• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SP2 - Microsoft documents bugs, glitches, conflicts

Status
Not open for further replies.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Entire article here:
http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104_2-5311280.html

Microsoft has issued a list of nearly 50 software applications and games that may encounter problems with its Windows XP Service Pack 2 update.

In a document published in the "Knowledge Base" section of the company's Web site, Microsoft details the various issues that people may face when they install the SP2 package, which was released to PC manufacturers earlier this month. A range of applications is listed in the Microsoft report, including several of the software maker's own products, along with antivirus tools, Web server software, and a handful of games.

Among the primary issues Microsoft highlights in the article are glitches related to the relationship between its Windows Firewall system, which is automatically turned on as a security default by SP2, and many of the listed programs. According to the document, the updated firewall may prevent computers from properly connecting to outside networks, limiting systems' abilities to effectively receive data. Some of the problems caused by the update include issues with remote desktops, file sharing, e-mail notifications and online multiplayer games.

Yeah, I'm holding off on SP2 until Microsoft sorts this shit out. The article also mentions other programs becoming disabled, including some of their own shit, which is just funny, and some Macromedia programs, which would blow for me because I tend to use Flash quite a bit.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Mr Gump said:
The windows firewall? Who uses that?

Seriously. you know that the windows firewall has a hook that allows other applications to disable it!?. You're better off just disabling and going with your own firewall application (or better yet - a hardware firewall).

RedDwarf

Smegging smeg of a smeg!
A handy list of programs that have issues is here. The list appears to be growing. Yahoo! messenger and AOL are funny ones that are affected.

pestul

Well.. it's all good and fine to say it's running great for yourself, but when MS documents the issues themselves.. it becomes quite obvious that you guys are lucky you aren't using anything SP2 breaks.

I'm holding out for at least a couple months.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
pestul said:
Well.. it's all good and fine to say it's running great for yourself, but when MS documents the issues themselves.. it becomes quite obvious that you guys are lucky you aren't using anything SP2 breaks.

I'm holding out for at least a couple months.

As everyone keeps pointing out, 90% of these issues are either with:

a) the windows firewall running and people not realizing how to use it

b) old corporate software that has a number of security holes that Microsoft finally decided to plug up.

pestul

Nerevar said:
As everyone keeps pointing out, 90% of these issues are either with:

a) the windows firewall running and people not realizing how to use it

b) old corporate software that has a number of security holes that Microsoft finally decided to plug up.
Yeah, you're right.. but it's really the undeclared issues that worry me the most (ie. Halo is broken on 256mb cards with AGP apperature set > 128mb in BIOS.. as well as a few other games having issues).

maharg

idspispopd
Nerevar said:
Seriously. you know that the windows firewall has a hook that allows other applications to disable it!?. You're better off just disabling and going with your own firewall application (or better yet - a hardware firewall).

In another thread I mentioned something that made me wonder about its usefulness. This was the thing. However, the documentation that mentions it is not all that clear, so has this actually been *tested* yet? I haven't tried it because I'm too lazy to update my platform sdk.

It's also worth noting that you have to be Admin for it to work (according to the docs), and arguably you shouldn't be logged in as admin except to install software (at which point you know what you're risking, and you can check the list of apps registered to be automatically allowed access after you do so) anyways.

Yeah, I really don't understand why Microsoft had SP2 turn on the Firewall by default, considering it seems to cause more problems then fix them. For example: For some reason whenever the Firewall is on my Satellite Internet goes down; now I knew about this before I installed it, so I knew exactly what the problem was and was able to fix it, but other people may not know how.

In any case, it doesn't seem right for Microsoft to tell us what to do with OUR software. Kind of reminds me how when you install AIM it automatically disables MSN Messenger (which is good, but just the fact that they make a change like that without your knowledge isn't).

gohepcat

Banned
It's a step in the right direction.
We can't keep having all these people plugged directly into a cable modem with no protection. If you don't want the firewall, simply shut it off.

As for the things it "breaks"..hmm I think that's just a list of things that will cause the firewall to ask if you want to allow. AIM works fine, but it does cause the firewall to ask if you want to unblock it the first time you start it up.

From a Sysadmin standpoint I have to say it's great. I'm looking forward to not having to deal with 1000 viruses sent to my office every month. We only have 40 active email addresses for christ sake. People are going to freak though. It is noticeably more...security aware. Lots of telling it that you are sure you want this webpage to run an Active X control etc.

aaaaa0

maharg said:
It's also worth noting that you have to be Admin for it to work (according to the docs), and arguably you shouldn't be logged in as admin except to install software (at which point you know what you're risking, and you can check the list of apps registered to be automatically allowed access after you do so) anyways.

If you're running as admin, ANY software firewall can be trivially disabled.

In the worst case scenario, Admins can load drivers, drivers can modify kernel memory. Security is toast.

Ergo, if you're running as admin, and you're tricked into running any code from an attacker, the machine is doomed regardless of what software firewall you have installed.

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom