• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic HIghways, Foo FIghters HBO Series / Album Documentary - Friday 10/17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not necessarily an OT so much as a reminder to music lovers and Foo Fighters fans that their new HBO series premieres on HBO this coming Friday, 10/17 at 11 p.m. EST, 10 p.m. CST.

The show documents the making of their eighth album as they traveled the country and recorded in different studios after interviewing and recording with a number of diverse stars. From what I've found, the guest stars include Willie Nelson, Josh Homme (Queens of the Stone Age), Chris Martin (Coldplay), Paul Stanley (KISS) Dan Auerbach (Black Keys), Chuck D (Public Enemy), and Dolly Parton amongst others.

Each show will go something like this:

"Basically, the process is we come to a city and we spend a week and we start recording an instrumental, because I interview all of these different musicians from that city," Grohl says. Next, the Foo frontman takes those interviews and transforms them into song lyrics. "I talk about the regional relevance of the music from that city, the cultural influence, that 'made-for-the-sound' of the music," Grohl adds. "There's no way that you can tell the history of a city's music in one hour, so we have to do it in a way that relates to the band and goes from point A to point B and becomes a song."

Trailers for the show:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0TrqXHoL10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QisGE_h8lrU

This might be a good addition to the OP. If you are not from the US you can buy the show for $20.

http://buy.foofighters.com/

The episodes go online the Sunday after they aired on HBO.

Track list and guest performers (per wiki):
Track Studio, City Guest(s)
“Something From Nothing” Electrical Audio, Chicago Rick Nielsen
“The Feast and the Famine” Inner Ear Studios, Arlington, VA Bad Brains
“Congregation” Southern Ground Studios, Nashville Carrie Underwood
“What Did I Do?/God as My Witness”
“Outside” Rancho De La Luna, Los Angeles Joe Walsh
“In the Clear”
“Subterranean” Robert Lang Studios, Seattle Ben Gibbard
“I Am a River” The Magic Shop, New York City Chuck D

In order to promote the show the Foo have been on the David Letterman show since Monday and should be on all week. The first performance was the Foo + Zac Brown performing Black Sabbath's "War Pigs" while the second was the Foo + Heart doing Heart's "Kick it Out". Not sure what to expect tonight, but Thursday they'll be performing one of the song's off the new album

Also, after the premiere the Foo will be live streaming their premiere concert at Chicago's The Cubby Bear on Facebook. Here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/hbo

Official Site:
http://www.hbo.com/foo-fighters-sonic-highways#/

Letterman clips:
Dave's interview with Grohl (just alright)
http://youtu.be/x3TC_taegxs

War Pigs (pretty great)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv5ekzTubwU

Kick it Out (pretty good)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qgdVZq1Pfk

Lastly, the album doesn't release until November 10th.

Tour dates announced so far are:

10/17/2014 CHICAGO, IL THE CUBBY BEAR
10/26/2014 LAS VEGAS, NV LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL
11/2/2014 NEW ORLEANS, LA VOODOO FESTIVAL
12/10/2014 CAPE TOWN, SOUTH AFRICA CAPE TOWN STADIUM
12/13/2014 JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA FNB STADIUM
1/15/2015 SANTIAGO, CHILE ESTADIO NACIONAL
1/18/2015 BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA ESTADIO UNICO DE LA PLATA
1/21/2015 PORTO ALEGRE, BRASIL ESTACIONAMENTO DA FIERGS
1/23/2015 SÃO PAULO, BRASIL ESTÁDIO DO MORUMBI
1/25/2015 RIO DE JANEIRO, BRASIL ESTÁDIO DO MARACANÃ
1/28/2015 BELO HORIZONTE, BRASIL MEGA SPACE
1/31/2015 BOGOTÁ, COLOMBIA ESTADIO EL CAMPÍN
6/5 - 6/7/2015 NÜRBURGRING, GERMANY ROCK AM RING

potam

Banned
Saw a promo for this before Boardwalk this week. Not a Foo Fighters fan, but it looked pretty interesting. I'll probably at least check the first one out at some point.

This is great. I love the concept.

Dave Grohl just gets to do whatever the fuck he wants and obviously has a hell of a lot of fun doing it. I'm jealous.

Metalmarc

This i'm looking forward too, i enjoy 'almost' everything that Dave puts out and The Sound City Movie is superb.

Roll on this show. I cant wait.

Metalmarc

I gotta say that version of war pigs up there was ^ quite great even if i do say so myself, been following the foos on and off over the years since 1997, and much like queen after all the heavy metal i listen too Both bands are bands i can come home to if you know what i mean? (Ie spend months to even a year away from listening to something from the band and then suddenly hear something and come back to them again for a while, every time theres a new release, or concert tour or something)

Edit : Subbed

I gotta say that version of war pigs up there was ^ quite great even if i do say so myself, been following the foos on and off over the years since 1997, and much like queen after all the heavy metal i listen too Both bands are bands i can come home to if you know what i mean? (Ie spend months to even a year away from listening to something from the band and then suddenly hear something and come back to them again for a while, every time theres a new release, or concert tour or something)

Edit : Subbed

Did you ever see their last documentary, Sound City? Highly recommend it if you haven't. They cover the history of Sound City Studios in California and then recorded a bunch of songs with other artists that recorded there. It's excellent.

Did you ever see their last documentary, Sound City? Highly recommend it if you haven't. They cover the history of Sound City Studios in California and then recorded a bunch of songs with other artists that recorded there. It's excellent.
Yeah this seems like a perfect followup to that docu.

Metalmarc

Yes it's excellent, one of my all time fave documentarys.
The part where Dave buys that soundboard.. Oh man

Which is why I'm excited for this show and the live steam tonight

Enjoyed the hell out of it, kinda wished it was longer. I will say I'm a bit surprised there was no commentary about the Dio riff.

Remember the concert should be live streamed pretty soon if not already. Check OP for link.

Great shows (both the doc and the stream). Can't wait for them to announce a tour date in NYC.

Really love these Taylor covers.

The stream is unwatchable for me. Bummer.

I keep having problems with it, too. It'll keep jumping in quality or just stopping altogether. Sometimes it'll be stable for a minute or two (possibly only if I'm behind the live stream a bit?), but then it stops again. Heh.

I just finished up the first episode. Wow, that was really entertaining. Dave's becoming quite adept in telling a story. I was a little hesitant to how the Foo Fighters recording would tie into everything, the end had a great payoff. Holy crap, I'm excited to see the next episode.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Yeah, the stream wonked out on my about 10 minutes ago, and now it's only playing live with no rewind (I started about 20 minutes late)

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
and now Dave's at the back of the club, on top of the bar, playing and drinking beer, while playing a long blues riff.

zychi

Banned
it would die, but it kept going if you restarted the browser. great show, so jealous i didnt hear about it until the $20 tix were gone

TeegsD

That was a hell of a concert, I really need to see 'em live. Need to watch episode 1 of the show tomorrow morning

Necrovex

I'm now extremely pissed at myself for not going. MOTHERFUCKING CHEAP TRICK

I saw Cheap Trick during Riot Fest and they were my biggest disappointment at the festival. :-(

I missed Patti Smith to see them too, so the pain is only greater.

Wasn't too sure about Something From Nothing, but yeah. This is rad.

Like this one as well, but I enjoy Something From Nothing a bit more at the moment.

New episode tonight. Pretty sure they are in DC for this one.

Also, did everyone see this?

O5h8ddW.png

presale password is highways

Just caught the new episode, loved it. Gave me a better appreciation for the new song. I liked it enough already, but this made it better somehow.

Only thing wrong with this series in my mind is they cover so much awesome stuff and have to cram it onto 1 hour.

Excited to see the Nashville episode next week.

Excellent episode. I had not heard of Go-go before, that was really neat and I'll have to delve into Trouble Funk and Chuck Brown's catalogs. Prefer the first song to the second, but both were awesome and definitely enhanced by the episode. I've chosen not to listen to any song prior to their airing on the show -- will be putting off buying the album until the last episode airs.

It was great to see this episode because it has a bunch of footage of DC/Northern Virginia. I just moved to Falls Church and it was really cool to see some neighborhoods that I live by. I need to go see Inner Ear Studios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom