• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Something useful, but expensive, for students/academics..

Status
Not open for further replies.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
www.books24x7.com. I got free access to this in work, and all I can say is that it's the most useful site I've ever used. Basically, it's just tonnes and tonnes and tonnes of real, genuine, useful, published books uploaded and available for reading online. There are about 5 thousand books here, and they're adding more all the time. I get through a TONNE of books for college and my own studies, but this will significantly cut down on the number I need to buy...

..that said, it isn't cheap. For a subscription to the IT collection of books, it costs 399/year. However, you could perhaps start harrassing your university about this, as they offer bulk deals for schools - it'd be an exceptional resource, IMO, especially if you get free access :) My usage of it may run out when I leave my job in Sept, but I'm seriously thinking of subscribing myself..it's the cost of 10 books, roughly, but there are at least two dozen on there that I'd like to spend more time with, if not more.

Just thought I'd give a heads up to anyone who might be interested..I hadn't heard of the site until I got this job, so I figure it may not be too well known. If you spend a lot of money on books, it could be worth a look...you can browse their collections as a non-member, you just won't be able to read..even have books on games programming! http://marketing.books24x7.com/browsebooks.asp?catid=1166&parid=1007&bcol=default#SUBTOPICS

Oh, and if anyone else has got this, and has found a quick/useful way of..ahem..."saving" stuff, i'm all ears ;)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
NotMSRP said:
If you're a cheapass, you can get your library to order books you request.

Hmm, don't think I can do that in my local library. Asides from all that, I forgot to mention one of the coolest features, which is the search function - you can search within books for a specific topic, or term, and it'll return the most relevant chapters from different books. So you can approach an area by topic, and get coverage from numerous books...there'll be some overlap between books, of course, but then each usually has a fresh perspective or some new detail, so it's quite useful. Searching is trivial, and it's just a very useful and comprehensive approach to learning. It'd be much harder to take out a large number of books and manually search through them ;) Pricey, but worth considering, imo.

Lazy

fyi for university of toronto students:

you have access to this site for free. go to the u of t libraries website and search for the book you're looking for. if it's available on the books24x7.com website, a link to it will appear within the search results.

i just started taking advantage of it. excellent resource.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom