• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SONY will buy SNK ?!!

ToadMan

EDIT: Ah so this is actually about Leyou.

I had no idea SNK was part of that group these days.
Anyway this is a repeat of another thread ....

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
This is a pretty ignorant and sensationalist take.

Even if Sony were to purchase Leyou, there is absolutely no indication that SNK would become part of Worldwide Studios or produce games exclusively for PlayStation.

Sony Interactive Entertainment is administered separately from Sony. What Sony owns isn't owned by Sony Interactive Entertainment.

Sony Corp. MAY (if Bloomberg's info are correct, which they often aren't like much of this rumormongering from completely anonymous sources. Remember all the drumming on the Switch Pro?) be bidding on Leyou, but it isn't Sony Interactive Entertainment purchasing SNK.

Sony owns Unties, which publishes games on Switch and other platforms and doesn't have any relationship with Sony Interactive Entertainment.

Sony owns Aniplex which owns Fate/Grand Order, yet PlayStation isn't getting an exclusive FateGO (which would likely be a very smart thing to have to push PlayStation in Japan).

People who don't know how this stuff works tend to identify Sony with Sony Interactive Entertainment. That's not how it works.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
They are like a pinball bouncing around, the switch to 3D didn't do them well.
Actually they couldn't handle the change to 3D would be more appropriate, don't know what the owner did with all the money they made.
Sold to some Chinese company for cheap about 3-4? years ago and now potentially for sale again, I rather Arc Sys Works buy them TBH.

what will sony do with SNK SNK in the last few years has made KOF,Samurai showdown and a few metal slug games. All of which sony showed 0 interested in promoting or having any sort of exclusive deal with since all the way back to the OG xbox days And 2nd there just going to censored the game into the ground especially since Mai,kula and yuri arent PC.

Even if Sony were to purchase Leyou, there is absolutely no indication that SNK would become part of Worldwide Studios or produce games exclusively for PlayStation.

Sony Interactive Entertainment is administered separately from Sony. What Sony owns isn't owned by Sony Interactive Entertainment.

Sony Corp. MAY (if Bloomberg's info are correct, which they often aren't like much of this rumormongering from completely anonymous sources. Remember all the drumming on the Switch Pro?) be bidding on Leyou, but it isn't Sony Interactive Entertainment purchasing SNK.

Sony owns Unties, which publishes games on Switch and other platforms and doesn't have any relationship with Sony Interactive Entertainment.

Sony owns Aniplex which owns Fate/Grand Order, yet PlayStation isn't getting an exclusive FateGO (which would likely be a very smart thing to have to push PlayStation in Japan).

People who don't know how this stuff works tend to identify Sony with Sony Interactive Entertainment. That's not how it works.
We should of got the Fate GO arcade game its look SICK

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
PlayStation 5 numéro uno in Mexico then.
Voy a jugar con mi Rugal y mi Iori 😆😆.

Rugal and Iori.. The most wanted characters ever in mexico!

Mai the waifu of México.... Mine is Athena... More. With outfit 97

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
after new KOF
and that 3d metal slug sheit

i honestly don’t care it’s like RARE just a name EH

brap

Banned
Not familiar with One Piece but DMC V was a mistake made by Capcom that they later resolved.
Lj5ChTr.jpg

Sony is inconsistent though. Gal Gun is filled with half naked anime toddler girls and yet it still goes uncensored.

mcjmetroid

Why would they bother?

Nothing against SNK who always make solid games but it sounds like a lose lose situation. SNK fans won't like this and normal PlayStation fans won't care.

I know SNK are a bigger name in Japan but as far as I know SNK release all their games on PS4 anyway as well as other consoles. Unless it's a gateway into the Arcade business but I don't think so.

I doubt it's true.

Bryank75

Banned
Just one billion more, they could buy Zenimax..... Doom, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Wolfenstein and Shinji Mikami!

But I guess they have to be willing to sell.

Anyway, I think 1.3 B is a bit steep for such small IP's and studios.

They are like a pinball bouncing around, the switch to 3D didn't do them well.
Actually they couldn't handle the change to 3D would be more appropriate, don't know what the owner did with all the money they made.
Sold to some Chinese company for cheap about 3-4? years ago and now potentially for sale again, I rather Arc Sys Works buy them TBH.
Arc sys would give snk a case of the weebs and virgin stink. Thanks. I hate it.

Lunk

If that happened i would be PISSED. Not a fan of SNK dealing with the chinese asking them to handle their IP like MCU (although they ARE the perfect candidate with their character library!) but SNK is one of the only AAA developers who are willing to outright over-sexify their entire game to the point where people will be embarrassed to look at it, and I super enjoy the sexiness of the King of Fighters cast. Sony owning it would just turn SNK into any other Fighting Game studio putting heavy shirts over women and flattening their breasts and getting rid of daring wardrobe choices. I played that SNK Heroines game on Switch and it's about fetishising women, and yet... I don't have a problem with it. So fuck off Sony.

In my opinion, SNK's characters are more iconic than Sony's, and I can see how they can utilize SNK characters and worlds for a portfolio of games across different genres ranging from fighters, to action RPGs, to third-person Last of Us action adventure games. :)

I wouldn't mind this purchase since I am a Sony fanboy.
Sony can also buy Sega and then merge with Nintendo and Capcom. lol

Right. Here's all these SNK Iconic Playstation Mascots in PlayStation AllStar Battle Royale 2.

...That's not gonna work lol.
I wasnt talking about the "iconic" characters of King of Fighters. I was thinking more about using the studio that makes KoF to make a brawl/arms game. But now that I’ve read more about this. This has to do with the possible Leyou purchase. I dont think Sony has any interest in SNK. Sony probably just sell off any stake in SNK. Your tits are safe.

Great Hair

Banned

(made up by me, but 2021 might be the start of a new SONY, all combined?)

Banned
but... but why?
SNK is only really still relevant within the absolute hardcore circles, and even for core gamers they are niche. I mean, how much did the new Samurai Shodown sell? or the SNK Mini?

they also have no real IPs that would lend themselves to mass audience AAA blockbusters. they have like 2000 different fighting game IPs and some extreme sports games... and a handful of sidescrollers.
also, if it's true, say bye bye to all the sexy characters... no place for that inside the new mainly US based Woke Sony

Last edited:

FranXico

Come on people, Sony couldn't even buy Housemarque or Bluepoint, and you're all fantasizing about such big buys?

Last edited:

Lunk

I wasnt talking about the "iconic" characters of King of Fighters. I was thinking more about using the studio that makes KoF to make a brawl/arms game. But now that I’ve read more about this. This has to do with the possible Leyou purchase. I dont think Sony has any interest in SNK. Sony probably just sell off any stake in SNK. Your tits are safe.
Again, fuck no. Fuck off, Sony. Garbage company when it comes to IP management IMO.

Top Bottom