• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Grand WEGA 50" HD-Ready Rear-Projection LCD TV w/ DVI Input & 2-Tuner PIP...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miguel

No clue. :p

Manual says it supports 1080(insert letter), 720(insert letter) and 480(insert letter). That help any?

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
That's what I don't get... I think it's 720p (progressive)... but what's the difference between that and being able to display progressive scan? I'm clueless lol.

TheQueen'sOwn said:
That's what I don't get... I think it's 720p (progressive)... but what's the difference between that and being able to display progressive scan? I'm clueless lol.

480p and 720p are Progressive Scan modes. There is no difference. (between progressive and progressive scan)

Some TVs force upscanning (usually to a choice of 540p or 1080i), so I suppose there is a small chance it has to upscan to 1080i on everything, but that seems kinda doubtful for a Sony unit.

Everything seems to be working great with the new TV. I've even had time to do some reasonable calibration as well. Here are some pics:

new-tv1.jpg

new-tv2.jpg

new-tv3.jpg

new-tv4.jpg

new-tv5.jpg

EarthStormFire said:
I would rather have the new Samsung HLP5086 for the price of the Grand WEGA.

Pics of the new Samsung.

Image%5fProducts%2fsamsung%2fHLP5085.jpg

a) That Samsung is about $1000 more than the Sony Grand Wega
b) DLP still has the rainbow problem
c) DLP has potential motion sickness issues
d) I hate how you're stuck with that stand

Marty Chinn said:
a) That Samsung is about $1000 more than the Sony Grand Wega
b) DLP still has the rainbow problem
c) DLP has potential motion sickness issues
d) I hate how you're stuck with that stand

a) The samsung can be had for 3500 shipped, which is about the same price as the Grand WEGA.

b and c affect only a tiny minority of the people. The vast majority of people do not see rainbows and an even smaller number get sick from the TV.

LCD: You get dead pixels, with samsung DLP 1 stuck mirror = New TV if during warrenty period, you need many dead pixels before sony will do anything.

Blacks: The Blacks on the samsung is noticably better.

EarthStormFire said:
a) The samsung can be had for 3500 shipped, which is about the same price as the Grand WEGA.

b and c affect only a tiny minority of the people. The vast majority of people do not see rainbows and an even smaller number get sick from the TV.

LCD: You get dead pixels, with samsung DLP 1 stuck mirror = New TV if during warrenty period, you need many dead pixels before sony will do anything.

Blacks: The Blacks on the samsung is noticably better.

I got mine for $2500 shipped, again still a $1000 more than the Grand WEGA. I did see the rainbows a bit, and there's no way I wanted to risk spending that much money on a TV where my g/f could get sick from it. It just wasn't worth the risk. So far no dead pixels on my TV that I've noticed so far, which I'm greatful. The black level is a bit better on the DLP, but I wouldn't say it's a huge difference in quality. Trust me, I did my research on DLP and LCD Projection before I made my decision and the cons made it not a consideration. I spent like two months researching the TV, and the Sony Grand WEGA was the best purchase out of all those reasons.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
EarthStormFire said:
I would rather have the new Samsung HLP5086 for the price of the Grand WEGA.

Pics of the new Samsung.

Image%5fProducts%2fsamsung%2fHLP5085.jpg

the samsung is awesome.. i saw it in store and its colors are brilliant.. EDIT: actually, i saw a different Samsung tv.. dont remember which one it was, but the speakers were on the bottom.

my dad just bought a 60" Panasonic PT-60LCX63...

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webap...60LCX63&surfModel=PT-60LCX63&ignoreRedirect=1

pt-60lcx63.jpg

he got it for 2,000$ .. brand new. he's gonna try to sneak it in tomorrow morning. my mom is gonna have a fit, its going to be great! i just wish i was still living in florida so i could hook up my gaming systems to this badboy.

teepo

i have a samsung hlp6163 and their is no rainbows and no one has gotten motion sickness from watching the set.

teepo said:
i have a samsung hlp6163 and their is no rainbows and no one has gotten motion sickness from watching the set.

Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they don't exist. The rainbow issue is a widely known issue with DLP sets. Not everyone sees them. Be thankful that you can't. I know the motion sickness doesn't happen to most, but I sure as heck am not going to risk my g/f getting sick from watching TV when spending that kind of money.

Hari

Banned
Oh and if you are happy with your HD Display (Plasma, LCD, RPTV, etc, etc.) then that is all that matters. :)

SaitoH said:
Wow, do I ever see the rainbow effect.

=_=;;

EVERYBODY sees the rainbow effect in the video - it's a simulation.

You really do have to go see the different TV types in action. LCD has problems of its own; namely pixel failure and ghosting. I'm hearing good things about ghosting problems getting better, but if you're the type of person who runs your monitor at 85hz, you're definitely at risk and should be checking out the TV in store.

Crazymoogle said:
EVERYBODY sees the rainbow effect in the video - it's a simulation.

You really do have to go see the different TV types in action. LCD has problems of its own; namely pixel failure and ghosting. I'm hearing good things about ghosting problems getting better, but if you're the type of person who runs your monitor at 85hz, you're definitely at risk and should be checking out the TV in store.

Ghosting shouldn't be a problem on LCD Projection as most of the time your refresh rate won't be above 60 hz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom