• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony have done it. PlayStation 5 has had the Biggest Q1 for ANY console in HISTORY shipping 6.3 Million Units!

KungFucius

King Snowflake
A lot of people playing catch up now that you can get the device without paying a scalper premium.
Exactly, except for the scalper bit. This is just sales that should have happened over the 2 years of reduced supply leading up to it. Scalping has always been a small factor and really has nothing to do with this, but like this, it is just an artifact of supply being less than demand for 8 quarters.

I really hate when people highlight records that are caused by obvious things that will not repeat. Sony will probably have YoY declines next first quarter and some people will jump on that as if it means anything outside of the obvious lifting of a major constraint 5 quarters or so prior.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Impressive across the board, especially with the supply chain issues.
Huh? This is because Sony no longer has supply chain issues. PCs are in decline and that means capacity is available for components. How that is divvied up depends on who makes what orders. If Sony is able to sell this many consistently, I assume they can buy more wafer capacity without much issue with CPU/GPU declines.

The question here is how long does this boost last and when will we see a sales pattern that is no longer impacted by the supply constraints of 2020-2022? Another question is what is driving the decline on MS's side. They cite supply constraints. Were they unable to secure supply like Sony did? I could see that being a factor. TSMC may have initially had to take orders for the chips in Q1 systems in the early fall of last year and could have prioritized Sony over MS due to volume. Anecdotally I can buy a PS5 from Amazon and have it here by 6PM or get the GoW bundle for 10 bucks more by Sunday, but can only get a Forza bundle XSX for 560 delivered tomorrow. Similar situation with Best Buy. Non non bundle XSX's. So yes XSX's are harder to get, but that could just be because they would sell less anyway so TSMC (and other suppliers) prioritized Sony over them.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Lebron James Shop GIF by Uninterrupted

anthraticus

Banned
I will never understand people being happy or excited about a huge tech corp selling a shit tonne of consoles I mean its impressive but I couldn't give a rats ass how many consoles they sell
That's like the man focus of this site with all the bullshit confirmation bias that goes on here.. LOL

Last edited:

Woopah

Supply + great exclusive games + marketing deals with big multiplats is a recipe for success.

I thought they'd slip short of their target but they actually did better than it!

i mean...those look like niche numbers to me, niche numbers for a niche audience in a niche industry of dying plastic boxes.

now if you excuse me, i am going to be in my bedroom.

-in memoriam of Colt,Tim,Jezz and our B bluecowboys
Compared to mobile it is niche still. The AAA console scene is shrinking and only getting worse. If you can't see that I have nothing else to say. Apple and google makes way more money and more investments going towards mobile than ever before.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Sony killing it the old fashioned way. Meanwhile that other company is trying to sell you on the “value” of their subscription service. All people care about is games. And we will buy them.
I will never understand people being happy or excited about a huge tech corp selling a shit tonne of consoles I mean its impressive but I couldn't give a rats ass how many consoles they sell as long as they keep the games comin.

It's kind of embarrassing actually.
You both realize that the games won’t “keep coming” unless the consoles keep selling.. right?

That’s why we get excited about amazing sales..

Sales = more money = higher budgets and more games

zcaa0g

Banned
Sony killing it the old fashioned way. Meanwhile that other company is trying to sell you on the “value” of their subscription service. All people care about is games. And we will buy them.

You both realize that the games won’t “keep coming” unless the consoles keep selling.. right?

That’s why we get excited about amazing sales..

Sales = more money = higher budgets and more games

They do keep selling and will continue to sell for the foreseeable future because the market is there and shows no signs of slowing down, so there is nothing to be excited about.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Elder Scrolls VI in 2028 on PC.

And maybe a possible Kingdom Come sequel if Warhorse ever make one and ditch CryEngine for UE5.x.

They do keep selling and will continue to sell for the foreseeable future because the market is there and shows no signs of slowing down, so there is nothing to be excited about.
Thats not a given. Its not happening for Xbox. They are not meeting expectations.

And you missed the part where I said more sales = higher budgets for games.

Ev1L AuRoN

I will never understand people being happy or excited about a huge tech corp selling a shit tonne of consoles I mean its impressive but I couldn't give a rats ass how many consoles they sell as long as they keep the games comin.
Some of the fun in forums is to discuss the gaming industry. Sony success shows that the company strategy is resonating with the public. I'm happy with Sony success because I like their approach better, and seeing these numbers, I know I'll keep getting the value I want from my purchase.

MrA

As impressive as this quarter was the ps5 is still a few million units behind the ps4 at this point,
Everyone acting like this was a typical quarter all seem to have magically forgotten the 2-year shortage and last years relatively weak performance
Maybe the ps5 does have unusually high demand but I don't think it is much different than the ps4

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Well.....one tiny reason....

Look to Sega console fans for what happens when you dont sell consoles anymore. In a sense you're right, Sega still makes games. And when they left the home console business I didnt even know, I already moved on. All I wanted to know was when the next Sonic was coming out.

Hell, ask us Vita fans about what hardware sales means.

Zuzu

I think this might become the best console of all time when it's all said and done. Its combination of excellent hardware and accessories, top tier software, speed and convenience (similar to pre-HD era console gaming convenience) could be unsurpassed by the end of its life cycle.

Last edited:

TheTony316

Well.....one tiny reason....

Look to Sega console fans for what happens when you dont sell consoles anymore. In a sense you're right, Sega still makes games. And when they left the home console business I didnt even know, I already moved on. All I wanted to know was when the next Sonic was coming out.

Hell, ask us Vita fans about what hardware sales means.

It still hurts. That thing was way ahead of its time.

SkylineRKR

If supply constraints stay a thing of the past, this will surge past the PS4. It tracks much higher and its still full price.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
LOL, like it’s the merit of the current leadership. No, it isn’t, Jim Ryan and co are still riding the PS4 dreamteam waves. Still, it’s really impressive that without no nextgen games almost, it sells like that. I really hope with these numbers they finally start to leave lastgen behind…

You can't be serious!

Maybe it’s time for Ninja Theory and all other incompetent MS studios to stop jerking off and start releasing games, don’t you think ?

They just need to ensure they release games that people want to buy. Sony doesn't exactly pump out games at an extremely fast pace with maybe Insomniac as an exception.

Top Bottom