment.

The real influx of cheaters only started arriving recently when the HDD maps were released. People used the HDD to modify the game and now there are problems galore.

Lots of cord pullers as well, another problem that didn't appear until after the second update.

It definitely was cheat-free for about two years.

I logged on yesterday and we had a couple wars that were clean. But a couple days ago, I ended up in a war where people were glitching through walls and freezing (cord-pulling), only for you to end up dead even though you get the jump on them.

SOCOM II's shitty hit detection system doesn't help things, but the cord-pullers are by far the worst of the lot.

The game is still a blast if you can get one with a regular group of good players. Raw Hawk and I played almost nightly at college last semester with a group of players and it was always fun. Lag is rarely a problem. The main problem is slow down and choppy framerate during high action sequences. Hopefully the Socom III engine will be able to handle that a little better. Looking forward to part III, not looking forward to the vehicles.

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
I just played Sunday night for a few hours. I didn't have any problems with glitching at all. Most Socom players hate glitchers anyways and will usually end up team killing the glitcher. I think we should have Socom 2 reunion this weekend, Saturday night around 11PM EST sounds good to me.

Gunstar77 said:
I just played Sunday night for a few hours. I didn't have any problems with glitching at all. Most Socom players hate glitchers anyways and will usually end up team killing the glitcher. I think we should have Socom 2 reunion this weekend, Saturday night around 11PM EST sounds good to me.

I'll try to be there.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Gunstar77 said:

ok.

Ramirez

Last time I played my random teammates were sniping from inside a building at Crossroads that isn't even accessible to walk around in :lol

Slo

I got Socom 2 for $5 last year when I purchased GTA:SA, but I haven't cracked it open yet. Is it n00b friendly online, and do any GAFers still play?

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Slo said:
I got Socom 2 for $5 last year when I purchased GTA:SA, but I haven't cracked it open yet. Is it n00b friendly online, and do any GAFers still play?

I think a lot of people play irregularly rather than all together in a clan like we used to. It's not extremely noob friendly, though a lot of it is getting accustomed to playing this type of game with the DS controller.

Slo said:

For a new person, I would recommend playing respawn frostfire as a terrorist or respawn chain reaction as a seal :D

Ponn

Banned
I had the most fun with Socom II and I usually dislike those games. Didn't notice any glitches or cheaters but I wasn't really looking for any either. It got me pretty interested in Socom III and Socom for the PSP. I'm wondering though how easy Socom for the PSP will be for cheating though.

snacknuts

we all knew her
SOCOM II was such a disappointment after the brilliance of the first SOCOM (pre-cheating/glitching) that I could never fully enjoy it. If SOCOM III approaches the quality of the first one, I'll be getting a new PS2 just to be able to play it.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
zesty said:
SOCOM II was such a disappointment after the brilliance of the first SOCOM (pre-cheating/glitching) that I could never fully enjoy it. If SOCOM III approaches the quality of the first one, I'll be getting a new PS2 just to be able to play it.

how so?

snacknuts

we all knew her
Musashi Wins! said:

Online play with the original SOCOM, before being infected by Codebreaker users, is without question the most fun I have ever had playing a video game. I played the game for at least a couple hours almost every single day for about 9 months (yes, cheaters came in during this time, but they weren't generally a huge problem). After that, the cheating became more rampant and I stopped playing as much because I was just waiting for SOCOM II.

The release finally came, and I could not have been more stoked. I took the day off work and played for about six hrs with all of my clan buddies, but I knew the magic was gone. The hit detection was absolute garbage compared to the original. I couldn't tell you how many times I snuck up behind someone in that game and unloaded a full clip in their back only to have them turn around and kill me with one shot.

I tried pretty hard to get into it for a few weeks, but it just wasn't the same. I liked some of the improvements in the actual online system, but the gameplay had declined in quality a great deal.

I'm hoping SOCOM III can bring the magic back.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I've never felt the hit detection was bad in SOCOM II, though there was a period when the frame rate was an issue on certain maps. But I know how that goes when your experience in games was different. I have much the same feeling/experience with II that you did with 1.

