• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Grand WEGA 50" HD-Ready Rear-Projection LCD TV w/ DVI Input & 2-Tuner PIP...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miguel

IN MY LIVING ROOM!

Will we keep it? Who knows...but good lord...I'm gonna have a seizure!

5606962_ra.jpg
5606962rca.jpg

5606962_ba.jpg

!!!

Video 1 = VCR
S-Video 3 = GC (when I get the cable)
Video 4 = N64
Component 5 = PS2 (when I get the cable)
Component 6 = DVD (when I get the cable)
DVI 7 = HD-Digital Cable (when we get it)

SaitoH

I'm dying to get my mitts on a 42" grand wega. So impressed with the picture quality. How do games look on it?

^w^

It's definitely the best picture I've seen. Retail (at my store) is $3299 but I think we could drop it to $3099 before coupons/promotions. On the day after Thanksgiving I think $2799 or maybe even $2699 would be possible.

The 42" LCD Projection retailed for $2999.

edit: I'm "stuck" with a 23" Philips HDTV LCD that's currently serving as my computer monitor.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
That's a fantastic TV, but since you're not using DVI or even component in, you're missing the whole point right now. You don't buy a $3000 TV to play games in S-video.

Miguel

Well, the component cables are coming probably within the week for the DVD player and PS2 (I'll buy them monday)

We're getting Time Warner cable sometime in August, along with with an HD-receiver or whatever it's called for the HD channels.

golem

yea i think the gc on component is more worthwhile than the ps2 (you can only get the cable from nintendo iirc)

Bog said:
I can't believe you people buy projection TV's. What a waste.

In general agreement, but having seen a Samsung DLP unit today, I'm about to make an exception. The unit on demo had a pretty amazing viewing angle - the only light drop off I could notice was vertical, not horizontal (ie: if the set is on the floor and you look down).

Low weight, small depth, and 52". The only downside, really, was the price.

Miguel

ABORT ABORT

:(

Not working. Time to head on over to HomeTheatreForum.com :(

I've read a few reviews after the fact (my dad got it on a whim, of course, didn't inform me...:/) and I'm seeing some sites have reviews abuot the same problems I'm having.

Miguel

Well, to put it simply. It doesn't turn on.

Explanation: A bit of googling turned up a ton of hits for faulty lamps/lamp enclosures/circuitry...etc.

Basically...time to get a different one. Or call Sony and have them come repair it.

Hahaha, how random, I just bought the Sony 50" Grand Wega today =) Mine won't arrive until sometime this week though. Got a killer deal on the stand too =)

Xenon

Oh that sux :\ My set sometimes doesnt come back on if I turn it on right after shutting it off. It hasn't been a major problem and always works fine if I wait a minute.

My other problems so far

One stuck pixle that was extrreemly bright and could be seen up to 12 feet away. I have three others that I have to be 6 inches away to notice.

Just last night I noticed a bright spot on the left of the screen. Its almost like someone is shinning a dim flashlight on it. I will call Sony on monday.

oh yeah here is a thread you may find helpful. If you plan to hook a computer to it you will have to adjust the screen size and position

GWIII thread

Joe

xenon are you using a digital cable box? on my tv once in a while i get a single white pixel that sticks out and its because of my digital box.

Xenon

Yes, but I had the problem before I hooked up digital cable. Sony has already replaced the projector and main board for me. That fixed the problem.

Miguel

TV still not turning on. Gave up for the night.

Oh well, wonder how long it'll take to get it replaced.

SaitoH

Marty Chinn said:
LCD and LCD Projection is a world of a difference. I hate LCD TVs, but LCD Projection is great.

Is it good for gaming though? I'd really rather get a tube TV, but I want at least a 42" widescreen and finding a tube that size is very difficult (next to impossible). So I was thinking of either Plasma, or LCD projection. So what are the pros/cons of each format? Because I'm guessing you chose LCD projection for a reason.

^w^

boo7z

SaitoH said:
Is it good for gaming though? I'd really rather get a tube TV, but I want at least a 42" widescreen and finding a tube that size is very difficult (next to impossible). So I was thinking of either Plasma, or LCD projection. So what are the pros/cons of each format? Because I'm guessing you chose LCD projection for a reason.

^w^

It is impossible to find a 42" tube set. The largest widescreen tube set is an RCA 38" F38310 - no longer manufactured. Sony makes a 40" tube but it is 4:3.

teepo

trippingmartian said:
Apparently there's a 70" LCD Grand Wega now?

http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/se...01&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=169410

All I have to say to that is holy shit. I saw a 60" version in a store the other day and fell in love. Wonder how much a 70" would go for? Sony site prices are usually quite inflated. (the 60" version on their site is priced $2000 more than at Future Shop or The Brick)

Actually you probably made the mistake of confusing the WE version and the XBR version of the 60" Grand Wega. There is about a $2000 difference between the two. The WE version retails for about $3999 and you can probably find it in stores for about $3499 now. If you search harder you can get it down to about $2900 to $3000.

Fusebox

Banned
That TV ... without an Xbox and a HD pack??

Lol!! :p

Bog said:
I can't believe you people buy projection TV's. What a waste.

Oh dont be daft, you cant beat a HD rear proj. for bang-for-buck if you want a massive screen with a good picture.

What TV have you got btw so we can all pass judgement on it?

Miguel

Let's start over again...

5606962_ra.jpg
5606962rca.jpg

5606962_ba.jpg

It was replaced today. WOO! Now...off to best buy tommorow to buy some cables for it! PS2, GC, and DVD

Heh mine still isn't here =( It's supposed to be delivered by Wednesday. I hope everything turns out ok. Your problem has me scared now, especially since I bought it online and don't have a local place to return it to immediately. I just bought a component video auto sensing switchbox since I don't have enough component video inputs on either the TV or my receiver. Can't wait for that to arrive =) Just remember, you can't buy GC component video cables in the store.

Miguel

PS2/DVD will get the component cables
Cable will get the DVI (when we get our cable hooked up)
Gamecube will be SVid
N64 will be Svid (assuming it supports it) If not it'll be RCA/composite cables
VCR will also be Composite cables.

:)

I'm doing PS2, Xbox, GameCube and DVD on Component Video. DC and DirecTivo will be S-Video. As soon as I get some more money I'll probably swap out the DVD player for one that outputs in DVI and maybe get an OTA receiver.

Friend

Go for component cables for the gamecube and bump the ps2 down to svid. Progressive scan support is much more widely available in the gamecube library. A component switcher would work best though.

darscot

Why do they cheap on component inputs. Or maybe the better question is, why did I feel component switching wasn't worth the extra cost when I bought my amp? Neither my DVD player or HDTV Sat have the DVI. So that means I have Sat, DVD, GC, and XBOX and only two inputs. I normally don't run GC and XBOX withen weeks of each other but it's still a pain. Anyone know a good cheap (cheap not shitty) component splitter?

darscot

Wrong that he has a VCR at all? Why would you bother running a VCR on anything more then composite? I know the only thing my VCR ever plays is the same worn out kids movies over and over and over...

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
One question about the thread starter's television...

Futureshop says this tv doesn't have progressive scan...

does it or does it not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom