• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic HIghways, Foo FIghters HBO Series / Album Documentary - Friday 10/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metalmarc

UK gaf, it's on BBC Four Right now, started 10pm, sorry only just found it by flicking through channels, saw no advertisement for it, Episode 2 is on straight after, at 11pm

element

This is seriously so good! If the rest of the series is anything as thoughtful and driven as the first two, this is a series that any fan of music should watch. The DC episode was so strong!

I know they did concerts in each town they stop in and I hope is that they will release concert footage, because I heard that they were amazing! I was incredibly jealous of those that went to the one here in Seattle.

This is seriously so good! If the rest of the series is anything as thoughtful and driven as the first two, this is a series that any fan of music should watch. The DC episode was so strong!

I know they did concerts in each town they stop in and I hope is that they will release concert footage, because I heard that they were amazing! I was incredibly jealous of those that went to the one here in Seattle.

Agreed on all counts. The Chicago Cubby Bear show is on YouTube.

http://youtu.be/8SszyQUXHYQ

Also, tickets to next year's show at Wrigley go on sale in just under 2 hours.

I haven't really listened to Foo Fighters except maybe two of their songs. One of them being Everlong, of course. I play that on Rocksmith allll the time. Anyway, I'm really enjoying Sonic Highways. Very well done show!

Metalmarc

I am eating this shit up and I'm gonna be so bummed when this show is over. Probably my favorite episode thus far.

This was actually my least fave, since im not into country much, ah well can't like them all, what i do like is that we get lyric performance vids of each song at the end of every show. But even though it was my least fave episode,it was still very interesting.

It's still going to be a awesome document to watch in full if and when it comes out on bluray, i hope they shot a ton of bonus scenes too

amnesiac

The album has leaked.

It's really good. Think I might like it more than Wasting Light, can't tell for sure now though.

Metalmarc

Foo Fighters Friday means a new song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II2qM619h94

Really not sure on this one. Will have to reserve judgement until the show tonight.

Not too bad, sounds 70's-ish, theres bands song going on in there in the first half but i can't think what it is, i was thinking like blue oyster cultish, but after second attempt maybe not, last half a bit of the riff reminds me a bit of the band....and you will know us by the trail of the dead, kind of in a obscure way.

Can't wait for tonights episode though its always sunday by the time i see it here in the uk.

J.W.Crazy

Not too bad, sounds 70's-ish, theres bands song going on in there in the first half but i can't think what it is, i was thinking like blue oyster cultish, but after second attempt maybe not, last half a bit of the riff reminds me a bit of the band....and you will know us by the trail of the dead, kind of in a obscure way.

Can't wait for tonights episode though its always sunday by the time i see it here in the uk.

The second half sounds a lot like All You Need Is Love to me. I'm getting the same vibes from the first half. Very 70s. There's a few songs that it reminds me of but I can't quite place them. Parts of it are like Joe Walsh or maybe even a bit like Queen. It's definitely an interesting song. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet.

This episode more than any so far could have been twice as long with how many different threads there were to explore. I felt like they'd barely touched on things before moving on to the next part.

octopiggy

When watching this series I can't help but wish that there was an episode in the UK.

British music history beats American music history. Discuss.

yyzjohn

Banned
Really enjoying the HBO show, I almost don't want to listen to the album until seeing all the episodes so I get the background on each track.

Metalmarc

When watching this series I can't help but wish that there was an episode in the UK.

British music history beats American music history. Discuss.

Agreed,but this is a documentary by an American band, in America.
however if dave feels like doing a follow up then it could work.

Enjoyed last night's episode. Was kind of dreading the LA one because I feared a bit too much Sunset Strip / Hair Metal and was pleasantly surprised. Also perfect timing -- it makes me REALLY want to play GTAV (coming out on Tuesday for current gen).

Omni

I ended up buying the album even though I was hesitant.

Previews didn't do the songs justice. I'm really liking it. "Subterranean" is amazing

Metalmarc

This episode was My favourite of the series so far personally. Loved the desert stuff, don't like glam so i'm glad dave didnt focus on that much.

Also still haven't heard the album yet, i quite like hearing the songs each week at the end of the episode.

Metalmarc

why is the album only 8 songs

should i get tickets to see them

discuss

Sometimes a album only needs to be 8 songs long, especially in the old days before CD's a lot of albums would only be 8 songs long because there was less recording time available on vinyl i think i read somewhere.

You should definitely go see the foo fighters live if you haven't yet, they put on a great show.

Auctopus

Been looking forward to each episode and enjoying the show thoroughly, though I think the earlier episodes were stronger but I suppose it depends on your music taste.

The album is good and fine but I think Dave's lyricism has suffered most from the time constraints shown in writing/recording each song, it comes across heavy-handed.

zerotol

Banned
I have no interest in foo fighters at all but have enjoyed all these quite a bit. Good stuff, especially the DC and Austin episodes.

CrankyJay

Banned
Marathoned a bunch of episodes last night. Love this show, but some of the lyrics seem hamfisted or forced. Some of the lyrics on some of the tracks just seem disjointed. But love the story telling.

Finally caught up on the last 2 episodes. I continue to enjoy the heck out of them and wish they were longer.

I get what people are saying about the lyrics seeming ham fisted, but I actually find them to be fantastic when paired with the show and great tributes to the history of the cities, which is what the show is all about to me.

I think Nashville and Austin are my top two so far.

iamblades

Same. L.A. was good too. Nothing like getting to see footage of Fugazi, The Germs, Kyuss etc

And the Joe Walsh cameo was awesome.

Dude just threw down.

One of the greatest guitarists to ever live, and doesn't get nearly enough credit because of his laid back personality.

CrankyJay

Banned
And the Joe Walsh cameo was awesome.

Dude just threw down.

One of the greatest guitarists to ever live, and doesn't get nearly enough credit because of his laid back personality.

I love Joe Walsh, but I thought his solo kind of sucked...but the guy has bought himself enough cred and goodwill that he could have spit out anything and the Foo Fighters would be like "that's fucking awesome"...lol

I'm pretty sure Joe was fucking with them.

blanky

Maybe it's something in my food, but that Seattle episode hit home man.

Still as much as I really love what he is doing with this documentary, I just don't feel the same way about the actual songs.

CrankyJay

Banned
Maybe it's something in my food, but that Seattle episode hit home man.

Still as much as I really love what he is doing with this documentary, I just don't feel the same way about the actual songs.

Wasn't a fan of the New Orleans episode, but I really enjoyed the Seattle one.

Wasn't a fan of the New Orleans episode, but I really enjoyed the Seattle one.

Oddly, I was the exact opposite. Then again, I go to New Orleans a lot and have only been to Seattle once, so I recognized a lot of the material they were covering.

While I find that first listen of the songs during the episode doesn't make the best impression, repeated listens from the album and I've grown to really like them (haven't heard the last song yet, though, I always wait until the episode airs to hear the song).

I really wish this had been 10 episodes long, not 8. A few omissions that could have filled the remaining two:

1. San Francisco: Grateful Dead, Faith No More, Primus, Cake (if extend to the Northern California), Metallica -- theme would be jam bands, alternative to Southern California
2. Detroit: Motown, MC5, Nugent, Eminem -- theme would be music from blue collar / industrial area
3. Boston: Boston, Aerosmith, Mighty Mighty Bosstones -- dunno theme, but ska could play a role

CrankyJay

Banned
Oddly, I was the exact opposite. Then again, I go to New Orleans a lot and have only been to Seattle once, so I recognized a lot of the material they were covering.

While I find that first listen of the songs during the episode doesn't make the best impression, repeated listens from the album and I've grown to really like them (haven't heard the last song yet, though, I always wait until the episode airs to hear the song).

I really wish this had been 10 episodes long, not 8. A few omissions that could have filled the remaining two:

1. San Francisco: Grateful Dead, Faith No More, Primus, Cake (if extend to the Northern California), Metallica -- theme would be jam bands, alternative to Southern California
2. Detroit: Motown, MC5, Nugent, Eminem -- theme would be music from blue collar / industrial area
3. Boston: Boston, Aerosmith, Mighty Mighty Bosstones -- dunno theme, but ska could play a role

Having been to New Orleans and Jazzfest etc is precisely why I didn't like the New Orleans episode...I felt they were missing stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom