• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony rebooting I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/i-know-what-you-did-732993?facebook_20140915

Sony will reboot the teen horror franchise I Know What You Did Last Summer with Oculus' Mike Flanagan writing the script, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.
He and co-writer Jeff Howard, with whom Flanagan wrote Oculus, will take a new stab at the 1997 slasher film in which four friends are hunted by a murderer after they cover up an accident in which someone was killed.

Sony-based Neal Moritz (22 Jump Street) will produce through his Original Film banner. Moritz produced the original version, which starred Jennifer Love Hewitt, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Ryan Phillippe and Freddie Prinze Jr and was scripted by The Following creator, Kevin Williamson. It grossed $125 million and launched a sequel the following year, which Moritz also produced.

The films are based on the 1973 young-adult suspense novel by Lois Duncan, whose book Down a Dark Hall is currently in development at Lionsgate.

You just know what somebody in the meeting to get this reboot going must have yelled.
3P4DOxc.jpg

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
"we need a big titted teen for a reboot!"

Such an easy first post layup and you threw the ball into the stands.

Let's see if this one is closer to the novel
which is not a Scream rip-off or Giallo, just a suspense novel with hardly any deaths

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Let's see if this one is closer to the novel
which is not a Scream rip-off or Giallo, just a suspense novel with hardly any deaths

Yeah the association with Scream is purely correlary. Same writer (and Williamson did a good job on IKWYDLS) and time period, but the book existed long before, and it's a "straight" horror film. Williamson later did Teaching (Killing) Mrs Tingle by the same author of IKWYDLS.

I hope it's a reboot rather than a remake. The original is a classic of 90's horror

I don't know...

On the other hand, horror movies for the most part have been pretty stale these days, so I guess it's cool?

EulaCapra

Not sure how I feel about this. They can use the name, but I hope they don't just rehash the plot and setting and characters.

Sarah Michelle Gellar's long ass chase was brutal yet so good. And Brandy jumping off a roof and crashing into a greenhouse lol.

Not sure how I feel about this. They can use the name, but I hope they don't just rehash the plot and setting and characters.

Sarah Michelle Gellar's long ass chase was brutal yet so good. And Brandy jumping off a roof and crashing into a greenhouse lol.

Brandy was in the sequel right?

I know what you did last summer will always be the poor mans Scream, and I didn't even really like Scream 3 or 4. The first two are still alright though. The third movie in the 'I Know What You Did" series was straight to video hillaribad and had one greatest twist endings ever. It was so random, that I don't think anyone could have seen it coming.

But If you are going to remake a series, might as well take a mediocre one an try to make it better.

Was never a fan of that post-Scream/late 90s-00s "CW horror"(where stars from Party of Five, Buffy and such were casted to appeal to kids who loved those shows). That being said, bring on the reboot, as long as it goes for an new take on the material. Don't feel obliged in trying to capture the late 90s feel(it's not the late 90s anymore and that kinda of CW horror" isn't in style anymore).

And yeah, I'd be up for a more "true to the novel" take. It would definitely be different than the J. Love Hewitt flick!

zeemumu

Rebooting series that rely on twists doesn't seem like a good idea. Even if you change it, we're all going to be expecting it.

I saw this movie in theaters while visiting my eventual alma mater my senior year in HS. No Hollywood, this is too soon.

SMG dies in both, seems unlikely.

Doesn't mean a thing, look at Raid 1/2 or the Kevin Smith films.

Did anyone see part 3? The twist at the end to explain the killer's amazing ability to be multiple places at once was
he was a g-g-g-ghost!

I know what you did last summer
I still know what you did last summer
I'll always know what you did last summer

.....I remembered what you did last summer?

george_us

I was about to ask why they're rebooting something so recent...until I realized the first two came out almost 20 years ago. Damn I feel old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom