• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spec Ops to be delisted entirely from all online gaming stores

wtf... Glad I got this on series x. I just got my xbox for xmas. I was in a rude awakening as I mainly wanted it for backwards compatibility (my ps3 is toast) and the 1080p resolution scaling for some games.
Then I go to buy games and all these games that were showing up a month or two prior not available for purchase.

These games I had to buy physical:
Mortal Kombat 9
BF Bad Company 1 and 2
Skate 2 (1 and 3 were on the store wtf)
Splinter Cell
Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow
Silent Hill Downpour

These were not cheap as now with shops and ebay all in communications you don't get "yard sale" style discounts like you used to when people just wanted to get rid of them. They will lock them behind glass and sell for top dollar while they have auctions on ebay. It really sucks buying some physical games anymore. Silent hill downpour alone cost me $50. MK9 -$30, skate 2 -> $25. Yet skate 3 only cost me 4.99 on the store for sale.

Why won't money bags microsoft pony up the small bits of cash to get license re-written. I am sure Korn isn't asking a lot for the song they have on the intro of downpour. Other games removed make no sense at all. Splinter cell has no licensed music, neither does bf bad company. Why remove them. Mortal Kombat had dlc of Freddy Krueger (the non Robert Englund, ree-ree version of freddy) , why not just remove that and keep the game for sale?
And now spec ops the line. -These decisions make no fing sense.

Are companies still writing contracts without regard to re-releasing on new platforms, or in xbox case, releasing the same version of the game on a new system, or continuing to sell said game on that system.
These rules are horrible and no one is pushing back becasue " eww old games, only care about gaas and gamepass... graphics and 120fps, 4k buzzwo4rds salad" we see fanboys drivel..

I care, and I make it known this isn't cool, but i don't know what else can be done to even change the tide. I buy up all i can of old games i want but man it sucks if you are late to the party.

IS there a list of games that will get delisted or have been delisted?

I checked on the twitter comments, wow what a dumpster fire. There are tons of fanboys simping for Microsoft, anytime someone complains, they are like "you can still play if you own it" and " its a 12 year old game you had a chance to buy it" .
I really don't understand how these people can lick boot and MS shaft so much. It just boggles my mind, they can't say anything negative about thier idol.

If playstation pulls some shady shit, I speak out, if nintendo does same thing, same with micorsoft or any company. Yet here we are with people simping for corporations and yelling at people who want to buy delisted games, like its' their fault they didn't own the console sooner and buy everything off the store. Does MS hire these people or were they dropped on their heads as children?

Astray

Gold Member
I checked on the twitter comments, wow what a dumpster fire. There are tons of fanboys simping for Microsoft, anytime someone complains, they are like "you can still play if you own it" and " its a 12 year old game you had a chance to buy it" .
I really don't understand how these people can lick boot and MS shaft so much. It just boggles my mind, they can't say anything negative about thier idol.

If playstation pulls some shady shit, I speak out, if nintendo does same thing, same with micorsoft or any company. Yet here we are with people simping for corporations and yelling at people who want to buy delisted games, like its' their fault they didn't own the console sooner and buy everything off the store. Does MS hire these people or were they dropped on their heads as children?
This isn't Microsoft or Sony's fault, the publisher (2K) is delisting the game of their own volition.

Kacho

Wtf does 2K delisting their game have to do with Microsoft?

The people are right btw. You had a decade to purchase the game if you were interested in it. It’s on you if you missed the boat. If you’re really that desperate to play it there will always be a way to get it on PC. Using this game as ammo against digital games is stupid as fuck.

Simms

Neo Member
wtf... Glad I got this on series x. I just got my xbox for xmas. I was in a rude awakening as I mainly wanted it for backwards compatibility (my ps3 is toast) and the 1080p resolution scaling for some games.
Then I go to buy games and all these games that were showing up a month or two prior not available for purchase.

These games I had to buy physical:
Mortal Kombat 9
BF Bad Company 1 and 2
Skate 2 (1 and 3 were on the store wtf)
Splinter Cell
Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow
Silent Hill Downpour

These were not cheap as now with shops and ebay all in communications you don't get "yard sale" style discounts like you used to when people just wanted to get rid of them. They will lock them behind glass and sell for top dollar while they have auctions on ebay. It really sucks buying some physical games anymore. Silent hill downpour alone cost me $50. MK9 -$30, skate 2 -> $25. Yet skate 3 only cost me 4.99 on the store for sale.

