• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Spain] Sales from Nov 13 to 19: PS5 #1, Switch #2, PS Portal #3, Xbox #4

Ronin_7

Banned
PlayStation Black Friday Numbers across Europe are something else entirely, here's Spain:

Spain | Week 46, 2023 | Retail

Hogwarts Legacy (Switch): ~23.000 / New
Super Mario RPG (Switch): 9.500 / New
EA Sports FC 24 (PS5):
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch):
Marvel's Spider-Man 2 (PS5):
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III (PS5):
Nintendo Switch Sports (Switch):
EA Sports FC 24 (PS4):
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch):
EA Sports FC 24 (Switch):

Persona 5 Tactica (ALL): 2.300 / New
Persona 5 Tactica (Switch): 1.300 / New
Persona 5 Tactica (PS4+PS5) 9:1 (XBS)

Hardware:

PS5: 32.000 / 385.200 YTD / ~1.000.000 LTD
Switch: 6.000 / 273.200 YTD
PlayStation Portal: 5.700 / New
XBS: 2.000 / 63.800 YTD

PS5 Best Weeks

FW: 48.000
W46, 2023: 32.000
W51, 2021: 22.500

Last edited:

Top 10 Retail Sales - week 46: 13 to 19 november 2023​

1. Hogwarts Legacy para Switch (23.000)
  2. Super Mario RPG para Switch (9.500)
  3. EA Sports FC 24 para PS5
  4. Super Mario Bros. Wonder para Switch
  5. Marvel's Spider-Man 2 para PS5
  6. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III para PS5
  7. Nintendo Switch Sports para Switch
  8. EA Sports FC 24 para PS4
  9. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe para Switch
  10. EA Sports FC 24 para Switch

Hardware:​

1. PS5 - 32000 (yeah, it sold 32k in a single week. Best sales week since release, when it sold 48k)
  2. Switch - 6000
  3. PS Portal - 5.700 (yes...a console that needs a PS5 to work, is selling more than Series S and X)
  4. Xbox Series S / X - 2.000
Yes, PS5 sold 32k units in a single week in Spain. Yes, it's still the pre-Black Friday week. That's the biggest sales week for the console in Spain since release, when it sold 48k.
Yes...the Portal, which everyone made fun of on GAF, and a console that needs a PS5 to even work, is selling more than Xbox Series X AND S. Mind you, Spain is having promos for Series S where you can buy it for 200€ only and 3 months of Gamepass. And still, it can't surpass 2k units sold per week.

Source

At this point it's safe to assume PS5 is mudering the entire competition this November and December. It won't be even close. By competition i mean Nintendo only, clearly.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

But I thought Phill is super smart businessman?

Should Be Here By Now Pittsburgh Pirates GIF by MLB

On one hand, the Portal is almost certainly sold out in every region so it probably has some room left to sell, but also you shouldn't really compare the launch of a product to another product's weekly sales.

I doubt Portal sustains those numbers as XBS is.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Top 10 Retail Sales - week 46: 13 to 19 november 2023​

1. Hogwarts Legacy para Switch (23.000)
  2. Super Mario RPG para Switch (9.500)
  3. EA Sports FC 24 para PS5
  4. Super Mario Bros. Wonder para Switch
  5. Marvel's Spider-Man 2 para PS5
  6. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III para PS5
  7. Nintendo Switch Sports para Switch
  8. EA Sports FC 24 para PS4
  9. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe para Switch
  10. EA Sports FC 24 para Switch

Hardware:​

1. PS5 - 32000 (yeah, it sold 32k in a single week. Best sales week since release, when it sold 48k)
  2. Switch - 6000
  3. PS Portal - 5.700 (yes...a console that needs a PS5 to work, is selling more than Series S and X)
  4. Xbox Series S / X - 2.000
Yes, PS5 sold 32k units in a single week in Spain. Yes, it's still the pre-Black Friday week. That's the biggest sales week for the console in Spain since release, when it sold 48k.
Yes...the Portal, which everyone made fun of on GAF, and a console that needs a PS5 to even work, is selling more than Xbox Series X AND S. Mind you, Spain is having promos for Series S where you can buy it for 200€ only and 3 months of Gamepass. And still, it can't surpass 2k units sold per week.

