• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some images from Nintendo Anual Report. (56K Killer)

ChrisReid

Doc Holliday said:
I dont like the sound of this...seems like they are pitching Revolution to everyone but us :(

That's what I love about it. I don't need both a PS3 and X360, but whichever of the two I pick, I'll need a Revolution for all the family/party/classic/Mario games. Whenever I bring a console somewhere (with the exception of a Halo lan party), I always bring the Cube. Mario Kart, Mario Party, Donkey Konga, it's really great for non-video game people to just pick up and play.

Nightbringer

Don´t hit me for my bad english plase
NES was an all-accces gaming console, SNES was an all-access gaming console, GameBoy was an all-access gaming console, Playstation was an all-all access gaming console, Nintendo64 wasn´t an all-access gaming console, Playstation2 is an all-access gaming console and GCN wasn´t an all-access gaming console.

This is for me the all-acces gaming, the idea of every person in the world can be interested in the console because the console gives to him/her things that he/she likes.

Zer0

Banned
Nightbringer said:
NES was an all-accces gaming console, SNES was an all-access gaming console, GameBoy was an all-access gaming console, Playstation was an all-all access gaming console, Nintendo64 wasn´t an all-access gaming console, Playstation2 is an all-access gaming console and GCN wasn´t an all-access gaming console.

This is for me the all-acces gaming, the idea of every person in the world can be interested in the console because the console gives to him/her things that he/she likes.

this is done by a big catalog of games,with a strong third party support

Nightbringer

Nintendo killed the third party support with the cartridge in N64.

A lot of people says that Nintendo has a poor third partie support but the support is more better now than the N64 days.

If Nintendo can start to design the console for all the people like they did in the NES-SNES era and not for its games we can be sure that Nintendo will go up in support and games.

Zer0

Banned
Nightbringer said:
Nintendo killed the third party support with the cartridge in N64.

A lot of people says that Nintendo has a poor third partie support but the support is more better now than the N64 days.

If Nintendo can start to design the console for all the people like they did in the NES-SNES era and not for its games we can be sure that Nintendo will go up in support and games.

nintendo kill the third party suport since the treat the devs like shit in his nes and snes days,a lot of devs wanted to jump to other system,the psx was their new ship

Ruzbeh

Banned
Zer0 said:
nintendo kill the third party suport since the treat the devs like shit in his nes and snes days,a lot of devs wanted to jump to other system,the psx was their new ship
Nintendo's same dumbass mistakes of the NES and SNES haven't been made with the Gamecube.

Nightbringer

You must read Game Over: Press Start to continue.

If you read the book you will see that your argument is wrong.

Zer0

Banned
Nightbringer said:
You must read Game Over: Press Start to continue.

If you read the book you will see that your argument is wrong.

i have read that book.( its very old and innacurate on some things) also i have read a lot more books

nintendo pissed a lot of devs with is almost feudal relations with them,the use of the same media on n64 was a good motive,but not the only one,

and about the gamecube,its the same sindrome that sega,if you fail with the n64 its a lot harder to bring third partyes,sega suffered with the saturn fiasco,a lot of third partys dont have faith on the dreamcast

ChrisReid said:
That's what I love about it. I don't need both a PS3 and X360, but whichever of the two I pick, I'll need a Revolution for all the family/party/classic/Mario games. Whenever I bring a console somewhere (with the exception of a Halo lan party), I always bring the Cube. Mario Kart, Mario Party, Donkey Konga, it's really great for non-video game people to just pick up and play.

This is the theory Nintendo seemed to try to follow with GC (classic franchises and gameplay, relatively cheap and accessable). I just wonder if the continually eroding support for Nintendo among the more core gamer demographic (from SNES to N64 to GC it clearly has dropped) will catch up with them (if it already hasn't). The comparisons with Apple aren't warranted, IMO, because Apple has always been about providing mass-market designs while at the same time keeping their core group insanely loyal with cutting-edge tech (think G5).

I still think in the video game market, you need to attract the core group first, and then let them spread the word to non-gamers. It's hard for me to believe non-gamers will just pick up a system without first getting introduced to it from a gamer.

jarrod

Banned
sangreal said:
I don't consider the game licensed IP, but you're entitled to your opinion. If you insist you may replace GT with the GTA series which sold ~19.5mln in the US alone this gen.
It doesn't matter what you "consider", the fact is GT is loaded with licenses. And without them it wouldn't sell half as well.

Zer0

Banned
jarrod said:
It doesn't matter what you "consider", the fact is GT is loaded with licenses. And without them it wouldn't sell half as well.

there is a lot of racing games full of licences and dont sell a shit,GT sells cause the SAGA is composed of excellent games

jarrod

Banned
Zer0 said:
there is a lot of racing games full of licences and dont sell a shit,GT sells cause the SAGA is composed of excellent games
GT sells because of it's vast stable of real world cars to collect and drive. Without that, it wouldn't even sell what Ridge Racer does. Period.

Gran Turismo is one of the last games to use as a proponent for unlicensed IPs.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
GitarooMan said:
What's interesting here is how the DS always comes up in discussions of Gamecube and Nintendo's console woes. I think the DS has a lot of potential to expand the gaming demographic (like the original GB and Tetris did). However, Nintendo hasn't proven that this philosophy works in the console realm, IMO.

Consoles cost more, games for consoles cost more, so in general people expect more than handheld games. Now I understand Nintendo is trying to buck this trend with Rev, but I'm not convinced that the DS philosophy can apply to consoles. Maybe Nintendo can convince me otherwise, but I'd like to hear people discuss how the DS simple game philosophy will broaden their console market. I get a feeling that it will be very difficult to sell any console successfully without first attracting the core demographic of gamers and then spreading out from there.
They wont completey ignore the core demographic of gamers. There will still be the games that everyopne loves, such as Mario, Zelda, Metroid and other popular games that everyone waits for , along with more third party support, but Nintendo will try to add something else that will attract a different group of people. I would be just as upse as anyone here if nintendo just stopped making games like Zelda or getting games like RE4 and just focused on creating more games for people who dont play videogames, but although Nintendo have done stupid things in the past, they wont go and do and kill off the core demographic of games.

Zer0

Banned
jarrod said:
GT sells because of it's vast stable of real world cars to collect and drive. Without that, it wouldn't even sell what Ridge Racer does. Period.

its funny how some ppl use the period word as if magically thats givens them the reason

mckmas8808

Banned
Zer0 said:

Perfect quote for his point. Why will nobody say anything about this.

jarrod said:

You don't really believe that do you? Even if they didn't have the real car names Polyphony would still be able to test real cars and base them off them for their game counterparts.

Insertia

Nightbringer said:
But for me a good killer will be multimedia+low price, if Nintendo embeddes the PlayYan software in the console and a lot of online stuff (videochat, internet browser and others) and sell it for 200 dolars it could be a market killer.

It's going to take more than that for it to be more successful than GC. The stuff you mention might be killer if it were 1999. It's not though.

jarrod

Banned
Zer0 said:
its funny how some ppl use the period word as if magically thats givens them the reason
It's also funny how some abuse english.

SolidSnakex said:
You don't really believe that do you? Even if they didn't have the real car names Polyphony would still be able to test real cars and base them off them for their game counterparts.
GT's massmarket casual appeal would evaporate without real world licenses. It might be able to coast on it's own brand recognition at this point, but it never would've gotten where it is today without those licenses. Collecting and driving "real cars" is central to Gran Turismo's success.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
jarrod said:
It's also funny how some abuse english.

GT's massmarket casual appeal would evaporate without real world licenses. It might be able to coast on it's own brand recognition at this point, but it never would've gotten where it is today without those licenses. Collecting and driving "real cars" is central to Gran Turismo's success.

without a doubt, especially since the car collecting and photo taking seem to be the primary dimensions of the update.

normally, I can't stand that people snag on others use of english when it's not their first language but today I was noticing that so many of the sonybots use broken english. sony must be undeniably king in europe (i mean, their king everywhere but...).

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Musashi Wins! said:
without a doubt, especially since the car collecting and photo taking seem to be the primary dimensions of the update.

normally, I can't stand that people snag on others use of english when it's not their first language but today I was noticing that so many of the sonybots use broken english. sony must be undeniably king in europe (i mean, their king everywhere but...).
Speaking of broken English... :lol

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
GitarooMan said:
This is the theory Nintendo seemed to try to follow with GC (classic franchises and gameplay, relatively cheap and accessable). I just wonder if the continually eroding support for Nintendo among the more core gamer demographic (from SNES to N64 to GC it clearly has dropped) will catch up with them (if it already hasn't). The comparisons with Apple aren't warranted, IMO, because Apple has always been about providing mass-market designs while at the same time keeping their core group insanely loyal with cutting-edge tech (think G5).

I still think in the video game market, you need to attract the core group first, and then let them spread the word to non-gamers. It's hard for me to believe non-gamers will just pick up a system without first getting introduced to it from a gamer.

I like the way you think :).

Nintendo should cater their hardcore demographic FIRST and FOREMOST. We're the ones that are gonna be mainly supporting your system until the end of time, so it would be nice if you focused on us first, and then the 4 year olds and geriatrics later.

Zer0

Banned
Musashi Wins! said:

i can´t stand the people who call sonybots another posters just for debate things,sorry i dont workship nintendo,sony or ms,and it will be funny to see you posting in another language in a german forum

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Zer0 said:
i can´t stand the people who call sonybots another posters just for debate things,sorry i dont workship nintendo,sony or ms,and it will be funny to see you posting in another language in a german forum

my point wasn't to say bad things about your english. it was merely to say that sony has a very strong contingent that is obviously from europe. I assure you your english is 10000x better than my german.

jarrod said:

It wouldn't be as succesful as it is now, but it'd still be one of the most popular racing games out there. As long as they put a name edit in, it'd still have a big appeal to car fanatics which makes up a good percentage of the GT fanbase. That alone would be enough to keep it as one of the bigger racing series out there. It certainly wouldn't drop to the level that you said.

Zer0

Banned
Musashi Wins! said:
my point wasn't to say bad things about your english. it was merely to say that sony has a very strong contingent that is obviously from europe. I assure you your english is 10000x better than my german.

ok.yes.sony is big in europe ( even if they screw europeans like there is no tomorrow) for me the best scenario its sony losing is hegemony here and the other two revo and 360 gaining a big share of the market ( like 30,30,30) alas,european market is a tough one.there its a lot on countries,lenguagues,diferent packages,its not like japan or american

Oxymoron

etiolate said:
Why are there pastey white people touching themselves in bathing suits?

I think the first picture represents the current gaming market, and the second one, the gaming market as Nintendo wants it.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
It wouldn't be as succesful as it is now, but it'd still be one of the most popular racing games out there. As long as they put a name edit in, it'd still have a big appeal to car fanatics which makes up a good percentage of the GT fanbase. That alone would be enough to keep it as one of the bigger racing series out there. It certainly wouldn't drop to the level that you said.
It'd essentially go from a FIFA level brand to a Winning Eleven level brand. Driving and collecting real world cars is the key to GT's monster success, without that 10+ million gamers wouldn't be buying each installment.

Honestly, had GT gone without licesnes from the start, I doubt the series would've sold even a quarter as well. What would be the massmarket appeal then? The gameplay? *hahahaha*

jarrod said:
It'd essentially go from a FIFA level brand to a Winning Eleven level brand. Driving and collecting real world cars is the key to GT's monster success, without that 10+ million gamers wouldn't be buying each installment.

Honestly, had GT gone without licesnes from the start, I doubt the series would've sold even a quarter as well. What would be the massmarket appeal then? The gameplay? *hahahaha*

Dude, I like, told you to shut up 6 threads ago. Dubya T eff mate?

jarrod said:

Sure it wouldn't but it wouldn't drop below Ridge Racer level either. That it'd be doing around a million units worldwide which isn't going to happen. It'd sell in the millions (probably around 3-4 ww) still with ease, it just wouldn't be as popular as it currently is.

jarrod said:

Yes, unless you've managed to convince yourself that no one plays it for the gameplay and only collects cars in the game.

Amir0x

Banned
jarrod said:

Yes. Because Gran Turismo has amazing gameplay. Where the fuck have you been?

Top Bottom