Why won't money bags microsoft pony up the small bits of cash to get license re-written. I am sure Korn isn't asking a lot for the song they have on the intro of downpour. Other games removed make no sense at all. Splinter cell has no licensed music, neither does bf bad company. Why remove them. Mortal Kombat had dlc of Freddy Krueger (the non Robert Englund, ree-ree version of freddy) , why not just remove that and keep the game for sale?
And now spec ops the line. -These decisions make no fing sense.

Are companies still writing contracts without regard to re-releasing on new platforms, or in xbox case, releasing the same version of the game on a new system, or continuing to sell said game on that system.
These rules are horrible and no one is pushing back becasue " eww old games, only care about gaas and gamepass... graphics and 120fps, 4k buzzwo4rds salad" we see fanboys drivel..

I care, and I make it known this isn't cool, but i don't know what else can be done to even change the tide. I buy up all i can of old games i want but man it sucks if you are late to the party.

IS there a list of games that will get delisted or have been delisted?

This site usually tries to gives heads up of any delisted games so you can buy before removal

WitchHunter

Banned
All games reliant on licensed whatever should really have some kind contingency plan so that things like music can be swapped out to royalty free / original tracks, and things like car models have their badges and names changed.
SWAPPED OUT? To what? Taylor Swift's Shake it? (That's a good song btw ;P) To ruin the whole experience? I mean, when you play something you expect the same from it 25 years later when you play it because of nostalgia. Give those 2K monkeys a frying pan smack to the head.

Idiots buying everything digital... There should be a law that says you have to provide the same fucking shit the monkey bought, not some altered weeny shit. For newly bought whatever, the music can be swapped out to the croco dance, fuck cares. And this would elevate digital ownership somewhat, because if you were a first buyer, you would have the real shit.

Last edited:

Mokus

Did they already delisted it from gog? The link doesn't work and I can't find it on the gog store.

//DEVIL//

Glad I have it on steam. Same with street fighter vs Tekken.. and one of those jump force vs games too that was delisted too. I got them all for dirt cheap and they are like in 100s of dollars

Wtf does 2K delisting their game have to do with Microsoft?

The people are right btw. You had a decade to purchase the game if you were interested in it. It’s on you if you missed the boat. If you’re really that desperate to play it there will always be a way to get it on PC. Using this game as ammo against digital games is stupid as fuck.
oh look another person simping corporations. You could of not owned the system years ago. You don't ever go back to play old games. I have many games on steam/gog that I buy again on console for the convenience (when on sale) for tv play. What does it being on sale hurt you. And all digital future is bullshit. Imagine being for not owning anything and have 100s of subscriptions. Sorry I like options digital and physical.

This isn't Microsoft or Sony's fault, the publisher (2K) is delisting the game of their own volition.
Who evers fault it is they need to get pushback but there are people all like "whelp, i got mine" and straight up simping corps delisting games. Why would anyone be for delisting games to be for sale? Why deprive someone else ability to enjoy a game.

What really sucks is games that are no longer available anywhere.
Example: Alpha Protocol.. game removed from steam , removed from xbox, when it was there a few years ago. Now if you want it , you have to get a physical copy and the console as no backwards compatible (thanks ms..grrr.) or spend $80 on some key site as the price is jacked up. I wanted this on steam deck , but not at that price. And putting pirated games on steam deck isn't fun (linux is so backwards to me file system is a confusing maze with links not making sense compared to windows). I own the ps3 version but ps3 is busted. Delisting sucks. Espcially when there is no reason for it. Don't know why this game in particular was delisted.

Last edited:

angrod14

I honestly don't understand how these "license agreements" work. If you accept that a song, brand or whatever of yours is going to be featured in a third-party commercial product (movies, games, etc.), how can you pretend that product to be entirely removed from sale after a while? Your song or brand now integrates that product (which is not yours), and you accepted that shit. Deal with it, period.

Will Part II be removed from PSN once Pearl Jam's or A-ha's licensing "expires"? Fuck that. I would never let a commercial product of mine rely on a third party trademark or license.

Last edited:

Kacho

oh look another person simping corporations.
You don't seem very bright if that's what you took away from my post.

What does it being on sale hurt you.
Wtf are you even talking about? It's called being realistic about certain games availability after a certain point. Any game with licensed music, cars, brands, whatever, will inevitably stop being sold because publishers no longer pay for the licenses. If you think a significant amount of people genuinely care about a hypothetical situation where lil Jimmy can no longer purchase Forza Horizon 4 in a few years, I don't know what to tell you man.

Kadve

I like that they act as if "The line" was the only Spec Ops game that exists. It was actually the 8th game in the series (though the last prior was in 2002, and none has been available digitally).

Anyway. To bad but stuff happens all the time sadly.

Last edited:

Portman

Did they already delisted it from gog? The link doesn't work and I can't find it on the gog store.
I'm seeing it mentioned that it has been delisted from their and the link just goes back to the homepage now. I guess whatever GOG was holding out for must've expired at some point? Or perhaps they were bullied to remove it since they had a sale date listed for a few days from now which gave the impression it was going to be listed until then. I need tinfoil for a hat if I keep going down that thought path.

kiphalfton

You know that they’d have to stop selling it physically in this situation too right?

"They" (i.e. retailers) did stop selling it. It's now available only through the second hand market, which is a total crapshoot when it comes to condition, price, availability, accessibility, etc. (the further you get from initial release).

This is the one of the pro's of digital, is when physical goes out of print you can fall back on digital.

This is one of the first critically acclaimed games that I know of that this has happened to. It's actually pretty insane. This isn't just a throw away multiplayer game.

This is one of the first critically acclaimed games that I know of that this has happened to. It's actually pretty insane. This isn't just a throw away multiplayer game.
Happened to :
-Silent hill downpour
-Alpha protocol
- Battle field bad company 1 and 2
- BF 1943
- Splinter Cell
- SC Pandora Tomorrow
- Skate 2
- Mortal Kombat 9
- Crysis 3
-spec ops the line
- Enchanted Arms
- Evolved
- Forza Horizon 2 and 3
- Forza Motorsport 5,6,7
- All just dance games
- Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 and 2
- Mtg Duels of the planes walkers (all single player games non micro transaction game years)
- Overlord and Overlord 2
- Overwatch
- Project Cars
- Rocksmith 2014
- Sherlock devils daughter
- Soul Calibur 2 hd
- Titan Fall

And countless indies. I don't understand how some people treat games like throw away objects. Sorry I don't have time to game all the time. I am 45. I will be retired and want to play all the games I missed. I guess I have to go collect all physical games. Digital is not reliable.

Why do some of these games get delisted, there was no music or cars. Its pure lazyness or greed. Oh multiplayer mode is no longer, just take the whole game off. WTF... i don't get it. Splinter cell has no music, Crysis 3 has no music (that i am aware of) , skate 1 an 3 are still on, why is skate 2 different, why mk9 other than the dlc, also first party titles and titanfall (ms was pushing that hard last gen also was console exclusive)

You don't seem very bright if that's what you took away from my post.

Wtf are you even talking about? It's called being realistic about certain games availability after a certain point. Any game with licensed music, cars, brands, whatever, will inevitably stop being sold because publishers no longer pay for the licenses. If you think a significant amount of people genuinely care about a hypothetical situation where lil Jimmy can no longer purchase Forza Horizon 4 in a few years, I don't know what to tell you man.
They need to do better with this shit. Why is licensing even required to have a limit. Buy the song for a set amount and be done with it. You notice its not all games, some games have songs don't get delisted. Also many games don't have any of those things and get taken away.

Its not about little jimmy. Its about myself and others who play older games. If thats not you thats fine, but many of us do play and buy them. I work, have a family, don't have more than an hour a day to play. I buy more than I play games anymore. I have other hobbies and priorites too. I plan to make up games when I can and look forward to retirement in a few decades from now. Then I see something I may have missed, i try to buy it , see that it was for sale, mentioned in a forum then go to get it bam delisted. No longer able to buy anywhere. Especially concerning if physical goes away. Its also about preserving art for the future, yes games are art. When you see how they are made and the manpower and work, money and art that gets produced for one game its insane.

