• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony doesn't expect PlayStation 6 before 2027, confidential document suggests

Airbus Jr

Banned

Sony doesn't expect PlayStation 6 before 2027, confidential document suggests​

Sony does not expect its next-generation PlayStation to arrive until at least 2027, a confidential document has suggested.

The partially-redacted document was released publicly today as part of the UK's ongoing in-depth Competition and Markets Authority review into Microsoft's proposed $68bn Activision Blizzard buyout - a deal Sony has strongly objected to.

In an intriguing passage discussing the length of time Call of Duty may remain on PlayStation, Sony claims that (at the time of writing) it expected to lose access to the franchise in 2027. Sony then goes on to state that by the time it "launched the next generation of its PlayStation console... it would have lost access to Call of Duty and other Activision titles".

Putting aside the possibility of whether Sony would actually lose access to Call of Duty (something Xbox boss Phil Spencer has recently repeatedly denied) the suggestion here from Sony is that the PlayStation 6 will not launch until after its feared 2027 COD cut-off date.

That puts PS5, which originally launched in November 2020, on at least a seven-year lifecycle - and potentially longer.

In the document, Sony states its concern that the loss of COD in 2027 would leave PlayStation "extremely vulnerable to consumer switching and subsequent degradation in its competitiveness" - presumably for when the subsequent console generation arrived.

"PlayStation 6 in 2028?" industry analyst Piers Harding-Rolls wrote on Twitter.

A redacted section of this passage does note the actual year Sony expects PS6 to materialise - although the public version of this has it blanked out.

To compare, PS4 launched in November 2013,
exactly seven years before PS5 - though the console remains well-supported today.

For its part, Microsoft has claimed it is keen to keep Call of Duty on PlayStation longer than 2027. Last month, Xbox boss Phil Spencer said he was keen to keep releasing COD on Sony platforms "as long as there's a PlayStation out there to ship to".

Romulus

I haven't seen a single next-generation game yet and it's been 2 years since ps5's release. Castillo looks to be the only hope for something like that and that's multiplatform.

So yeah, it's difficult to be excited about what's coming next when everything we're playing now still looks like a ps4 game with higher settings.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I wouldn't expect it either as they don't really make exclusive PS5 games yet as a lot are still made with PS4 in mind because that user base so big still and shortages of hardware . we still holding on to last gen to long. I think this gen could go on a long time

Aenima

Seems about right. 6 years is usually the gap between Playstation gens, PS3 was longer and this one might be longer as well because the 2 year of shortages. So 7 years probably for this gen.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Of course, they're currently working on PS5 Pro.

Animated GIF

Glad I saw this thread, I was about to head out the door with my PS5 and get some trade in money at gamestop.
Now it seems it would be better to keep it.

I hope Sony has a contingency plan and is gearing up one of their first parties to develop something to compete with cod. They really need a killer triple a multiplayer game regardless

Lupin25

I was thinking more along the lines of a 2028-29 release, because of COVID/hardware shortages to stretch the sales/numbers of the PS5.

Plus, we’ve hardly scratched the surface of the PS5’s capabilities. There’s been some great titles (Astro, Returnal, Ratchet, etc.), but NG isn’t truly here yet until the PS4/XO are officially laid aside.

Celcius

°Temp. member
No way we get a mid gen refresh imho. They’re raising the price on the existing hardware as it is, a pro would be like $899. And then once you make that system, how do you make a ps6 which is significantly more powerful but also comes back to the $400-$500 price that Sony likes for their launch consoles?

Last edited:

CobraAB

PS3 to PS4 - 7 years
PS4 to PS5 - 7 years
PS5 to PS6 - 7 years

Sounds reasonable.

Was 6 years between PS2 ad PS3 (In US)
Was 5 years between PS1 and PS2 (In US)

CuNi

Gold Member
No way we get a mid gen refresh imho. They’re raising the price on the existing hardware as it is, a pro would be like $899. And then once you make that system, how do you make a ps6 which is significantly more powerful but also comes back to the $400-$500 price that Sony likes for their launch consoles?

CPU would likely see only a small bump and most would be GPU upgrades.
I could see it start at $799 and slowly drop to $649 or $599 before PS6 launches.

With the other tread showing TSMC's increasing node prices, I don't see console prices coming down, rather following the trend to go up.

I Wonder on what node would the next PlayStation be?Something like a 3+ or 2nm I wonder if it will end around 1nm till new materials and technologies are around

VolticArchangel

Gold Member
If the rumored Pro consoles drop next year or in '24, then yeah '28 is a safe bet, if not, then '27.

Edit - Also, going by historical precedence (even though it's just been once in the past), Sony launches their upgraded consoles around the time their new PSVR generation kicks off...

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
I'm hoping the PS5 pro is the PS6. Keep the same dashboard experience and underlying OS. Just upgrade the look and feel of the OS to match the hardware. I hated that we lost so much from the PS4 functionality wise. I also hated that Xbox basically kept the same OS as it felt lazy. Somewhere in the middle would be perfect.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
2027-28 is fine.
I am dreading the day pro releases... I will get it but I am not happy about getting pro consoles, especially with next gen usually being so close around the corner

zcaa0g

Banned
Plenty of time to do a revision of the PS5 that doesn't look like it was melted in the microwave. It's the least attractive console design since the Gamecube.

PUNKem733

I haven't seen a single next-generation game yet and it's been 2 years since ps5's release. Castillo looks to be the only hope for something like that and that's multiplatform.

So yeah, it's difficult to be excited about what's coming next when everything we're playing now still looks like a ps4 game with higher settings.
Ratchet and clank?

Top Bottom