• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some Gears of War artworks (brilliant stuff)

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
In the vein of Craig Mullins' style but more detailed and less "impressionist". Absolutely gorgeous.

http://www.xboxyde.com/news_1710_en.html#

786_0008.jpg

786_0004.jpg

Every time I see such wonderful works of art I wish I never left drawing *sobs*

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Interesting how no one seems to find anything to troll about in this topic :D

Just another one because I find it amazing :
786_0009.jpg

Odysseus

Banned
Blimblim said:

786_0009.jpg

Well, so far there's no next-gen grass...

It's really hard to pound the X360's visuals when Gears of War comes along. It tends to just shut everyone up.

Borys

Banned
Blimblim said:

Well you can't troll *awesome* art.

I can't wait for Bethesda's Fallout 3. Should be gorgeous!

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Odysseus said:
Well, so far there's no next-gen grass...

It's really hard to pound the X360's visuals when Gears of War comes along. It tends to just shut everyone up.
These are concept artworks, it's a bit hard to draw each blade of grass individually ;)

Blimblim

The Inside Track
This guy also did some matte painting for Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, and concept artwork for Riddick (the game)...

hp_summer.jpg

flsh

Banned
Blimblim said:

786_0009.jpg
This is beautiful. My new background :)

sammy

This is all John Wallin's work ---- And just so you guys know, I don't even think he's 23 years-old yet.

For years and years he sketched on the Sijun forums - back and forth with Mullins and focused really hard to get where he is.
Like Mullins many of these are on blockout-models and use photographic textures and textures the developers experement with - and Wallin is just brilliant at doing such a good job with that. ---- And if you could see the blockout-models you'd laugh your brains out, 'cause they're very much a cube next to another cube :lol

The concept-design industry is truely changing hardcore due to this new generation of games ---- marker-renders and pencils just don't help out that much anymore. It's great to see it all evolve into something more impressionist/matte-paint style ---- something more design than art.

Zer0

Banned
not trolling,im very interested on this game,but the subpar animation on characters make me lost some faith on it,i hope they work on that subject

Zer0 said:
not trolling,im very interested on this game,but the subpar animation on characters make me lost some faith on it,i hope they work on that subject

The game isn't coming out for over a year. At this point they're probably using alot of UT2004 animations.

Lo-Volt

The art here seems pitch perfect. Let's just hope the game meets expectations when E-Day hits. And in the meantime, Queens of the Stone Age remain my desktop for now.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Electrii said:
Incredible.
As an artist, looking at those pictures makes my penis shrink :(

:lol i know what you mean. shit like this made me give up my art years ago. i decent, but no where near this level, and just dont have the drive to get to this level. beautiful stuff though :)

Interesting how no one seems to find anything to troll about in this topic

Allow me - Looks gobs better than the game itself. :D

Then again, if we took a series of these images and slapped them into a View Master we might have an E3 demo of Gears of War. :lol

Impressive art. Still not buying an Xbox.

sammy

The Take Out Bandit said:
Allow me - Looks gobs better than the game itself. :D

I have to agree --- many of Wallen's designs are brilliant in these images, but as soon as Epic gets their hands on 'em they just go way too McFarlaine and leave subtlety to the wind.

Take the image he did of the fountain for example --- brillaint, respectable, subtle, realized, perfect, and toned-down ---
but as soon as Epic gets a hold of it they grow the statue 3-fold, make it some amature mix of a skull/dragon/something and in general, make it way to McFarlaine to gather much respect.

Wallen's concepts here paint a world as rich and respectable as HL2's universe, and I really wanna experience it ----- unfortunately, the game is turning out a little too middle-school (still gonna buy it...)

Pimpwerx

Blimblim said:

http://media.xboxyde.com/gallery/public/1490/786_0009.jpg

Heh, is someone stupid enough to troll this game? Seriously, this game owns just about everything else. The only games even comparable are Heavenly Sword and some trailers people think are prerendered. ;) If that doesn't speak highly of the game, nothing will. Now I hope these artworks translate well to the game. That's some very pretty art. PEACE.

sammy

op_ivy

sammy said:
I have to agree --- many of Wallen's designs are brilliant in these images, but as soon as Epic gets their hands on 'em they just go way too McFarlaine and leave subtlety to the wind.

Take the image he did of the fountain for example --- brillaint, respectable, subtle, realized, perfect, and toned-down ---
but as soon as Epic gets a hold of it they grow the statue 3-fold, make it some amature mix of a skull/dragon/something and in general, make it way to McFarlaine to gather much respect.

Wallen's concepts here paint a world as rich and respectable as HL2's universe, and I really wanna experience it ----- unfortunately, the game is turning out a little too middle-school (still gonna buy it...)

uhhh wtf? the only scene from the artwork that has been even seen in game is that gas station one, and it looks quite similar IMO. obviously, its a bit different when seeing it getting shot the fuck up with bad guys and what not, but it definitely followed the art...

Starfire

This game has beautiful concept art so far, I'm building my portfolio right now, and everytime I see a new peice of artwork for Gears of War, it gives me fantastic ideas, between this, conceptart.org, and CGTalk, there are just so many greatartists to draw inspiration from, simply observing them has made me a tenfold better artist than I was this time last year (I still have a looong way to go before being able to match that kind of skill though).

Awesome stuff!, Keep up the pics guys!

sammy

op_ivy said:
uhhh wtf? the only scene from the artwork that has been even seen in game is that gas station one, and it looks quite similar IMO. obviously, its a bit different when seeing it getting shot the fuck up with bad guys and what not, but it definitely followed the art...

Compair this:
Far right image on 2nd row.

Compair this:
some can't leave well enough alone.

Not complainin here, 'over-the-topness' does really well for gamers ----- but John's concepts have much better real-world atmosphere and drama...

I donno about you guys ... but as soon as some organic/chain-gun deamon-beasty ogre comes charging at me ... I just chunk that experience into the "done-before" game pile, and desmiss any attempt at drama/story the developers were going for.......

Once again.. I'm still getting the game, looks damn good ---- but I feel that Johns concepts paint a much more *tastefull* universe.

op_ivy

sammy said:
Compair this:
Far right image on 2nd row.

Compair this:
some can't leave well enough alone.

Not complainin here, 'over-the-topness' does really well for gamers ----- but John's concepts have much better real-world atmosphere and drama...

I donno about you guys ... but as soon as some organic/chain-gun deamon-beasty ogre comes charging at me ... I just chunk that experience into the "done-before" game pile, and desmiss any attempt at drama/story the developers were going for.......

Once again.. I'm still getting the game, looks damn good ---- but I feel that Johns concepts paint a much more *tastefull* universe.

i still dont see any concept art of that scene... so, the only thing we have to go on would be the gas station.... which looks VERY similar in game. i dunno, some of you guys gotta find somethng to bitch about, so go right ahead

sammy

op_ivy said:
i still dont see any concept art of that scene... so, the only thing we have to go on would be the gas station.... which looks VERY similar in game. i dunno, some of you guys gotta find somethng to bitch about, so go right ahead

The far right image on the 2nd row --- (sorry my image host is down) ------ it's the concept for the same exact fountain-sculpture that are in the 2nd image-link i put up (that image is in GoW, at least when Epic came to demo their engine it was in it.)

I'm not really complainin' --- just pointing out the difference between the process of concept to game ..... and I personally find toned-down game universes more appealing (like in John's awesome concepts).

I do agree, the gass-station scene was executed extremely well from the concept --- I hope to see more stuff like that ... That felt like a great non-fantastical universe area.

op_ivy

sammy said:
The far right image on the 2nd row --- (sorry my image host is down) ------ it's the concept for the same exact fountain-sculpture that are in the 2nd image-link i put up (that image is in GoW, at least when Epic came to demo their engine it was in it.)

I'm not really complainin' --- just pointing out the difference between the process of concept to game ..... and I personally find toned-down game universes more appealing (like in John's awesome concepts).

I do agree, the gass-station scene was executed extremely well from the concept --- I hope to see more stuff like that ... That felt like a great non-fantastical universe area.

i dont think thats trying to depict the same scene though... if it is, i would agree with you, but it seems obvious to me, its not (especially in light of the gas station concept to game)

Top Bottom