Musashi Wins! said:
I've never felt the hit detection was bad in SOCOM II, though there was a period when the frame rate was an issue on certain maps. But I know how that goes when your experience in games was different. I have much the same feeling/experience with II that you did with 1.

It's there. Although, it's really a combination of multiple attempts to balance the game better. The OPM article goes through it pretty thoroughly and I can't remember all of the things, but basically there were issues with:

1) Modification of weapon damage because their analysis of SOCOM 1 was that rounds ended "too quickly" for many gamers and they weren't getting the full experience. So weapons damage you less.

2) Modification to the effectiveness of weapons while you're moving, crouched, prone, etc. They wanted to make it tougher for the runners and gunners to actually be effective. So, even though you have someone in your sights your hit percentage is actually being calculated with additional info.

3) The netcode still has issues in Socom 2

+ some other stuff I can't recall right now.

What's really cool is they have run a ton of simulations on all the online game data to find out traffic patterns, strategies, lag issues, etc and use that data when creating new maps in terms of size, spawn points, pinch points, & overall level design.

Which has always been one of SOCOM's strong points, IMO. The level design is incredibly well thought and and gets better each time out. Especially, the 3 new HDD maps. Especially, Last Bastion.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
The maps are wonderful. I don't have the new ones, but basically the others facilitated just about every type of experience you can have in an online shooter. It's easily one of the best games this gen, imo.

I have to trust that experience to not ruin the games balance with vehicles.

I hate that weapon damage rationalization. I guess those issues make sense, I just assumed I wasn't that great a shot :)

In related news (sorta) I hear the Battlefield demo is really good on Xbox and I hope it fills a little bit of the hole for me until Socom 3 arrives.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Don't forget this fall:

sc3a2wu.jpg

Musashi Wins! said:
I have to trust that experience to not ruin the games balance with vehicles.

Zipper were very adamant that the vehicles would be both a truly gameplay integrated addition and that the maps were designed to allow for both vehicle and non-vehicle style of play. There are multiple shortcuts on all of the maps that can only be used outside of a vehicle or you could choose to go the "long way around" with the vehicle.

You should read the OPM article. It's quite long and informative.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
sonycowboy said:
You should read the OPM article. It's quite long and informative.

I'll try. I was a little frustrated with the initial media because so much of it was centered around the single player game and that's not what it's about for me. I do think they should be commended for shipping the game with an above average single player portion (it's actually not bad at all), it really is worth the price of admission, but when the multiplayer is that good it's all I want.

Musashi Wins! said:
I'll try. I was a little frustrated with the initial media because so much of it was centered around the single player game and that's not what it's about for me. I do think they should be commended for shipping the game with an above average single player portion (it's actually not bad at all), it really is worth the price of admission, but when the multiplayer is that good it's all I want.

It was the same thing with Socom 2 also.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
you know, people keep complaining about the hit detection and stuff and i never noticed it...but then again...

2%20-%20wario64.jpg

Ramirez

The hit detection was ass online,but I think it had more to do with lag than anything,although when I see blood spraying out of a person then I don't what to think :lol

I will be buyin 3 on day one however ;)

Gunstar77

Just a reminder, Socom 2 reunion 11 PM EST Saturday night. I will be on earlier then that if anyone wants to jump on earlier. Anyone is welcome to play, I will post the Area and Room Name here.

tenchir

I misplaced the Socom II DVD. :(

I considered buying it used for 17.99, but then remember that Socom III comes out later this year.....

Nos_G

Argh, got disconnected while playing Fishook and I can't seem to get back in... I guess I'm going to call it a night since I have work in a fews hours.

Great games tonite and hopefully we get to play more before Socom3 hits.

Gunstar77

LittleTokyo said:
Good games tonight. Best moment was definately the silent gunfight between Ace and Gunstar. :lol

I got the victory thanks to the hostage, good times. :lol

Top Bottom