• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is offering Bungie employees a $1.2 billion incentive program in an effort to keep them at the company following the buyout.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Seems like keeping talent in the gaming industry is more important than ever.

I guess number of experience, talent workforce is very important for Sony.

Last edited:
my god this is embarassin
5 b for destiny? ...what drug Jimbo taking?

8LjmBoS.gif

Fbh

Bungie doesn't own a lot of IP and Sony made it clear this was about the talent and expertise working on live service games just as much (or more) than it was about Destiny.

So it makes sense to ensure that the talent actually stays. Otherwise you end up with a Bioware: beloved studio with a rich history and well liked IP's.......but no one left who can actually make something worthwhile with it.

Last edited:

daclynk

Emoji Thinking GIF

hmm whats Sony hiding...??? They have been know to know how to Control the narrative... Wow all of sadden live services and soon MTX are good looking at most responds from PSgaf. Lol

Last edited:

Fake

Explain how then.

Remember RARE? That company behind 007, Banjo, etc...

So, what are they doing now? Wonder why?

I already lost the counts about how many times I need to repeat, either neoGAF, twitter, resetera... Companies are just names... fucking names.

Without the people who made the company famouns to begin with, they're nothing.

Or you either let them leave from the company or do something about. This choise will affect the quality of future games.

Last edited:

Amiga

I already lost the counts about how many times I need to repeat, either neoGAF, twitter, resetera... Companies are just names... fucking names.

Or you either let them leave from the company or do something about. This choise will affect the quality of future games.
Depends on where the value is. If I buy Konami it's for the IP. I fire everybody.

Edgelord79

Gold Member

You are derailing the thread. That happened years ago. Microsoft would need a time machine to go back and change it. Besides Rare is doing just fine.

Go make a thread about that if you want to discuss that.

Fake

Depends on where the value is. If I buy Konami it's for the IP. I fire everybody.

Is a double edge sword, like this one. Lets see how this can be benefic or not. Again, Sony is sending a good amount of money.

You are derailing the thread. That happened years ago. Microsoft would need a time machine to go back and change it. Besides Rare is doing just fine.

Go make a thread about that if you want to discuss that.

Is on the same subject. If you don't want to discuss press the ignore button and move on.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
This is very standard. I deal with this regularly in my industry
Interesting. The terms of the deal are far from standard according to Hoeg Law. What do you see here that makes you think otherwise? Genuinely asking here.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Yeah, if you buy Kojima Productions, you'd have to have him sign pretty lengthy non-compete and structure his payments in a certain way that makes financial sense.

Kojima Productions is a good studio to look at, but I wouldn't pay through the nose for them at this point.
Kojima is almost 60 so even if you buy his studio you need to be confident in a post Kojima world for the studio

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
$1.2B retention bonus?

Google says Bungie has "900+ employees" Ok, let's round it off to 1,000 employees.

So Sony's bonus structure rewards the average Bungie employee who sticks around $1,200,000 each?

LOL. Doesn't sound like a lot of confidence that'd stay under normal conditions. So really Bungie is worth $2.4B but they tossed in an extra $1.2B. Makes sense as just about everyone thinks it's crazy for $3.6B straight up for a studio that just makes Destiny.

It's like buying a house whose market price is $240,000, but you tell the sellers you'll pay $360,000 if they promise not to mess up the house before you take ownership.

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
As it should be.

Without talent you have nothing

It’s far more important than the IP
I agree with this but why agree for them to be multiplatform developers moving forward? It sounds like multiplat is their strategy moving forward according to Jim Ryan which doesn't seem like Sony.

No, I believe it is not a standard practice. But it shows how important Bungie is for Sony.

so a third of that cost is just bribe money for them not to leave?

this deal sounds worse and worse the more we find out, looks like there's not much real asset that Sony got out of this deal

Damn poor little apple.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I agree with this but why agree for them to be multiplatform developers moving forward? It sounds like multiplat is their strategy moving forward according to Jim Ryan which doesn't seem like Sony.

They are a GaaS focused studio.

Being playable on as many platforms as possible is essential to community growth. Exclusivity makes zero sense. Sony is calling MS' bluff with this move.

Lognor

Banned
Interesting. The terms of the deal are far from standard according to Hoeg Law. What do you see here that makes you think otherwise? Genuinely asking here.
I wasn't speaking of specifics around the contract but the application of retention programs. They are being used very frequently now given high turnover everywhere.

Armorous

This is one of the worse times for finding talent in many skilled technology fields. It is easier to offer incentives for people to stay than to hire replacements.

Damn poor little apple.

Apple has HUGE bank account, even bigger than Microsoft's......Sony on the other hand doesn't have that unlimited fund

Last edited:

Reallink

This would be an incentive package of around 1.3 million US American dollars per employee, in addition to probably all of them owning a significant stake of the private shares Sony paid 2.4 billion for. If I worked for Sony's other studios (Naughty, Sucker, Santa, an especially Insomniac) I'd be holding an all hands on deck meeting and have everyone walking out the door by Monday unless they matched this offer.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
$1.2B retention bonus?

Google says Bungie has "900+ employees" Ok, let's round it off to 1,000 employees.

So Sony's bonus structure rewards the average Bungie employee who sticks around $1,200,000 each?

LOL. Doesn't sound like a lot of confidence that'd stay under normal conditions. So really Bungie is worth $2.4B but they tossed in an extra $1.2B.

It's like buying a house whose market price is $240,000, but you tell the sellers you'll pay $360,000 if they promise not to mess up the house before you take ownership.
It is a long term incentive plan.
It is not money on employees hands.

It can be courses, certifications, a better health plan, a retired plan, etc etc etc… and long terms means at least for the next 3 years.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I wasn't speaking of specifics around the contract but the application of retention programs. They are being used very frequently now given high turnover everywhere.
Oh yes. I agree especially now with it being an employee market. Retention programs are definitely becoming more common.

ethomaz

Banned
Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It is a long term incentive plan.
It is not money on employees hands.

It can be courses, certifications, a better health plan, a retired plan, etc etc etc… and long terms means at least for the next 3 years.

Most of it is two years as Sony is prepping for it. And sounds like payment to me. The employees just got to wait it out. Where does it say any of it is for health and retirement plans etc....? You really think 900 employees across $1.2B of incentive bonus (over $1.2M per employee on average) is going to get most of it in back end health and retirement plans? lol

Even though they might have to wait even 5 years for it, that's still $1.2M per employee to make them stick around.
Deferred payments are planned across multiple years following the buyout closure. The company is prepared to pay about $792 million in deferred incentive payments in the first two years after the deal ends.

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
Sony is offering Bungie employees a $1.2 billion incentive program in an effort to keep them at the company following the buyout.

Seems the actual cost they paid for Bungie itself was 2.4B
1.2 billion for the employees though?
How many people work at bungie?

Top Bottom