• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sooo, What's The Point Of Sony's Project Q?

It's a device that has an extremely, extremely, tiny, niche, appeal.

I don't think I've ever seen a piece of hardware that has made me ask "who the hell is this for?" quite like Project Q has.

So you think sony just decided f it lets just make this thing, who knows someone is gonna buy it. Like you dont think that they know how many people use remote play and based their decision off that?

ToTTenTranz

Banned
except that the Wii U had very low input lag, while Sony's remote play is known for massive amounts of lag.
IIRC remote play's inout lag depends on the wireless connection you're using whereas the WiiU uses peer to peer wifi.

I'd guess if you use P2P on the Q the result will be better than shitty home wifi setups.

Regardless, the accessory isn't even out yet but youre already assuming a bunch of stuff. 🤷‍♂️

Banned
IIRC remote play's inout lag depends on the wireless connection you're using whereas the WiiU uses peer to peer wifi.

I'd guess if you use P2P on the Q the result will be better than shitty home wifi setups.

Regardless, the accessory isn't even out yet but youre already assuming a bunch of stuff. 🤷‍♂️

well remote play on PS5 doesn't allow p2p at the moment.
and so far Sony hasn't in any way alluded to it being revised for Project Q.

until they announce a drastic change in how remote play functions, I'll assume it will be just as shit as it currently is.

also test on a wired connection showed that the input lag of Sony's remote play is just as bad fully wired as it is over wifi.

also the Wii U used 2.4ghz which is better for range and consistency, while Sony's remote play basically necessitates 5ghz which is of course faster but more easily blocked by basically anything.

cireza

It's the same point.
Not really. The Wii U Gamepad was not about simply streaming to the screen. A large number of games implemented gameplay on both screen and touch screen features. It was actually great in many games. There was even asymmetrical gameplay in some Nintendoland games and it was super fun.

HTK

Banned
I was thinking about this device and if priced right I might pick it up. Simply to enjoy a good single player experience from bed or other more comfortable positions.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
So you think sony just decided f it lets just make this thing, who knows someone is gonna buy it. Like you dont think that they know how many people use remote play and based their decision off that?

I mean, it’s not like Sony doesn’t have a history of underselling niche products. See Vita, PSVR2, etc..

VillageBC

This is targeted at me, who want to play from around the house while the TV is occupied. I'll probably wait until I can pick up one used from someone who's got shit wifi at home and thinks it's the devices fault.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Project Q feels helpless, with switch you can insert a game. If project Q 2 happens it could change the direction of portable gaming.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Not many people are talking about latency. Isn’t that an issue here regardless of your connection quality?

This has to be from the same guys who thought the ps tv was a good idea (which it would have been if it had been able to play all vital games). Lackluster 😑

Sorcerer

One would think the device would at least be a method of getting subs to PS plus for those who don't have a Playstation, but it doesn't do that does it? No cloud? It could at least serve dual purposes.
Yet another Sony product that is going to be sent out to die within two months of launch.

Last edited:

Unknown?

One would think the device would at least be a method of getting subs to PS plus for those who don't have a Playstation, but it doesn't do that does it? No cloud? It could at least serve dual purposes.
Yet another Sony product that is going to be sent out to die within two months of launch.
Hmmm well since it has WiFi there's really no reason to not allow it to stream games via PS Plus.

MayauMiao

Looks like a very niche product. Can't understand why one would play on such a small screen for a console that emphasizes on delivering 4K experience gaming.

Should be called Project U instead.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
This idea is stupid, why should I buy this thing, if I have a PS5 and several televisions at home, it is not that in any house they only have one television

Kataploom

Gold Member
Jim Ryan is just a businessman, he doesn't know what an gaming device actually looks appealing to average gamer unless he reads some data or see some market trend (which can be actually "sellers wishes" ala VR, since nobody asked a cloud exclusive console).

He just wanted some "Switch competitor" which will barely sell more than Steam Deck and I'm being optimistic.

Probably someone else above him asked for that and he's just providing whatever in order to get rid of that asap.

BlackTron

Sony could have introduced a portable PS4 that behaves like Switch and also streams PS5 games from the console like Vita did, and move mountains.

But instead they put out a device with a VERY specific use case and moved a molehill.

Perrott

Gold Member
The point is that it allows you to take advantage of the remote play feature of the Vita, but in an even better way as the Project Q actually has triggers, as well as the full set of DualSense features (haptics, adaptive triggers, etc).

Basically an accessory for playing Persona 6 while laying on your bed.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So turns out this gadget is strictly for home use? When it was first promoted, they didn't say if this was a mobile streaming system on the go, or if only from your own PS5 at home.

Well, comes down to how much a gamer or family wants to game on their bed or couch instead of playing on the TV.

I dont see this taking off at all. A typical PS5 gamer will likely want to play games on their 4k TV with quality sound from their audio system. Not dumb it down to playing on a sofa two rooms away.

CLW

What I don’t get is how this is an improvement from say an iPhone (nearly everyone has a smartphone) and the backbone one?

Living in Japan, I think the device makes kind of sense in Japan, where many people live with the whole family in a smaller apartment or house wheee not every child / person has his/her own room with a tv. So when the whole family needs to share a room it makes sense.

Now as for me, I am also living with my 2 children and wife in an apartment with 1 tv, but I have anyway only time to play when they are sleeping, so it’s not for me.

Actually I was quite interested when I first heard about it, thinking perhaps I can use tethering to connect it via wifi to my phone so I could play during lunch break at the office, but then I heard it has to be in the same network as the PS5, which means it will not work that way…

Gamerguy84

What I don’t get is how this is an improvement from say an iPhone (nearly everyone has a smartphone) and the backbone one?

Well I have used remote play several times in my home. Most of the time from one PS5 to another PS5 considering they are 4 floors apart.

A phone is too small for most games and a tablet is just a touch to bulky not to mention you have to pair a DS to said phone for proper controls. Then you have to pair it back to the PS5 to use it again on console.

Remote play works great in my home as I have wifi6 and my PS5s are hardwired. I'm an ideal candidate for this and like the idea of an 8 inch screen with proper controls in the same package.

Unknown?

Backbone is nice but not as good as a dualsense. Also using your phone will drain it fast and annoying if you need to do other stuff on it while gaming.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Oh good idea! Now spend all the hassle moving the PS5 back and forth to different TVs!
Or you know, the person not using the PS5 can watch whatever they want on another TV. I don't know. I don't feel like it's a huge issue. Is there anybody who really battles with this problem all the time? And if you battle the problem all the time then you should probably come up with a long-term solution.

When I had a roommate we had a main television and sometimes he wanted to watch a movie and I wanted to play a game... that did happen but I just went into my bedroom and played my games there. And yeah I did sometimes move a console. I don't know what type of hassle you think that is.... It didn't really bother me. I have extra HDMI, cords and power cables etc. It literally wasn't much work. And to be fair this may be happened like 5 times over the course of 5 years.

But hey if this somehow appeals to you and it being $200 to $300 isn't a problem then fine. I personally think that is a very small market.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Not really. The Wii U Gamepad was not about simply streaming to the screen. A large number of games implemented gameplay on both screen and touch screen features. It was actually great in many games. There was even asymmetrical gameplay in some Nintendoland games and it was super fun.
And nothing is stopping Sony from doing Q enhanced games.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
For me, the point is to expose people’s hypocrisy.
Whoever ever wrote “I didn’t buy a $500 console and a 4K TV to play in 1080p” and buys this thing deserves to be called a clown for as long as Sony will make gaming consoles. “No compromise gaming” people should not consider such a device, no matter how many kids they have or how many hours a day their spouse spends watching TV. If you want no compromise gaming you can surely afford another TV or two instead of this.

reksveks

Whoever ever wrote “I didn’t buy a $500 console and a 4K TV to play in 1080p” and buys this thing deserves to be called a clown for as long as Sony will make gaming consoles. “No compromise gaming” people should not consider such a device, no matter how many kids they have or how many hours a day their spouse spends watching TV. If you want no compromise gaming you can surely afford another TV or two instead of this.
The only bad compromise is the compromises that other people make.

Roxkis_ii

What's the point of project q?
To flop.

It's too many multipurpose devices that can do the same thing. Likely with better battery life.

Unless it's $100, it's DOA.

Unknown?

Wouldn't the pixel density on this be higher in 1080p than on a large 4k TV?

What's the point of project q?
To flop.

It's too many multipurpose devices that can do the same thing. Likely with better battery life.

Unless it's $100, it's DOA.
I remember people saying Switch was DOA at $299.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
The Wii U was a stupid console but playing the game on the pad really did work and did have use cases for stuff like families, that’s the only way this thing makes even a little bit of sense. Even then it’s a lot of money and looks really really REALLY dumb. I find it hard to believe that the same company that made some of the most iconic and brilliant home electronics designs ever put that out there.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

I'm suggesting people here are out of touch.

So tell me why anyone would buy a device that does the same thing their cellphone, tablet, and laptop can do, but has likely worst battery life and is only single purpose?

Let's not forget it may also be disposable considering is using the same analog sticks that drift after a time as on the Dualsense controller.

Sale me on project q, oh great and wise one. Tell me how I'm wrong.

Last edited:
I certainly don't get the point, and I actually use streaming a bit. Phones today are powerful, and there are all kinds of cool controllers available. This looks overpriced and underwhelming......

Rodolink

friends on how expensive this is but it could have very practical uses like, staying in same couch with wife while she watches netflix and i play or vice versa or sneakily playing with the tv off so the baby doesn't get distracted...
but if course if this end up being 250€ or more it's not worthy at all.
although that wont be a problem asall the flock will end up getting it anyway like the psvr2 expensive as the console itself

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Wouldn't the pixel density on this be higher in 1080p than on a large 4k TV?
I don’t see people who bought a 75+” TV complain about pixel density. I do hear them say they’d never go back to 50”, let alone smaller.

The kind of experience PlayStation is pushing can’t be conveyed through a small screen. That’s the main reason Vita failed: why buy a watered-down, SD Uncharted when you can have the “real” thing on your TV?

I could see people use the Q to replay games they already experienced “as they were meant to be” on their TV. Except most people don’t replay games, making the big screen experience imperative and making the Q look even more useless.

If this thing launches in the price range of a compulsive buy it will still meet moderate success. I can see the hardcore PlayStation worshippers buy one just to feel good for supporting their favorite company, and then let the Q collect dust when they realize they have no real use for it.

Unknown?

I don’t see people who bought a 75+” TV complain about pixel density. I do hear them say they’d never go back to 50”, let alone smaller.

The kind of experience PlayStation is pushing can’t be conveyed through a small screen. That’s the main reason Vita failed: why buy a watered-down, SD Uncharted when you can have the “real” thing on your TV?

I could see people use the Q to replay games they already experienced “as they were meant to be” on their TV. Except most people don’t replay games, making the big screen experience imperative and making the Q look even more useless.

If this thing launches in the price range of a compulsive buy it will still meet moderate success. I can see the hardcore PlayStation worshippers buy one just to feel good for supporting their favorite company, and then let the Q collect dust when they realize they have no real use for it.
Sure but the comment I quoted was talking about 4k snobs who never would do 1080p but it's moot if pixel density is close. 4k on a screen that size is overkill IMO.

Unknown?

So tell me why anyone would buy a device that does the same thing their cellphone, tablet, and laptop can do, but has likely worst battery life and is only single purpose?

Let's not forget it may also be disposable considering is using the same analog sticks that drift after a time as on the Dualsense controller.

Sale me on project q, oh great and wise one. Tell me how I'm wrong.
Idk, we will see when it launches obviously.

Roxkis_ii

Idk, we will see when it launches obviously.

I91ZaoC.gif

So you just woke up and felt like being a contrarian today.

It's cool, I have those days too.

Top Bottom