• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Origins Plus coming June 23rd with a physical release, to include all 12 Game Gear Sonic games and playable Amy

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The birthday of Sonic the Hedgehog is June 23rd, and this year, fans of the blue blur will have a nice reason to celebrate. That happens to be the release date for Sonic Origins Plus, a new expansion for last year's game that will add a wealth of new and existing content. For Sonic fans that already own Sonic Origins, the expansion will cost just $9.99. However, those that skipped out on the collection will be able to get it in a digital or physical bundle for $39.99, with the latter receiving a handful of extras. Sonic Origins Plus will include the following:

• Main Game
  • 12 Game Gear Games Emulated and Playable in the Museum
  • Classic Amy as a Playable Character in Sonic the Hedgehog 1, 2, 3, and Sonic CD
  • Knuckles as a Playable Character in Sonic CD
  • All Previously Released Sonic Origins DLC
  • 20-Page Artbook (Physical exclusive)
  • Reversible Coversheet with New, Never-Before-Seen Art (Physical exclusive)
Sonic Origins Plus will be available both physically and digitally for all of the game's current platforms, including Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, and PC. A lack of physical release was one of the biggest complaints about the original version of Sonic Origins, so this package should make a lot of fans happy! Of course, the inclusion of Game Gear games should sweeten the deal. In total, 12 Sonic games were released for the Game Gear in its lifetime, so fans should expect to see all of those games included in Sonic Origins Plus. Those titles include:

• Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  • Sonic Chaos
  • Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
  • Sonic Drift
  • Sonic Drift 2
  • Sonic Spinball
  • Sonic the Hedgehog Triple Trouble
  • Tails Adventure
  • Tails' Skypatrol
  • Sonic Labyrinth
  • Sonic Blast
Readers should keep in mind that the Game Gear versions of the first two Sonic games are significantly different from those that released on Sega Genesis. As such, these additions should make for a nice package overall! While the current four games available in Sonic Origins also received special Anniversary modes, it seems that only the original Game Gear versions will be included in this package.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
It should have been the Sega Master System version of Sonic 1. For Sonic 2, Sonic Chaos, Sonic Spinball and Dr Robotnik's Bean Machine though, they were only released in PAL on SMS and since they're using emulation for those games (I think?), yeah, it's better to just use the Sega Game Gear versions.
On a side note, now that the 3DS eShop is shutting down soon, I wish Sega would make their Game Gear ~plus Master System, Genesis/CD/32X, Saturn and Dreamcast~ titles available for modern platforms, either on their own classics line or for Nintendo Switch Online and PlayStation Plus Premium (or both).

Last edited:

cireza

Aren't Gamegear and Master System games exactly the same with different resolution?
Not exactly, there are many subtle differences. But overall, for games that have a fast pacing such as Sonic, the bigger resolution helps a lot with the wider field of view. I'd rather play the Master System versions.

I am waiting to see if it is actually M2 who managed emulation here. You can't get better developers for 8/16 bits SEGA emulators and enhancements.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
Sonic and Sonic 2 for MS/GG were awesome, but at some point Sega began to release Sonic games like this:

sonic_blast1.jpg

If only sonic 3 had its music restored

Hell make it a DLC if you have too, even if it's £10 on top because the Jackson Trust are greedy assholes il pay it so that Ice Cap zone has its music back.
Yup. And this is why I'll never get rid of my GameCube copy of Sonic Mega Collection. It has all the OG music and no performance issues, as I recall.

Last edited:

SCB3

Some good stuff here, I kinda wish they used Sonic Origins as a "Hub" of sorts for the older games pre Xbox 360/PS3 era, there needs to be more of that

Awesome! This is what I was waiting for. Also classic Amy playable for the very first time! Wonder if she'll have any unique gimmicks or she'll just play like Sonic.

Saber

Gold Member
Game gear? Lame....would rather prefer Master System version.

Honestly I'm curious how these losers will handle Sonic 2.

Last edited:

Fake

Aren't Gamegear and Master System games exactly the same with different resolution?

Far worse. Because of the GG resolution some changes and enemies place had to be adjust, making them horrible to play in comparison with Master System.

Sonic 2 for GG for example is almost impossible to have fun in comparison with his MS counterpart.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Most important question, CAN WE SEE AMY'S FEET??

I saw that one time on Gamefaqs Sonic Advance board, and it's scarred my brain since.

Far worse. Because of the GG resolution some changes and enemies place had to be adjust, making them horrible to play in comparison with Master System.

Sonic 2 for GG for example is almost impossible to have fun in comparison with his MS counterpart.
I only ever played the MS system of Sonic 2. My very first Sonic game.

93xfan

Banned
If only sonic 3 had its music restored

Hell make it a DLC if you have too, even if it's £10 on top because the Jackson Trust are greedy assholes il pay it so that Ice Cap zone has its music back.
I agree, but they probably don’t want to get the music industry looking into this and then trying to sue for all the past releases while they’re at it

Last edited:

YCoCg

MAJOR UPDATE

Headcannon are back working with SEGA again (the team behind Sonic Mania) and confirmed that they've been the one to do the new spritework for Amy and Knuckles across the main games as well as fix up a few things and other surprises.

Sounds like Sonic Origins might be finally worth it!

Fake

After that whining I find funny SEGA want they to fix the game after headcannon kicking them into bus.

Real shame Taxman is nowhere to be seeing. The guy is a legend. Probably for the best. Mania is too good to be real.

Last edited:

YCoCg

Real shame Taxman is nowhere to be seeing.
He has been very quiet the past few months, but the website for his studio was updated and it still mentions the Retro Engine along with this...
"Now at Evening Star, the development of Retro Engine's award-winning pixel art technology continues. Stay tuned for more updates!"

diffusionx

Gold Member
After that whining I find funny SEGA want they to fix the game after headcannon kicking them into bus.

Real shame Taxman is nowhere to be seeing. The guy is a legend. Probably for the best. Mania is too good to be real.
it is tax season...

Krathoon

I went ahead an got this for the Switch. Found it on eBay for $35.

Kind of annoys me that the original tracks for Sonic 3 are replaced.

It is really the final update to these old games. Just play the original Sonic 3 in an emulator.

I was tempted to get the Steam version to mod it, but I could not find a cheap Steam key.

I went ahead an got this for the Switch. Found it on eBay for $35.

Kind of annoys me that the original tracks for Sonic 3 are replaced.

It is really the final update to these old games. Just play the original Sonic 3 in an emulator.

I was tempted to get the Steam version to mod it, but I could not find a cheap Steam key.
I got this for Switch and my dumbass didn't realize everything but the Genesis games are download code. 😡 Rage.

What the hell!? Thats's very shitty from Sega!
Yeah, it's total BS IMO.. as if these games couldn't fit in the cart.

Where I've seen other games mention it on the front cover there was nothing about this on the front cover and the only spot that mentions you have to download them as in small text on the back so I overlooked it.

If I could take it back for a refund I would.

CDkIEnH.jpg
RAWFKXr.jpg
0avtKrl.jpg

Last edited:

Krathoon

Is there a way to mod the original Sonic 3 music into the Switch version? The files may be on the SD card.

Last edited:
Top Bottom