Source

At this point it's safe to assume PS5 is mudering the entire competition this November and December. It won't be even close. By competition i mean Nintendo only, clearly.

Is it true that Spain is about 20% of all European video game sales on average on a yearly basis?

mckmas8808

So that's why Sony asked NPD to include Portal as hardware and not accessory; to knock Xbox to 4th place /s

I know you are joking, but did NPD say they are going to report PS Portal hardware sales?

iHaunter

Because it's not pointless and overpriced lol
It's entirely pointless. You can only play it if you have a great Wi-Fi connection. Until they had Cloud Play and an OLED screen. To me it's not worth even remotely close to $200. It's an LCD screen with a DualSense controller slapped on it. It doesn't even have Bluetooth...

mckmas8808

It's entirely pointless. You can only play it if you have a great Wi-Fi connection. Until they had Cloud Play and an OLED screen. To me it's not worth even remotely close to $200. It's an LCD screen with a DualSense controller slapped on it. It doesn't even have Bluetooth...

Millions of people have great wifi in their homes though. So it's for a decent amount of people. Plus a DualSense costs $70. Throw a screen on it and no way it was going to sell for a dollar under $150. So yeah.....it's also a profit making machine.

But they do need to add cloud gaming on it. I think they'll add it by the end of 2025. Sony is always slow with stuff like that.

Hustler

Why would you ever own an Xbox when you can just play game pass on your phone and get the same experience?

This is obviously Portal-related sarcasm, I really like the Series X.
It's funny though, because it's true in the sense I have no reason to buy an Xbox when I can play Xbox games with game pass on my PC. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

I bought the Portal and am loving it

StereoVsn

So, would you say its 3x less pointless vs Xbox or is Xbox 3x more pointless then DualSense (in Spain)'? :)

Sleepwalker

Millions of people have great wifi in their homes though. So it's for a decent amount of people. Plus a DualSense costs $70. Throw a screen on it and no way it was going to sell for a dollar under $150. So yeah.....it's also a profit making machine.

But they do need to add cloud gaming on it. I think they'll add it by the end of 2025. Sony is always slow with stuff like that.

Linus had a good breakdown of the price, I don't think this is making much profit. It's priced at the lowest possible point they could.

spons

Gold Member
Is it true that Spain is about 20% of all European video game sales on average on a yearly basis?
That would be interesting to know. Europe is highly diverse though, for example the Switch sold 1 million+ units in just the Netherlands alone which is a bonkers amount for a country that small.

mckmas8808

Linus had a good breakdown of the price, I don't think this is making much profit. It's priced at the lowest possible point they could.

How much does Linus think the BOM is? He can't possibly think it cost more than $150, right?

If we're speaking here about the whole Europe including UK then no, I'd say Spain video game sales and HW would account for around 10% tops, maybe even lower than that. UK, Germany and France video game markets are individually considerably bigger than Spain's.

This screenshot doesn't tell the whole picture since it only accounts for digital video game revenue, but it's enough to help understand the difference between mid size markets like Spain and top ones like UK or Germany.
image.png

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
More and more we're seeing that Phil's quote of "We lost the worst generation to lose" is proving true.

I think that after the Xbox One debacle, and the fact that the Xbox One / PS4 generation is the generation that consumers really started to build their digital library into their ecosystem of choice, the Xbox brand is forever tarnished. It really doesn't matter if they continue to build quality hardware, provide high-value services, and produce high quality games. The stigma/aversion to the platform isn't going to be reversed.

No idea what they can really do at this point.

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Can some estimate global week 1 portal sales if this figure is representative of proportional sales/allocation worldwide?

Top Bottom