• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony launches the indie program again

and what a coincidence, as the next gen rolls around, Sony again magically loves indies. they have so tremendous love for indies the head of WWS is now going to be working with indie publishers. with a cute name, PS :messenger_heart: Indies lol.

let me guess? barely any exclusives in the first 2-3 years of the system again? 1-2 years of good games and the last two years are bad.

"its not that we don't have games, we just love indies so much we're focusing more on them than games you peeps buy consoles for traditionally, heres this indie game that its console version is broken and never gets updated while the PC version gets support and free DLC that never gets added to console stores"

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
and what a coincidence, as the next gen rolls around, Sony again magically loves indies. they have so tremendous love for indies the head of WWS is now going to be working with indie publishers. with a cute name, PS :messenger_heart: Indies lol.

let me guess? barely any exclusives in the first 2-3 years of the system again? 1-2 years of good games and the last two years are bad.

"its not that we don't have games, we just love indies so much we're focusing more on them than games you peeps buy consoles for traditionally, heres this indie game that its console version is broken and never gets updated while the PC version gets support and free DLC that never gets added to console stores"

Drunk posting is dangerous for yourself and others. :messenger_smirking:

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
It never stopped lol

A lot of indies were launched this year.
And what nonsense about 1-2 years with good games lol

Last edited:

ZombieTech

Neo Member
Never fully got the indie pandering. Don't get me wrong, there are a few really good indies here and there, but most are typically store-list fillers.

I also fully understand they make a great alternatives for when AAA releases are in a dry spell.

However, as a super old-school gamer, when I see big promotions of indie support... I feel like it'd be akin to PCs in the 90s advertising with, "now supporting ShareWare", lol. xD

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Your not wrong that sony focused on indies at the start of the gen, when there teams were busy making AAA's.

I'm guessing they like a lot if AAA's being at the end of a gen in order to maximise profits because the install base is at its highest.

Sosokrates

Never fully got the indie pandering. Don't get me wrong, there are a few really good indies here and there, but most are typically store-list fillers.

I also fully understand they make a great alternatives for when AAA releases are in a dry spell.

However, as a super old-school gamer, when I see big promotions of indie support... I feel like it'd be akin to PCs in the 90s advertising with, "now supporting ShareWare", lol. xD

Yeah, same here. Like who wants to play games that could work on a ps3 when you just got your shiny new next gen consoles.
I do like some indies, but the pandering about indies on this forum during the ps4s first year or so, was an embarrassment.

Ryu Kaiba

Your not wrong that sony focused on indies at the start of the gen, when there teams were busy making AAA's.

I'm guessing they like a lot if AAA's being at the end of a gen in order to maximise profits because the install base is at its highest.
More like they want indies at the beginning of a Gen to help them while publishers are staggering their releases and then kick them to the curb once they've found their footing.

I'll continue with indies on Switch tyvm.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

More like they want indies at the beginning of a Gen to help them while publishers are staggering their releases and then kick them to the curb once they've found their footing.

I'll continue with indies on Switch tyvm.
Yeah it's pretty insincere of sony to use indies as a calculated business ploy.
Support for indies should not fluctuate based on a companies business goals. I would Imagine there's been quite a bit of internal conflict on issues like this at Sony with a lot key people leaving.
It's going to be interesting to see how Sony handle things with Xbox in a far better state this upcoming gen.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I don't recall Sony being bad with indies. They got the same amount of attention that MS and Nintendo gave them.

Can't talk about Steam, GOG, or the Epic Game Store, because it's just... there. No advertising for PC games.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Let me guess.

Housemarque will be plugged like a AAA dev. But by around year 3, they (and every other indie) will be kicked to the curb.

Bakkus

I'm not even that big of a fan of Sony (it's the 3rd party Japanese stuff which makes me buy their consoles), but i'm getting really tired of these threads which reads like an old forum post on GT's 'General Gaming' or Gamespot's 'Console Wars'.

Ten_Fold

Takes time to make AAA titles, having really good indie and some exclusive indie titles is a smart move. I like the indie program.

Dargor

Imagine being a hater of something that is doing so well all the time. Must be mind boggling excruciating.

I tend to actually agree with the OP, Sony was all about the indie games on PS4 peddling them whenever and wherever they could during their 3 year drought. As soon as hit games started popping off left and right they stopped promoting them, stopping giving a shit and let them fall into obscurity.

This is actually good reason to be nervous, the first three years of the PS4's life weren't magical and they leaned on indies hard. Reports like this coming out, reports a few months back of games in development being canceled and the history specifically relating to these kind of games isn't historically good news.

Last edited:

Panaphonics

Banned
Right in time for PS5 launch. They did the same with ps4. For the first couple of years they didn’t have a single good game.

MS on the other hand has fucking HALO at launch.
They will destroy Sony so damn hard nextgen. It’s going to be a bloodbath.

Last edited:

Alx

The best way to support indies is to involve them in programs like PSN+/now. I almost never bought indie games at the beginning of the gen, because let's be honest, they often lack polish compared to larger productions. But I've started playing much more of them through gamepass or GwG.
At regular market price (talking 15-20€), the competition with "regular"games is too hard.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I dunno but I liked the indies more 8-10 years ago when they were sparse and few. It produced some of my all time faves like Limbo, Castle Crashers, Braid, and Hotline Miami. :p

I hope the upcoming Indies stand out and aren’t well... Metroidvania or Soulslike.

Truth be told i can count the number of indies (AKA games without a puplisher so games like Bloodstained don't count) that's really worth anybodys time :
1- Hollow Knight : not everybody's tea but the effort is evident that the developers cared to make a game worth the time and money of the consumer.
2- Shovel Knight: see above.
3- Blazing Chrome: a Contra game in everything but the name.
4- Blasphmous: 2D Dark Souls but good.
5-Stardew Valley : a great Harvest Moon clone.
6-James town + : Great SHMUP with Neogeo-esq graphics.
7- Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom: a great revival of an old classic.
The rest either fall for the RNG meme or lose sight of what made those 8 and 16 - bit games so good and replayable, they don't over stay their welcome.
Darkestdungeon was a good idea with a great art style and battle system that is unfortunutelly too in love with it's grind that it loses the sight of what's important, FUN!
I await the day the RNG fad goes away and good design becomes the norm again.

Last edited:

Adam Boyes left Sony just 3 years after launch, i'm sure Shu will stay on that position much, much longer

ROMhack

OP has a point though. At the reveal of the PS4 there was a lot of coverage of Indie games, later on they seem to not give a fuck anymore in their presentations..

It's a fair point. Sony was really in favour of indie games for ages and then suddenly stopped caring after the release of What Remains of Edith Finch. I suspect they found many of their AAA games were better received so lost interest.

By contrast, Nintendo has definitely been more supportive of indie games. I think most developers agree too — Axiom Verge 2 developer Tom Happ recently said he thought the Switch is the best home for his game.

Edit: Not meaning to console war. Don't care about that.

Last edited:

yurinka

Both PSP, Vita, PS3 and PS4 had a great libreary of indie games specially when compared to the competition. Considering this and PS4 sales, I'm 100% sure it will be the case of PS5 too. Hell, they just even created a team for it and put Shu Yoshida on charge of it.

In addition to BC Death Stranding, Dreams, TLOU2 or Ghost of Tsushima, during the first years if not the first seems they will have in PS Horizon Zero Dawn 2, Spiderman 2, God of War 2, something from Sony Japan and (as I remember one of these PS5 devkits photos mentioned in its small screen) Demon's Souls remake, likely from Blupoint.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
OP so many indie games have released and are releasing on PS4, even exclusive indies...….What's this all about? There are so many indie games on the PSN store, it's insane......Sometimes I ask, who is playing all of this and giving feedback as to the real gems in there anymore...…..Perhaps you should dedicate sometime to doing just that, play all the indies on the PSN and recommend the best ones...…..I'll play what you recommend......

Fbh

I don't see how this is bad. Makes sense going into a new gen.
Indies aren't entitled to being supported by Sony and Sony isn't entitled to get indies to support their new console. Seems like a mutually beneficial deal that will probably result in some fun games .

What a bunch of nonsense. Clearly trying to start a console war argument here.

Too bad you couldn't put together a coherent thought in the process.
It's not even console war.
Read any other thread by OP... he just hates consoles, sees being able to play the vast majority of games on your platform of choice as a bad thing, and misses the times when you need to own 2-3 consoles and a gaming capable PC to have access to most big releases

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Do you get a bi-weekly paycheck from either Nintendo or Microsoft? Because it'll be a shame if you are doing this for free. Even prostitutes get paid to whore themselves out.

ethomaz

Banned
BTW going a little off the topic.

Like I said in Switch threads the best time to Indie Devs sells well is at first years of a new console... so they should really take advantage of PS5 next-gen before the heavy tittles start to drop.

That strategy worked for PS4 and Switch with Indies games selling 1m+ something that doesn't happens after the console build its library thought the years.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
imagine taking criticisms to a company personally and seriously.

Imagine trolling like you get paid for it. Even with some good news, your predictable self is on the spin.

Maybe MS lifted their indie clause, or Sony wants to combat it. Where are your threads marching in lockstep to indie's who voiced concerns before about said clause?

Last edited:

xool

Maybe MS lifted their indie clause, or Sony wants to combat it. Where are your threads marching in lockstep to indie's who voiced concerns before about said clause?
[News Update] The indie parity clause was dropped in 2015.. Is this it?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Was it? Do you have a link? Could have sworn they said there was none, but Indies claimed otherwise still after that date, and it went back into the "mixed messages" memory hole.

I remember somebody trying to say that but the reality was different.

That is what I remember, thank you.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Why does MS still think they have the clout to have this parity clause at all?

Top Bottom