• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Realistically, whose more likely to buy Square Enix?

Who?

• Microsoft

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • Sony

Votes: 60 55.6%
  • Nintendo

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Tencent!?

Votes: 12 11.1%
  • None

Votes: 22 20.4%

• Total voters

KàIRóS

Apparently both Sony and Microsoft at some point were interested in buying them, Nintendo doesn't really seem to care, but it's also clear that they've bought exclusivity for some of their games (Triangle Strategy comes to mind) same as Sony.

There's also Tencent but I don't really know how much they would be interested in buying SE.

Are they even a good deal all things considered?

graywolf323

you should make a poll for this sorta question OP

preferably no one would buy them but I‘d imagine Sony is most likely of the listed because they’ve been making exclusivity deals for SE’s biggest IP

Larxia

I’d prefer they stay independent. But my preference otherwise would be anyone except MS.
But at least when Microsoft bought activision they put Tony Hawk on steam, so they would probably do the same with Kingdom Hearts which is still stuck on EGS, like tony hawk was.

Not that I want Square Enix to be bought, I just think they always make the weirdest / most terrible decisions all the time.

graywolf323

But at least when Microsoft bought activision they put Tony Hawk on steam, so they would probably do the same with Kingdom Hearts which is still stuck on EGS, like tony hawk was.

Not that I want Square Enix to be bought, I just think they always make the weirdest / most terrible decisions all the time.
Tony Hawk went up on Steam before the ABK acquisition closed, Microsoft had nothing to do with that…

Larxia

Tony Hawk went up on Steam before the ABK acquisition closed, Microsoft had nothing to do with that…
It 100% has to be related, the game was exclusive to epic for more than 3 years, and in the same month Microsoft acquire activision, the game arrives to steam.

graywolf323

It 100% has to be related, the game was exclusive to epic for more than 3 years, and in the same month Microsoft acquire activision, the game arrives to steam.
it released 3 years and 1 month to the date of when it came out on Epic, more likely they had a much longer exclusivity window, it’s entirely possible we’ll see Kingdom Hearts release on Steam in April if it ends up being similar

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Should stay 3rd party. AA releases are usually great. AAA games are hit or miss. They tend to miss more then they hit. They honestly should abandon Sony. Don't think exclusivity is doing all that much for them other then piss gamers off.

Spyxos

Shouldn't it be Sony, since the others are from abroad? And the best thing would be no sale at all.

Little Mac

Isn't there some Japanese government policy, or unwritten rule, that prohibits foreign entities from purchasing Japanese companies?

Regardless ... for the sake of conversation (according to google).

Square Enix Holdings net worth as of November 17, 2023 is $4B.
Nintendo net worth as of November 15, 2023 is $61B.
Sony Group has a market cap or net worth of $108B.
Microsoft has a market cap or net worth of $2,780B.

Personally, I'd love it to be Nintendo.

Last edited:
It's a pretty silly question really. Square have already shown they don't want to be bought. But if they had to go somewhere, they found success on Nintendo but they became titans with Sony.

Zathalus

I wouldn't buy them. The appeal of FF is not what it once was. Plus the output they have had recently has been all over the place. Rather try and buy a good Japanese studio like Atlus, From, or Capcom.

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
None. They are barely profitable releasing on multiple platforms, no-one will want to buy them to release exclusively on one or two. Not in their current state anyway.

Dis

None

We need Fromsoft to fuse with Square Enix.

Their new name and logo should be

ZYvLnee.png

And bring back AAA turn based.

El Muerto

Sony should buy them so they can have a Japanese studio again (dumb move closing down SCEJ). Microsoft should snatch them up to gain dominance in the Japanese market.
rcDmcqY.jpg

Ozzie666

I would think Sony would fight tooth and nail for them, if given the chance. But honestly, Square could be better off focusing on lesser powered systems like the Switch. More 2DHD games, simpler RPGS and tactic type games. Not worry so much about cutting edge graphics, focus on story, characrers and mechanics. Try to recapture that SNES era of Square. Much as I loved the PS1 era.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Sony should buy them so they can have a Japanese studio again (dumb move closing down SCEJ). Microsoft should snatch them up to gain dominance in the Japanese market.
No, the way they treat their Japanese studio and this gen it seems they care faaaar more about western games, I honestly rather not.

For me this gen Sony's first party is lost cause.

Last edited:
Top Bottom