• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic x Shadows Generations Release Date Trailer | Summer Game Fest 2024

Draugoth

Gold Member

GPgOC_eW4AA6-8Y

Last edited:

Pelao

Looks nice, but I'll probably wait for a sale to check out the new stages. I'm not a fan of Shadow and I already have Sonic Generations running at 4K 60fps on my Series X.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I still dont know what this is.

Is it Sonic Generations remaster plus some bonus Shadow stuff? Is it a mashup of Shadow content from multiple games?
Yeah the messaging sucks. I think it's a Generations sequel with zones more focused on the 3D games rather than the 16-bit. But I could be totally wrong about that.

stickkidsam

Gold Member
I still dont know what this is.

Is it Sonic Generations remaster plus some bonus Shadow stuff? Is it a mashup of Shadow content from multiple games?
I’m pretty sure it’s a remaster plus some new DLC based on Shadow. There hasn’t been any footage of Sonic in a new level, and it did say that it’s 2 adventures or something.

BlackTron

Gold Member
I want the Adventure 1 skin but not bad enough to preorder. Edit: Might just wait for Switch 2. Physical cart AND decent hardware. Already got old Generations on PC and honestly, it's hard to tell the difference but it could just be Youtube compression. The new Shadow content does look far more next-gen.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I feel like the problem had less to do with the messaging and more with your reading skills. They've been pretty clear about what it is: a Generations remaster + a Shadow standalone campaign.
I haven't read anything though, I was watching a trailer and it was my first time hearing about it and it was totally unclear.

Soodanim

lol that we don't really know if it's an expanded remaster or a sequel. Good work. Sega.

I was underwhelmed by Generations (tried to skip all the 3D stages but I was forced to do them IIRC) so I've essentially no interest in buying this, but I'll still keep an eye on it out of curiosity.

I do like the DnB track used in the trailer. Sonic deserves more music like that if it wants to be fast paced, not some silly sods doing cheesy vocal work.

Weird that a new game is shown and I'm more interested in the OST than the game.

Unknown?

lol that we don't really know if it's an expanded remaster or a sequel. Good work. Sega.

I was underwhelmed by Generations (tried to skip all the 3D stages but I was forced to do them IIRC) so I've essentially no interest in buying this, but I'll still keep an eye on it out of curiosity.

I do like the DnB track used in the trailer. Sonic deserves more music like that if it wants to be fast paced, not some silly sods doing cheesy vocal work.

Weird that a new game is shown and I'm more interested in the OST than the game.
The 3D stages were the best though. 2D wasn't that good, was only serviceable.

That said it's not a sequel, this is simply a remaster with an added Shadow campaign to cash in on the 3rd movie. The Shadow stuff does look pretty well made though.

Saber

Gold Member
That was the original concept of Shadow.

Also there will be an open world hub according to PS Blog.

Shadow never had any actual concept from what I remember.This was supposed to be Sonic as Dark(Evil) Sonic, a type of form exclusive to this game(not a super form though, more like a transformation like Werehog). But they drop the concept because they wanted Sonic to be a hero, not a villain. So they created Shadow and designed it to be an anti-hero.

Last edited:

Unknown?

Shadow never had any actual concept from what I remember.This was supposed to be Sonic as Dark(Evil) Sonic, a type of form exclusive to this game(not a super form though, more like a transformation like Werehog). But they drop the concept because they wanted Sonic to be a hero, not a villain. So they created Shadow and designed it to be an anti-hero.
This is the character they were working on before Shadow was designed.

"When being designed, the character's original name was "Terios", an Old Greek word which roughly translates to "making dreams come true"[11], possibly chosen in reference to Gerald's reason for creating the Ultimate Lifeform."

Last edited:

Unknown?

I bought it on Series S x-enhanced for 5 bucks. I wonder if this version is even worth it in this case. I guess if you really like Shadow.
Depends if you enjoyed the original and how much extra this campaign will be. If it's 80% the size of the original, I would say it's worth it. If it's less than half the size, not really.

Last edited:

Ristifer

I was a fan of Generations, but the Shadow parts of this look atrocious. The level design is laughable. Almost carbon copy level design from the cyberspace levels in Frontiers. I’m guessing they’re meant to be inspired by Shadow’s zones in previous games, but good lord.

Unknown?

I was a fan of Generations, but the Shadow parts of this look atrocious. The level design is laughable. Almost carbon copy level design from the cyberspace levels in Frontiers. I’m guessing they’re meant to be inspired by Shadow’s zones in previous games, but good lord.
Uhhh most of those cyberspace levels were based off of Generations just with a cyber style. They had the same exact paths.

Astral Dog

Having Generations on Xbox at 4k 60 FPS I don't see the point in this re-release, the extra content seems anemic.
Its one of the better recieved 3D Sonic games ,its modern enough they don't need to overhaul the visuals(though idk if there are any differences between this version and Xbox emulated)they want a new game alongside the movie launch,and the next main game is still years away it makes sense

Im actually surprised they are making a separate Shadow campaing for Generations ,it requires some effort unlike the barebones Sonic Colors port

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Shadow in SA2 and Generations are like some of the only bright spots in a wall of shit for me lol

wow

I think Sonic Unleashed (day levels) blow Generations out of the water

and I liked Sonic's human girlfriend from Sonic 06' better than Shadow the Edgehog lol

Last edited:

BlackTron

Gold Member
wow

I think Sonic Unleashed (day levels) blow Generations out of the water

and I liked Sonic's human girlfriend from Sonic 06' better than Shadow the Edgehog lol

Day levels in Unleashed were good. Unfortunately, the insanely long and bad werehog levels, QTE's, choppy performance and cutscenes so cringe they make Sonic Adventure "you're gonna crash!" look like fine art, prevented me from completing it back in the day (I'm trying again with 60FPS which helps a lot slogging through the werehog stages).

Shadow the "Edgehog" the game, and character, was a disaster. When he debuted in Sonic Adventure 2 I thought he was awesome.

wvnative

Day levels in Unleashed were good. Unfortunately, the insanely long and bad werehog levels, QTE's, choppy performance and cutscenes so cringe they make Sonic Adventure "you're gonna crash!" look like fine art, prevented me from completing it back in the day (I'm trying again with 60FPS which helps a lot slogging through the werehog stages).

Shadow the "Edgehog" the game, and character, was a disaster. When he debuted in Sonic Adventure 2 I thought he was awesome.

I don't hate Shadow the Hedgehog like most people, but playing it it's like wow, they could have made a realllllllllly cool game but this is what we got...

They should remake it into a good game, perhaps this new shadow story in generations is a half-step to kind of doing it?

BlackTron

Gold Member
I don't hate Shadow the Hedgehog like most people, but playing it it's like wow, they could have made a realllllllllly cool game but this is what we got...

They should remake it into a good game, perhaps this new shadow story in generations is a half-step to kind of doing it?

I hated that game ever since it was announced and I saw the first piece of promo art from IGN. Shadow holding a revolver all edgy as fuck. It was dead pre-arrival for me, from that one piece of media I knew I hated everything this game stands for lol. That is a different character from the one that appeared in SA2. I will admit I've never played it. I already hated it AND the reviews mocked it.

Maybe they can remake it into a decent game but the whole "Shadow the Edgehog" thing is an assassination of a character I thought was cool so I'd rather keep it in the past.

Unknown?

I hated that game ever since it was announced and I saw the first piece of promo art from IGN. Shadow holding a revolver all edgy as fuck. It was dead pre-arrival for me, from that one piece of media I knew I hated everything this game stands for lol. That is a different character from the one that appeared in SA2. I will admit I've never played it. I already hated it AND the reviews mocked it.

Maybe they can remake it into a decent game but the whole "Shadow the Edgehog" thing is an assassination of a character I thought was cool so I'd rather keep it in the past.
I was the same way but I recently went to play it on Dolphin to see if it was as bad as I thought back then and it really wasn't that bad and it did have some cool concepts like branching paths.

It tried way too hard to be cool but the gameplay wasn't any worse than Heroes.

BlackTron

Gold Member
I was the same way but I recently went to play it on Dolphin to see if it was as bad as I thought back then and it really wasn't that bad and it did have some cool concepts like branching paths.

It tried way too hard to be cool but the gameplay wasn't any worse than Heroes.

Heroes with an Edgehog? Thanks but I'm good

nial

Gold Member
Are people really confused? Pretty clear that it's a Generations remaster + new Shadow expansion, very much akin to the Mario 3D World remaster.

Top Bottom