• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space X Announces BFR - Travel anywhere on earth in under an hour - Mars in 2022

one thing i don't get

where will be located the BFRports? i guess not near cities

imagine flying across the world in half an hour and then remain stuck in traffic for x hours

dope stuff nonetheless
The video showed the rocket launching from a water-platform that people boated to (remember they’ve done a lot of testing landing on floating platforms), so that helps for folks living near bodies of water. Of course, it’s gonna be loud as hell so that platform may be a ways off shore.

gutshot

one thing i don't get

where will be located the BFRports? i guess not near cities

imagine flying across the world in half an hour and then remain stuck in traffic for x hours

dope stuff nonetheless

You land somewhere remote and then take the Hyperloop into the city. 😁

Hrothgar

Worth noting that SpaceX made its first succesful orbit just 9 years ago.

There is no way the ports will be that close to the cities they serve. These things will be Capital-Loud LOUD on takeoff.

Especially on water, as that will cary the sound over a very long distance

Trickster

What's the plan for dealing with th g forces?

juice.gif

KHarvey16

G forces aren’t actually too bad on modern rockets. I think the shuttle did about 3g’s and even the Saturn V kept it under 4 or 5 I think.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Big Fun Rocket????

:)

You won't believe me when I tell you this but my uncle's cousin knows a guy at Nintendo space-x and he said the rocket was named after the engineer that came up with the initial designs. His name was Brian Frank Richards. He said the guy was a real asshole to.

Xe4

Banned
I'm glad Musk is there to push the envelope. That said 2022 for a Mars time frame is laughable, and I'm highly skeptical of the immediate commercial viability of sub Earth orbit launches. The shorter time will mean shit when compared to how expensive the launch will be. Even 10x cheaper than the current launches, it'll still be magnitudes more expensive than the most expensive commercial flights.

Afrikan

What would happen to the existing airline business model if all the wealthy people started taking this instead?

If that meant they would lower flight fares to attract the poorers like myself to travel more often, I'd be fine with that.

With incentives for Hotel/motel stays. :D

Let the Rich have the luxury of getting somewhere in 30mins... I'll deal with the 10+ hour flight if I could pay drastically less than current fares.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol no one is getting in a fucking rocket to go to hawai in under an hour. how delusional is this guy

If that meant they would lower flight fares to attract the poorers like myself to travel more often, I'd be fine with that.

With incentives for Hotel/motel stays. :D

Let the Rich have the luxury of getting somewhere in 30mins... I'll deal with the 10+ hour flight if I could pay drastically less than current fares.

I don't know anything about airline margins, but I'm concerned it would leave lower income people in a awkward spot. Like, if I can fly coach to China for $1000, and first class is selling for $10000, is that flight still profitable if all those first class passengers are now taking a rocket? Even if the BFR offered coach tickets at say $3000, that's still triple the price and largely unaffordable.

GeoGonzo

Worth noting that SpaceX made its first succesful orbit just 9 years ago.

There is no way the ports will be that close to the cities they serve. These things will be Capital-Loud LOUD on takeoff.

I'm not a scientist (and you are probably right about the ports being way too close either way), but... wouldn't sound in Mars have trouble propagating due to the much, much lower atmospheric density?

I'm glad Musk is there to push the envelope. That said 2022 for a Mars time frame is laughable, and I'm highly skeptical of the immediate commercial viability of sub Earth orbit launches. The shorter time will mean shit when compared to how expensive the launch will be. Even 10x cheaper than the current launches, it'll still be magnitudes more expensive than the most expensive commercial flights.

I've seen some back-of-the-envelope maths that suggest the fuel costs would be something like $200k. Obviously this doesn't make any allowance for the cost of the rocket but, being 100% reusable, this cost would be amortised over, potentially, decades (again, like a plane).

Crispy75

I'm not a scientist (and you are probably right about the ports being way too close either way), but... wouldn't sound in Mars have trouble propagating due to the much, much lower atmospheric density?

Oh yeah for sure it's no big deal on mars.

Crispy75

What happens to the bit that detaches?

Which bit? :-D

The first stage (big booster) flies back to the launch pad for refuelling.
The Spacecraft flies to its destination (or orbits and returns to its launch site) and lands on a dedicated pad/cradle before being lifted back on top of another booster with a crane.

As someone who got off a 13 hour flight from LA to Spain 5 days ago, it does not feel like overkill to me at all.

Concorde was never replaced though, due to a shift to efficiency rather than speed in air travel.

And it's obviously Big Friendly Rocket.

Top Bottom