• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Buys EVO

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Cool, it means two things.
Playstation will be the defacto home for fighting games in the future, second the Playstation brand will get tons of marketing exposure among fighting games communities and all the events around those games.
This has nothing to do with acquiring studios, it's not an alternative either, it's about key and strategic brand positioning and for what it is it's very smart.
This is what I thought, more about marketing and ways to make more money. Not really meant to be any kind of answer to what Microsoft is doing. Fair enough, carry on people.

fersnake

What is the point of this? Waste of money if you ask me. This money should've gone towards securing a steady flow of content stream for PlayStation years to come through the acquisitions of Kojima Productions, Bluepoint Studio, and expanding Japan Studio - not downsizing them.
you clearly dont know how they spend their money internally so stop with this bs, let them buy or whatever they want with their money.

I'd much rather see the tournament scene remain largely independent, instead of being overseen by a singular publisher-platform holder. With the genre's focus on esports, assuming this succeeds and Evo continues to be the most prominent worldwide tournament, this acquisition would potentially make Sony a quasi-gatekeeper of fighting games and their content, regardless of what consoles are allowed at the actual events. I'm not particularly optimistic about this announcement, but I will be interested to see, whether Sony ultimately finds partially owning Evo to be more trouble than it's worth.

ethomaz

Banned
Wonder what this means for Smash...
"With the support of world-class publishers, Evo is returning this year as Evo Online, a fully online competition taking place August 6 - 8 and 13 -15. Entry will be free, and players in North America, Europe, Asia and Latin America* will be able to compete in BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment’s Tekken 7, Capcom’s Street Fighter V: Champion Edition, Warner Bros. Games’ Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate**, and Arc System Works’ Guilty Gear™ -Strive- in an open format. The online qualifiers will be livestreamed for fans, and more details will be shared in the coming weeks on evo.gg."

At least this year it won't have any Smash.

Last edited:
What is the point of this? Waste of money if you ask me. This money should've gone towards securing a steady flow of content stream for PlayStation years to come through the acquisitions of Kojima Productions, Bluepoint Studio, and expanding Japan Studio - not downsizing them.
But why.gif
See below.
It's a joint venture. I think it's a great call, to be honest, as long as they don't remove non-Sony games from the tournament. I think they won't and it'll probably be more of an overseer type of owner interest.
Yeah, this.
EVO is still a popular event. This cements PlayStation as the console for the event and all the advertising that comes from that.

What will be interesting is how Nintendo games may fare at the event. I feel like Nintendo is the one keeping it from the event this year at least.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
What will be interesting is how Nintendo games may fare at the event. I feel like Nintendo is the one keeping it from the event this year at least.
There is no Nintendo game in EVO this year from the PR.

Tekken 7
Street Fight V
Mortal Kombat 11
Guilty Gear

There are the games for EVO in August.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I time traveled into the future and found Sony's next acquisition.

AqialqX.jpg

AmuroChan

Relax people. Not every acquisition Sony makes has to be a counter to Bethesda. Multi-billion dollar corporations don't make deals just for the sake of countering someone else's move. They make deals that serve their self-interests, that bolsters their own businesses, and furthers their strategic vision.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Cool, it means two things.
Playstation will be the defacto home for fighting games in the future, second the Playstation brand will get tons of marketing exposure among fighting games communities and all the events around those games.
This has nothing to do with acquiring studios, it's not an alternative either, it's about key and strategic brand positioning and for what it is it's very smart.
Can’t play smash or killer instinct on PS tho

Fighting games is my number one genre so I am happy with this since I feel it will bring in more exclusives from that genre. Now gimme SF6 exclusive lol

kyoji

evo is the biggest fighting game tournament, this is good seeing as if sony has had a real hand in helping esports along for fighting games. huge huge exposure, good move IMO and they probably got it for dirt cheap considering the mr wiz scandal

Rat Rage

Oh, nice, EVO is dead now. Now EVO will become even more "E-Sports", which means more restrictions and LESS FUN for everyone involved.

kyoji

Its online this year cause of covid but man its gona be lit to go back to evo in person, people come from all parts of the world to compete and watch. I do hope they kinda change the venue out of vegas though!

Top Bottom