• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY2021 Earnings Announcement

reksveks

Presentation: https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/21q4_sonypre.pdf
Supplementary Info https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/21q4_supplement.pdf

n2azI4n.png

N7fWK97.png

5cE6UNY.png

qT0CF4Q.png

YG57YMP.png

qXnM06m.png

Summary
- 18M PS5 forecast for the next financial year in the earnings call.
- 34% increase in G&NS revenue next financial year (factor will be ps5 hw revenue numbers, psvr2, increased ARPU on ps+)
- 47% of the 2tn jpy investment for Sony as whole is undecided
- 14.5m first party software sold.

will update with more info as I get a chance

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
There are unknown variables, like how much of the $3.6 Billion they are paying for Bungie are they putting down in FY2022 and how much of the other acquisitions they plan will be charged to that fiscal year (some operating costs also rose by staffing up studios, organic growth yeah ;)), but it gives some insights to what they plan to acquire between now and March 2022 or at least the portion of the purchase they will put down in the balance sheet on FY2022 (some or a lot of that could go in FY2023 too, depending on when the purchase is completed and other factors like multi year giant nosiness to keep employees during the transition, etc…).

What we know for sure is that they project a large revenue growth and still a drop on profits which means an increase in costs/spending by almost $7.5 Billion (for FY ending in March 2022).

Last edited:

kyliethicc

There are unknown variables, like how much of the $3.6 Billion they are paying for Bungie are they putting down in FY2022 and how much of the other acquisitions they plan will be charged to that fiscal year (some operating costs also rose by staffing up studios, organic growth yeah ;)), but it gives some insights to what they plan to acquire between now and March 2022 or at least the portion of the purchase they will put down in the balance sheet on FY2022 (some or a lot of that could go in FY2023 too, depending on when the purchase is completed and other factors like multi year giant nosiness to keep employees during the transition, etc…).

What we know for sure is that they project a large revenue growth and still a drop on profits which means an increase in costs/spending by almost $7.5 Billion (for FY ending in March 2022).
44 billon yen is like 340 million USD.

Last edited:

MOTM

Banned
PS5 at 19.3 million, estimates put the Series X at almost 15 million.

The armchair analysts predicted a 3:1 ratio before the start of this gen. Please, somebody make this make sense.

And don’t even bother pretending the PS5 is the only console that has known supply constraints.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
44 billon yen is like 340 million USD.
Sure, but that is the new estimated profits while the income grew by much much more. So if you make much much more and you achieve even less… well ;).

Revenue: increases by ~920 million Yen
~Profits: decreases by ~44 million Yen
Total costs increase: ~964 Million Yen

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

The armchair analysts predicted a 3:1 ratio before the start of this gen. Please, somebody make this make sense.

And don’t even bother pretending the PS5 is the only console that has known supply constraints.
XSS sold better than people expected and both consoles are still in a phase where their sales are production limited.

Zones

No one has said PS5 will outsell the Xbox Series consoles by 3:1 (not when PS4 couldn't), please show receipts, otherwise you would come across as a desperate fanboy for making shit up in order to bring unnecessary console war talk into an unrelated discussion.

T-Cake

I’m considering Sony to be on probation for these next sixth months until my PS Now sub expires. If the service isn’t dramatically improved by the end of the year, then my PS5 is going to be a Christmas present for somebody else and I’m going full on XBox and Game Pass.

Last edited:

yazenov

I seem to recall alot of Xbox series S on the shelves while there arent any PS5s on any shelf.

There is a huge difference in demand and we all know that the only thing stopping the PS train from 3x xbox is the supply. Lets not kid ourselves into thinking they are remotely the same demand wise.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
PlayStation continues to be the Giga Chad!

+ Another strong year.
+ Spot-on PS5 sales projections for the last quarter.
+ Encouraging PS5 projections for the future, which would be critical to capture an even bigger market chart.
+ Increase game development costs, which is good news for PS gamers.
+ Hints at closing at least 1-2 studio acquisitions.
+ Significantly increased revenue projections
+ Increased first-party sales (14.5 million first-party software sales just this quarter!!)

All-round an excellent year for PS.

Last edited:

reksveks

I don't have an official source on that at the moment. Just a Twitter feed that pours over this kind of data and updates as things come out.

Zuby is a okay follow except for the time where he is wrong and refuses to correct himself.

Will wait to see if there is anything in the transcript later.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Zuby is a okay follow except for the time where he is wrong and refuses to correct himself.

Will wait to see if there is anything in the transcript later.
Yeah. I didn't want to go too heavy onto that because he's not an official source and has been wrong in the past. That's why I said "apparently" and didn't bother quoting him right off the bat. Want to hear it from someone a little more reliable.

Godot25

Banned

It was obvious to anybody with a brain cells that gap between Xbox and PlayStation would shrink this gen.

PS4 outsold Xbox One 2,3:1 while Xbox had nonexisting first-party, higher-priced system and stain of DRM revel.
And anybody can see, that situation is different.

I still expect PS5 to be on top of Xbox, but it will probably be 105 million vs 85-90 million. Which is great for Microsoft since they are have Xbox as a part of their business strategy, not the only part.

Top Bottom