Come to think of it, if physical is going away this stuff needs to be hashed out first. We shouldn't accept shit terms, and let corpos walk all over customers. Games are art , not throw away fast food. If all you play is f2p, gaas , sports, cod and multiplayer than sure i can see how those people don't care. I grew up with ownership of games and collecting, single player games. I can pop in some Zelda game from 20 years ago and play it just fine. It needs to be the same going forward.

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
I don't understand how some people treat games like throw away objects. Sorry I don't have time to game all the time. I am 45. I will be retired and want to play all the games I missed. I guess I have to go collect all physical games. Digital is not reliable.

If you bought them when they were available, you can play them for the rest of your life. If you didn't buy them then they can't have been that important to you. I doubt many people here really care about this mediocre game, they're just using it as another opportunity to air the same arguments for the hundredth time. People had 12 years.

Stuart360

I agree with the people upset as i'm a fan of game preservation too (piracy to the rescue as usual with this), but the game is what?, 10yo?. The game has been 1-2 bucks on key sites for PC for literally years.
The vast majority of people that have any interest in this will already have it.

ZoukGalaxy

That's the digital future you all want. AWESOME 🖕

Cat Reaction GIF

Last edited:

Stuart360

To be honest idiots deserve to be scalped. If you always wanted the game and havent got it already, thats down to them.

Besides stuff like physical copies being sold at high prices is more to do with hopium that the game value will go up over the coming years.

Guilty_AI

Example: Alpha Protocol.. game removed from steam , removed from xbox, when it was there a few years ago. Now if you want it , you have to get a physical copy and the console as no backwards compatible (thanks ms..grrr.) or spend $80 on some key site as the price is jacked up. I wanted this on steam deck , but not at that price. And putting pirated games on steam deck isn't fun (linux is so backwards to me file system is a confusing maze with links not making sense compared to windows). I own the ps3 version but ps3 is busted. Delisting sucks. Espcially when there is no reason for it. Don't know why this game in particular was delisted.
This is the part where you sail the seven seas

CamHostage

I honestly don't understand how these "license agreements" work. If you accept that a song, brand or whatever of yours is going to be featured in a third-party commercial product (movies, games, etc.), how can you pretend that product to be entirely removed from sale after a while? Your song or brand now integrates that product (which is not yours), and you accepted that shit. Deal with it, period.

The people (or rather corporations) who would be "dealing with it" are likely different people from who negotiated the original deal. Music rights are a popular commodity right now, and catalogues are being sold back and forth. (I don't know about some of the songs; there's a holding company specifically for Hendrix that has been in control for the long haul but there are still lawsuits from bandmates and all kinds of other dangling threads of rights which cannot be micro-managed.)

Also, fees and contracts are different for every period and use of the tune, and licensing a song for perpetuity is the most expensive (and sometimes not even on the table.) With a video game, it's got a marketplace life of maybe 4-12 months for the disc in stores, maybe additional printings (or now digital promotions) extend that if it's a great big hit, but really that product is done on the market after a short while. Perpetuity is a bad deal to make, on paper. It's also not a great deal for the music rights holder, given that they generally pay by the needledrop rather than over time with a royalty, and it may devalue their music by allowing it to be licensed to easily and permanently. Music rights are often made to expire, and it can take more effort than it's worth to reinstate them.

These are legal and financial matters, and they are extremely complicated (and vehemently battled for and against; courts are filled with tiny little rights management cases, even from litigants on otherwise friendly terms.) It's way too complicated to be easy. It's up to the customers (and the bootleggers) to be the ones to "deal with it" through second-hand discs or supporting re-licensing through a strong revival market (for a while, TV & movies were remastered and litigiously settled like crazy because DVD and streaming was big business, but that's petered out and I'm not sure it could have worked that way for games even in the heyday,) plus other means.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Where's all those digital future GAF posters in this thread 🤔
Right here, with my digital copy on Steam, sitting alongside my Outrun 2006: Coast 2 coast.
Not sure how this is a knock against digital, the game was available to purchase for a lot longer time on digital than it was on physical media.

Top Bottom