• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic HIghways, Foo FIghters HBO Series / Album Documentary - Friday 10/17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oddly, I was the exact opposite. Then again, I go to New Orleans a lot and have only been to Seattle once, so I recognized a lot of the material they were covering.

While I find that first listen of the songs during the episode doesn't make the best impression, repeated listens from the album and I've grown to really like them (haven't heard the last song yet, though, I always wait until the episode airs to hear the song).

I really wish this had been 10 episodes long, not 8. A few omissions that could have filled the remaining two:

1. San Francisco: Grateful Dead, Faith No More, Primus, Cake (if extend to the Northern California), Metallica -- theme would be jam bands, alternative to Southern California
2. Detroit: Motown, MC5, Nugent, Eminem -- theme would be music from blue collar / industrial area
3. Boston: Boston, Aerosmith, Mighty Mighty Bosstones -- dunno theme, but ska could play a role

Take Eminem off the list. You can't discuss Detroit music, specifically Detroit hip hop, without discussing J Dilla. Well unless your only knowledge of hip hop is Eminem.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Having been to New Orleans and Jazzfest etc is precisely why I didn't like the New Orleans episode...I felt they were missing stuff.
HBO already has an entire series that was about New Orleans music, I appreciated the small focus on Doctor John, Trombone Shorty and the couple others.

Boston would have made a shitty episode. No one who ever makes it in Boston stays in Boston.

Having been to New Orleans and Jazzfest etc is precisely why I didn't like the New Orleans episode...I felt they were missing stuff.

Sure, they missed quite a bit of stuff. I would've loved to have seen some of NO's metal scene, for instance. However, given it is only a 50m show (10m being the intro and the song at the end) I think they did OK. Loved the focus on Doctor John, The Meters, etc.

Take Eminem off the list. You can't discuss Detroit music, specifically Detroit hip hop, without discussing J Dilla. Well unless your only knowledge of hip hop is Eminem.

I'll be the first to admit my knowledge of hip hop isn't deep. (But it is a bit deeper than just Eminem, haha).

HBO already has an entire series that was about New Orleans music, I appreciated the small focus on Doctor John, Trombone Shorty and the couple others.

Boston would have made a shitty episode. No one who ever makes it in Boston stays in Boston.

Yeah, I think San Fran and Detroit would be the two that would make the cut.

Anyhow, series is over. I really enjoyed it, will miss looking forward to it every week. Really like the album as a whole as well. Fantastic final episode, some really touching moments and wow @ the final interview...

Now I just have to buy the blu-ray -- c'mon Foos / HBO, you know you wanna release it!

That was a really fun series. Part of me hopes they do more of this, but the rest of me wants it to end here. I've been a Foo Fighters fan for a long time now, and now I think they've hit a really cool point creatively. Not necessarily a point musically, since nothing they've done has been outside their comfort zone of guitar-driven rock anthems, but creatively in the visual medium of documentaries.

I look forward to what they come up with next, but more importantly, I look forward to seeing them in concert again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom