• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Souls games - which did you find most difficult/challenging overall?

Which souls game was most challenging/difficult for you?

• Demons Souls

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Dark Souls I

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Dark Souls II

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Dark souls III

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 16 12.6%
  • Sekiro

Votes: 73 57.5%
  • Elden Ring

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • All were around the same level of difficulty for me

Votes: 4 3.1%

• Total voters

kicker

Banned
Remember, More difficult =/= Better. This isn't about quality or favourites. They're all great games.

Whether fun-challenging or frustrating-challenging: which did you find most challenging/difficult?

Kurotri

Bloodborne for me. For some reason I couldn't handle myself as well with it as all the other games. Maybe it was because I was shitin my pants half the time because of the scary atmosphere. Bloodborne lore goes crazy.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Sekiro, not even close, but it's not even really a Souls game.

Of the remaining it's easily DS3.

Freeman76

Bloodborne because the summoning system was shit and i had to do most of the bosses on my own 🤣🤣

I couldnt get far in Sekiro either but I didnt vote for that because it isnt a souls game

Markio128

I know this doesn’t really answer the question, but I found Bloodborne really challenging - brutally at times, but also the most compelling of the souls games. It’s actually the only one I can say I completed. I just adored the world and the enemies and wanted to see what was next, even if it nearly broke me. I can’t say the same for the other games as they all seem to follow the same format.

Well, other than Sekiro, which I will definitely go back to at some point.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Any particular reason for this belief?
"Belief" lol

The game plays largely NOTHING like any of the Souls games.
Uses a set character, doesn't have multiplayer, lack of character customization, etc.

I'm not saying it as a way to say it's less of a game or anything. Just the fact that lumping it with the others that ALL have those things and more is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Dark Souls 3 because there is simply no hiding In it. Sekiro is similar but once you understand that game properly it’s as though you become one with it. You are unstoppable. DS3 is different, somehow. And the mobs are SO aggressive.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I found Sekiro most difficult but also the most fun. It’s combat was sublime.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
My own Dark Soul
Lonely Episode 12 GIF by One Chicago

Last edited:

salva

I finally resumed Sekiro after giving up a few years ago. Up to that old lady bitch.
I've quickly stopped playing it again.
There's just nothing fun about the ridiculous combat. The best part of the game is playing it tenchu style with stealth. Boss fights are fken abysmal.

Incoming "git gud" yadda yadda

SJRB

Gold Member
Sekiro because of the Dance Dance revolution gameplay.

You either "get" the rhythm mechanic or you don't, and I very much do not.

Braag

Sekiro is the only one I had to take a long break from and come back to force myself through it. My friend who is a huge souls fan dropped it eventually and never got back to it.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Without summons, I actually feel Elden Ring is, but I picked Bloodborne. Won't touch Sekiro, don't think I'd have a prayers chance of being good at that game.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Have you played Sekiro?
Easiest game. Once you learn to parry, you never struggle. :D

Sekiro never felt too difficult for me, anymore than Devil May Cry does. Blood borne and its DLC are my personal nightmares. Always struggle against Ludwig and Orphan.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Easiest game. Once you learn to parry, you never struggle.

Same argument in Souls but for rolling, when it comes down to it. But getting the parry timing down for every fight in that game takes far more effort than any of the Souls games, in fact I'd say that skill is pretty transferable across them all.

Sekiro by far. I remember spending hours on some bosses until I learned them so well, they became easy. Once you become good at parrying though, it gets alot easier.

Last edited:
Sekiro because of the Dance Dance revolution gameplay.

You either "get" the rhythm mechanic or you don't, and I very much do not.
Yeah I'm in the same boat. Couldn't even finish it. At least other Fromsoftware games you can always just "farm" sections and level up easily to get past road blocks. Sekiro, you are either good enough or not. Nothing really gonna help you in terms of items/stats

Same argument in Souls but for rolling, when it comes down to it. But getting the parry timing down for every fight in that game takes far more effort than any of the Souls games, in fact I'd say that skill is pretty transferable across them all.
I disagree because Sekiro isn’t just about parrying - it’s about pressing the attack until your opponent parries. Theres a psychological component to it that unlocks the game. It’s very freeing. In comparison DS is more… mechanical? Aside from getting over intimidating bosses I’d say it lacks that depth and so its always just about reacting and waiting. Sekiro is more of a mind game.

Elden Ring is totally different too because it’s so flexible.

Ogbert

Same argument in Souls but for rolling, when it comes down to it.
So many people never catch on to the fact that almost every difficult Souls encounter is based around trying to get you to roll too soon.

Dark Souls III has Bloodborne enemy design but the character options aren't as open as Bloodborne's. I cannot beat the real Solaire on the dragon. Shit game anyway btw. FF XIII Dark Souls Edition.

Danjin44

Just dropping by to say Sekiro isn't a Soulsborne game.

Can't wait for people to start calling Armored Core VI one too.
Agree with that, Sekiro is FROM’s take on action game rather than being part of Souls games.

Last edited:

AV

I disagree because Sekiro isn’t just about parrying - it’s about pressing the attack until your opponent parries. Theres a psychological component to it that unlocks the game. It’s very freeing. In comparison DS is more… mechanical? Aside from getting over intimidating bosses I’d say it lacks that depth and so its always just about reacting and waiting. Sekiro is more of a mind game.

Elden Ring is totally different too because it’s so flexible.

It was a response to you asking why people thought Sekiro isn't a Souls game. It isn't. It literally started life as Tenchu, there's one player character, you have one main weapon, you can't farm XP, it's got a totally unique parry/dodge mechanic, etc. etc. It just so happens to be made by From and have the whole bonfire thing. If Armored Core has bonfires people are gonna start saying Soulsbornecore or Armoredsoulsborne.

Not really following what you're saying about Souls though, it's the same thing with rolling, plenty of "mind games" (blocking AI) in Souls, it's just about waiting for the right moment to roll rather than parry. That's all those games are when you boil it down to the core. Not taking anything away, I love them all, I'd spend another 100 hours rolling, but that's all they all. Sekiro doesn't have a psychological component when it's a single player game, you're not playing mind games with anyone either, it's just a living mechanic you have to dance around.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Sekiro best From game (together with Bloodborne) and the most difficult.

Elden Ring easier game by a long freaking mile and therefore worse souls/From game in a close race with DS2 but for other reasons

Last edited:

Mayar

Neo Member
May I ask what the hell is Sekiro doing on this list? don't get me wrong, it's a great game and one of my favorites, but it has nothing to do with the Soul genre.

If you take souls games, then perhaps Bloodborne. Partly because all the other games play virtually the same way. Blooborne, on the other hand, encourages an extremely aggressive type of combat, when you, receiving damage, attack the enemy in order to return your HP back by hitting him. And after the usual Souls games, I had to change my playing style a bit for Bloodbourne.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Haven't played sekiro yet, this poll scares me lol
Well, unlike all the other Souls games in Sekiro you need to be aggressive and learn that parry. That makes it the most difficult by default. In all the other Souls games you can usually take your time and learn the enemies attacks and shit. Well, that doesn’t cut it in Sekiro.

Naked Lunch

Sekiro by miles. There is no leveling past sections. Learn the counter system or die.
One of the most difficult games ever crafted actually - the only things that compare (in terms of sheer difficulty) are hardcore bullethell shmups.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
The only correct answer is Sekiro.

In most situations the only way to progress in the game is to get better at it.

You don't grind for levels, you grind for experience.

I_D

Bloodborne is the toughest one because you can't block to regain your composure, you get caught on environmental objects, and the game is just fast as hell.

Sekiro is, BY FAR, the easiest one, because you can just rope your way out of every encounter other than bosses. The bosses are pretty easy because you can just tap the parry button over and over again.

And Dark Souls 2 has more content than DS1, DS3, BB, and DS combined.

Come at me, bros.

They're my favorite franchise, and every single one of them puts damn near every other adventure game to shame.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Easiest game. Once you learn to parry, you never struggle. :D

Sekiro never felt too difficult for me, anymore than Devil May Cry does. Blood borne and its DLC are my personal nightmares. Always struggle against Ludwig and Orphan.
You are trying to show off my Mod... going to say that beating that last f... gauntlet was easy ??? No f.nnn way bro ...

Can agree with Bloodborne expansion though... thing of nightmares

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Well, unlike all the other Souls games in Sekiro you need to be aggressive and learn that parry. That makes it the most difficult by default. In all the other Souls games you can usually take your time and learn the enemies attacks and shit. Well, that doesn’t cut it in Sekiro.
Oh dear, well I'll just have to suck it up and learn when it comes time. The main thing I'm not looking forward too is how annoying it is to get the three ending bosses in one playthrough because I definitely don't wanna miss great unique boss battles.

Danjin44

The easiest ones for me were Demon's Souls
Yeah, Demons Souls only difficult first time through when you don’t know anything, once you learn it it becomes very easy. Most bosses in Demons have one fatal flaw and once you figure that out they very easy to get through because they build those fights like a puzzle.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yeah, Demons Souls only difficult first time through when you don’t know anything, once you learn it it becomes very easy. Most bosses in Demons have one fatal flaw and once you figure that out they very easy to get through because they build those fights like a puzzle.
Yeah. I also played it as my second Souls game, after Dark Souls, felt like a big step down in difficulty after that.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Sekiro was the only one listed that I never finished. The rest I never felt were too hard, but then I cut my teeth on the whole genre by importing Demon's Souls on PS3 and then bashing my head against the wall of Dark Souls until finally learning it.
I need to go back and do the same thing on Sekiro, and will do so some day.

Oh dear, well I'll just have to suck it up and learn when it comes time. The main thing I'm not looking forward too is how annoying it is to get the three ending bosses in one playthrough because I definitely don't wanna miss great unique boss battles.
It’s so fun you’ll want to play through it multiple times.

Top Bottom