• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Patents To Prevent You From In-Game Harassment By Reading Your Emotions

The-Sony-PlayStation-Brand-Is-Behind-Some-Of-The-Most-Popular-Gaming-Franchises-Image-Source-DeviantArt.jpg

Sony has now published yet another unique legal document that wants to tackle in-game harassment by detecting the emotions of players. The proposed system will allegedly use biometric info—recorded in real-time—to figure out the current emotions of a user for auto-detecting harassment cases.

The patent dubbed “HARASSMENT DETECTION APPARATUS AND METHOD” will actively record the in-game emotional data of users to see how they behave with each other. Sony could detect when a player is harassed due to their rising heartbeat and other similar emotional changes. The publisher would use that info to take appropriate action and quell the issue without making the victim go through manual steps.

Harassment detection in this manner (that is, identifying a victim of harassment first as opposed to identifying a harasser first) is advantageous in that the number of false positive detections of harassment incidents may be reduced,” reads the patent.
The figure shows an abstract diagram of the proposed harassment detection system | Image Source: Patentscope

The figure shows an abstract diagram of the proposed harassment detection system | Image Source: Patentscope

As per the patent, Sony would relocate the victim in the game to be away from the harasser or vice versa. Additionally, it would also cut off communication between both parties to protect the victim from further harassment. We can expect the publisher to punish the perpetrator by banning them entirely.

The patent argues that the current protocols to deal with in-game harassment are lacking. Right now, the widely used method requires the victim to report the incident(s) to a moderator. However, many often don’t bother reporting the perpetrators. Therefore, they might continue harassing other players and feel more comfortable due to the lack of repercussions. So, auto-detecting harassment may also quell this issue.

There is a need in the art for a harassment detection techniques that do not require the victim to report the harassment they are experiencing, which should thereby decrease the proportion of harassment incidents that never get reported and also improve the well-being and safety of users participating in shared environments.”

The image shows the emotion chart and a harassment detection method | Image Source: Patentscope

The image shows the emotion chart and a harassment detection method | Image Source: Patentscope

Source - Exputer

T4keD0wN

Put this system to red dead redemption 2 and were talking.
Micah hurt my feelings.

Last edited:

violence

Schwarzenegger said the only way to get stronger is resistance and that’s it.

Last edited:

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Have to hand it to Sony R&D. Those guys dream up some truly hilarious things to patent.

As per the patent, Sony would relocate the victim in the game to be away from the harasser or vice versa.
About to be pinched by the opposing team because I made a dumb push? Just act all sad and shit and the game will teleport me back to my spawn :messenger_tears_of_joy:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Sony just filed another patent. Not sure if it should be in its own thread, but it seems to be related to this patent, so here it is:

Several patents have been filed by Sony in the past couple of weeks which revolve around a player's mood. A player's mood would be tracked using real-time biometric feedback, and in certain situations a player's gaming experience could be altered to ease their discomfort. For instance, a player who becomes agitated when dying to a boss could find that their game difficulty is automatically reduced. In another patent filed earlier today, Sony would be able to separate players in-game and mute communications between the two players if one player becomes angry with another player.

Earlier today Sony filed a patent that makes the other two look almost tame by comparison. According to this patent, when a developer or publisher bans a user in-game, they can request that Sony issue a console ban for any device the player committed an offense on, as well as banning the users PSN account on a pseudo-permanent basis. The only way a user would be able to have this ban lifted would be after meeting certain criteria which Sony has outlined in the patent.

For anyone unfamiliar, a console ban means the entire console, a PlayStation 5 for example, would be unable to be used by any user. Console bans are not unheard of, but in the past they have usually been the result of improper modifications to the console that allowed cheating and piracy. In contrast to a console ban, a PSN account ban means that the player would no longer have access to the PlayStation Network. This means they would lose access to any PSN, including content that the player has paid for. Either of these bans would be a tough pill for most people to swallow, but both of these bans in conjunction would be devastating.

As previously mentioned, though, there is a silver lining. Bans issued in this manor at a developer or publisher request would have a very different review process than standard console or PSN account bans that Sony doles out on their own. In fact, the player would only have to complete one action to have the console and/or PSN account ban reversed. They merely have to suck 100 dongs. At the same time.

Source: MahRear

This is so weird... But It's not surprising coming from Sony...

My heart rate increases and get uncomfortable when I get responses to a comment I made or whatever, and when I used to play Online, it would also happen when people addressed me in some way. I don't feel harassed, is just my general discomfort with possible confrontation or debate.

What I'm getting at, is how do you know exactly what the person is feeling? "Auto-detecting harassment", when you aren't even sure?

Also, they need to define what harassment is.

Humdinger

That sounds ridiculous. First, it's just reading superficial biometrics like heartbeat. Those can mean anything. Second, it's designating a response as indicating harrassment. This is more modern reframing -- "If I feel upset, that is evidence you have done something wrong." Please. It's evidence that you're upset, that's all. And third, the mechanism is doing it by itself. It doesn't even require the input of the user. No one actually has to file a complaint. The machine does it by itself. Auto-Karen.

Pelao

The publisher would use that info to take appropriate action and quell the issue without making the victim go through manual steps.
Yeah, because all these stupid automated systems that corporations insist on implementing have always worked flawlessly and don't constantly make judgment errors.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I have a hard time imagining this being compliant with GDPR regulations, especially in the EU.
Also just because someone is upset or angry due to loosing, it doesn’t mean they are going to “harass” someone.

Additionally, i hate how much of a meaningless trend word “harassment” has become. It is now a blanket term for simply disagreeing with or even talking to someone in some cases, up to simple one-time insults, omitting the continuous nature of the actual definition, and is now often solely the opinion of the “victim”.

Last edited:

GHound

I know a solid 95% of these patents don't get used but the fact that someone actually put the time into coming up with this is hilarious.
In a hypothetical reality where Phil gets his dream of a global ban list and Sony actually utilizes this patent for their systems there won't be anyone left to pay for their subscription services inside of two weeks because everyone's been banned from all platforms.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
The-Sony-PlayStation-Brand-Is-Behind-Some-Of-The-Most-Popular-Gaming-Franchises-Image-Source-DeviantArt.jpg

Sony has now published yet another unique legal document that wants to tackle in-game harassment by detecting the emotions of players. The proposed system will allegedly use biometric info—recorded in real-time—to figure out the current emotions of a user for auto-detecting harassment cases.

The patent dubbed “HARASSMENT DETECTION APPARATUS AND METHOD” will actively record the in-game emotional data of users to see how they behave with each other. Sony could detect when a player is harassed due to their rising heartbeat and other similar emotional changes. The publisher would use that info to take appropriate action and quell the issue without making the victim go through manual steps.

As per the patent, Sony would relocate the victim in the game to be away from the harasser or vice versa. Additionally, it would also cut off communication between both parties to protect the victim from further harassment. We can expect the publisher to punish the perpetrator by banning them entirely.

The patent argues that the current protocols to deal with in-game harassment are lacking. Right now, the widely used method requires the victim to report the incident(s) to a moderator. However, many often don’t bother reporting the perpetrators. Therefore, they might continue harassing other players and feel more comfortable due to the lack of repercussions. So, auto-detecting harassment may also quell this issue.

Source - Exputer
Why gaming is declining ? more news at eleven.

Fucking millenials pussy culture. Its amazing what this western fear monger/woke/lefty bubble has done and is doing to the entertainment business.

nosoynadie22

Gold Member
Soon you will be able to detect if you have fear or anxiety and will provide emotional support and psychological treatment.

In the future, no one will understand your feelings better than the PS6

FeralEcho

Soyny strikes again...

Who hurt little soyny chans feelings?
Excited Wake Up GIF by Nickelodeon

I swear these idiots patent the dumbest shit...

Maybe patent yourself some balls while your at it since you are so full of soy you desperately need some in the face of such adversity like....words...

FeralEcho

Soon you will be able to detect if you have fear or anxiety and will provide emotional support and psychological treatment.

In the future, no one will understand your feelings better than the PS6
Before they can provide emotional support they should first at least act like they try to provide the minimal amount of customer support since they fail even at that 😂 Maybe they first need to patent it though

I have a hard time imagining this being compliant with GDPR regulations, especially in the EU.
Also just because someone is upset or angry due to loosing, it doesn’t mean they are going to “harass” someone.

Additionally, i hate how much of a meaningless trend word “harassment” has become. It is now a blanket term for simply disagreeing with or even talking to someone in some cases, up to simple one-time insults, omitting the continuous nature of the actual definition, and is now often solely the opinion of the “victim”.

You are scratching the surface of what this crap is about.

All these automated systems have the only purpose of restricting your freedom and making you guilty of things you didn't even mean.

Fuck the people involved in this. Toss them into a pit full of spiders.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Behavior pattern analysis while gaming and "emotion reading" features, surely it won't be used for political means, right? .... Right?

Top Bottom