• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spectrum Studio Boss in Hot Water as “Naked Sauna” outlined as Part of Employees Requirements Surface

Deerock71

Now imagine this is your boss:
kate upton dancing GIF

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Either he genuinely wants people to experience the sauna as intended to help with the game they're making and he's socially retarded, or he's power tripping and trying to get his rocks off at going through an extremely public and embarrassing dance with perpetually online twitter users.

Either way it's fucking stupid. That's what I mean.

Thanks! LOL! That's exactly how I feel about this guy too.

He wants employees to be all in, go balls deep!!!

Seriously though I think he built a hot tub time machine and this is how he’s weeding people out.

Kataploom

Gold Member
In most jobs, you’re required to come to work, do the task that’s assigned to you and call it a day, right? But what if that task involves hopping into a sauna with your boss, naked? Apparently, this is part of the job responsibilities at Polish game studio, Spectrum Studios.
As per the job requirements and LinkedIn messages, this seems not to be true... I think they're making a story out of nothing, the man thinks experiencing the sauna is required for the team to understand the concept and is asking team members (pointed in advanced so no surprises) to do so, they organize it so team members can go do it, but it doesn't say a thing about the boss being there or something like that, they even mentioned women only sessions since.

I don't see anything perv or whatever there, if it was some shady thing it wouldn't be so clearly pointed out in the requirements and the boss wouldn't be so open to clarify things in LinkedIn IMO.

reinking

Gold Member
I'm not going to feel outrage unless somebody there is proven to be a pervert doing it for perverted reasons. Admittedly it does give off creepy vibes but I'm not going to jump to conclusions. It's in the job description. Would there be outrage if an acting job required a sex scene? If you have an issue with a requirement that you can’t fulfil you look for another place/role. As long as the requirement itself isn't exploitation in some way I don't see the issue.
There is a difference in this and a sex scene in a movie. This would be like asking a non-actor, or voice actor, to come in and meet nude because they there are nude scenes in the movie and they need to experience that. As for this guy, I think he is just full of himself.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I've been with a Polish woman for almost 20 years. We travel to Poland 2 times a year. I've been all over the country. I've never heard of a "Sauna evening".
Spoiler: he’s wrong.
Probably due to most of the Polish and Czech girls I hung out with were all EDM ravers. They loved hot tubs and saunas and said they do that all the time back home. They'd literally strip down without asking when we'd go back for the house for an after party if there was a hot tub or sauna. And I am not talking about 1 or 2 of them. Like 8 to 10 girls deep.

I love my life.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Spoiler: he’s wrong.
I said he thinks so, if he's wrong or not is another matter and they're not hiding it either. I don't see something weird, he's just asking them to experience the thing, no that they have to get a sauna with HIM in order to get the job... The thread premise is misleading IMO

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I said he thinks so, if he's wrong or not is another matter and they're not hiding it either. I don't see something weird, he's just asking them to experience the thing, no that they have to get a sauna with HIM in order to get the job... The thread premise is misleading IMO
Bruh, come on now. You really think obligatory sauna sessions is not going to trigger women that want to apply? Be honest now.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Bruh, come on now. You really think obligatory sauna sessions is not going to trigger women that want to apply? Be honest now.
But what's the matter if it's clearly specified in the requirements? If they have a problem with that then they shouldn't apply, he's also very open to clarify things, provide private sessions for women, etc. Like he just wants the team to experience it, that's it, he's not demanding to "get in the sauna with him" as the OP states.

Kataploom

Gold Member
This guy is a legit creep, probably autistic. You dont have to make your team go to the sauna with you specifically. Can you imagine going to a sauna with your boss? Lmao
It doesn't state that anywhere but OP own text, take a look at the provided screenshots

Trilobit

Gold Member
If I was part of a gaming studio I'd require that there was one sauna in every game. Imagine if RDR2 would have had a Finnish character who built a sauna you could use. It would have been insanely cool instead of the obligatory bathtub.

Wouldn't matter what kind of game it was. Racing game? Put a sauna in the garage. Fantasy RPG? Sauna when you visit the dwarves. FPS? Sauna as save points. RTS? Saunas raise morale.

Three

There is a difference in this and a sex scene in a movie. This would be like asking a non-actor, or voice actor, to come in and meet nude because they there are nude scenes in the movie and they need to experience that. As for this guy, I think he is just full of himself.
Yeah there is a difference but my point was that it's in the job description/requirement even if it might make some uncomfortable they can opt to not apply for that role/position. As long as this isn't a perv exploiting people it's not a problem. I'm only giving the benefit of the doubt because it seems his idea is that you need to have experience about saunas or learn there because they're making a game about saunas (no idea how that game works). He requested the person to write about a suana instead of attending to check the persons experience and they have same sex sessions too so it appears like it's about knowing the subject matter you're replicating. He may just be a perv but I think it's one of those things where if the thought of the job description makes you uncomfortable it's easier to just look for another role, like an actors position that may require a nude or sex scene.

Last edited:

K' Dash

Gold Member
spectrum-sauna-1536x864.png.webp

In most jobs, you’re required to come to work, do the task that’s assigned to you and call it a day, right? But what if that task involves hopping into a sauna with your boss, naked? Apparently, this is part of the job responsibilities at Polish game studio, Spectrum Studios.

It sounds absurd, right? Sadly, I am not making this up. Jacek Piórkowski, the Creative Director at Spectrum Studios, has been accused of forcing employees and would-be employees to hold creative meeting sessions in the sauna, and preferably naked. According to Piórkowski, it’s because the game’s premise revolves around the sauna, so this is way for developers to understand the creative process (or something).

It seems given this situation has now been making the rounds on Twitter/X, that Piórkowski has started editing his comments.

GQTJCA5XEAA0jjo.jpg%3Alarge

In the next communication exchanges, Piórkowski explains why being in the sauna is part of the job, and it’s not “about getting naked.”

Pca33TycSjeUJVps1fZwPg.png

ZmTqM0pATmWOmyQZk2-zTg.png

In case you think that’s not part of the job description, check out the requirements for the Art Director position posted on LinkedIn,where it’s mentioned minus the “naked” part.

968f35143b6ff7b08ab8ed0246cded10.png

As you can see, there is the “Attending Sauna Sessions” bit in the job requirements that are “not negotiable” since the entire team needs to understand the product.

While I understand where Piórkowski is coming from that he wants the entire team to understand the theme of the game, there are countless other ideas of doing this without coming off as Pervy McPervison.

Currently, Spectrum Studios is working on a “new groundbreaking game” where Life is Strange, Final Fantasy and more titles are mentioned.

While that in itself doesn’t mention anything about saunas, it all has to do with the game’s protagonist:

As far as we’re aware, Spectrum Studios has not released a game to date. If this is indeed their debut project, then it’s off to a very slippery start.

hot tub girls GIF by Big Brother UK

Sauna Sijoittaminen GIF by Inderes

49e.gif

Tams

I mean, if I had a games studio with attractive female staff, and the money, I'd fantasize about doing this.

But actually doing it, LMAO. It comes across as very creepy.

I understand where he's coming from, but making it mandatory is the issue, especially when not everyone is okay with being nude or others who are nude.

Yes, in a fair few cultures nude communal bathing is the norm, but that doesn't mean everyone is comfortable with it.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

The smiley at the end of each paragraph and that "my narrative girls" really creeps me out.
You can do only female naked sauna session because of all the fungals oh no, even expert recommends it :)

I'm usually the last person to pick the pitchfork but the guy seems to be a man child on a power trip !?

edit - I just realised the studio name is Spectrum Studios. I bet they are all overly attached with each other.

Last edited:

Akuji

Prude muricans. Going to a shooting range, thats just normal. Dont take away our rights!

People working on a Sauna project have to do Sauna. Well thats just the worst.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Prude muricans. Going to a shooting range, thats just normal. Dont take away our rights!

People working on a Sauna project have to do Sauna. Well thats just the worst.
What if I told you, that the stereotypes you mentioned in outrage culture of current year, dont belong in the same category...

Fahdis

Story Time:

Eh, think its normal for Euros to have Sauna stuff? I remember meeting my ex gf for the first time after a few months in Finland as she left Canada to be at home and she took me to their private sauna the second day or so which required you to be nude.

Her mom walked in naked casually as well after like 5 minutes and sat right in front of me, like literally see everything. I tried to put a towel over myself but both of them assured me it was fine and normal here. Her mom was a very fit person as she did swimming marathons and my own ex was studying to be a nutritionist.

I mean it was fucking awkward as shit at first especially with an ex's parent but it became natural after like another 5 minutes because its not a sexual environment. And its more like a social event for people to get to know you better. I would personally never do it with my own parents.

We all hit each other with Birch Tree leaves I believe in turns and holy shit they just walk out naked in that fucking cold in their backyards 😂. Anyways this happened odd days as long as I was there and I really enjoyed the company.

My ex had sarcastic humor and the mother was genuinely funny. You realize how much nudity is a non issue once you have the experience. Anyways, I'm not a nudist either. Guess it was once in a lifetime thing.

Akuji

What if I told you, that the stereotypes you mentioned in outrage culture of current year, dont belong in the same category...
Iam not 100÷ sure i understand you.
But if you wanna say that stereotypes are stupid and they never really tell the whole Story and are missleading then you would be correct.

But for having my point come easily across, they work pretty well.

laynelane

I mean, if I had a games studio with attractive female staff, and the money, I'd fantasize about doing this.

But actually doing it, LMAO. It comes across as very creepy.

I understand where he's coming from, but making it mandatory is the issue, especially when not everyone is okay with being nude or others who are nude.

Yes, in a fair few cultures nude communal bathing is the norm, but that doesn't mean everyone is comfortable with it.

That's my take too. There's lots of things people want to do and have others do, but most understand there's a line you shouldn't cross. Work meetings in a sauna, with all parties preferably naked, is not a particularly outrageous fantasy. Making it mandatory is a problem, though, and making it an official hiring/employment requirement is also a problem. It's not only weird that this policy exists in the first place, but also that people went along with it.

That aside, the dude talking about "My Narrative girls had to go to sauna with me..." is just fucking creepy.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
I don't believe those of you who pretend that we (most of us) are not in 2024 and that we're not living in a modern society. There's no denying the optics of this is terrible.

But I can also see both sides of the argument. Interesting dilemma, and I'm happy I don't have to make a "decision" either way.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Simple and clean... you don't wanna go to sauna sessions... don't apply for the job
The funny part about this, and shows the stigma of the sexes, there are some calling him a creep because he is a he, but when asked or a gif of a hot chick asking the same parameters, we all in that shit. No second guessing or calling her a creep.

Neat little social response experiment if anything.

Last edited:
Daft analogy. In a movie scene, you have to be present. You’re the center of the product. If it calls for a sex scene, it’s inevitable you have to act that part.

The devs of this videogame aren’t being scanned and modeled into the game naked in a sauna.
And here the team has to be present. duh? The target is to share the experience with the colleagues for team building and shared goal reasons. Not even all together, but divided sex seems entirely possible. What you essentially would experience anyway with or without colleagues. Although I believe lockers rooms are divided everywhere while the actual saunas are not. The point probably just is to share it, talk about whatever and giggle about it in the office then. Or no idea, I am actually clueless what the point of that game can be.
But if you don't like it, f off, as I already repeated. Any job should have some room for evolving it a bit, to get the best outcome for employee and employer as well, but if the boss sees it as one requirement to make this task as a team effort, not individually, then so be it, a new employee is not the center of the universe. Muslim women probably also don't apply for Hooters? Not the same thing, but the requirements are there to accept or not accept. It is not after hiring and moving your home or whatever that he surprises the team with new rules. It's right upfront in the application talks. If it is sneakily a pervert action or truthfully the vision for this weird game premise, I don't know, but much like CK Louis he asks and not just does.
Most men would probably find it creepy if a job advert explicitly said you’d have to have nude team huddles with your coworkers.
Sure, then just don't apply for that job. Touching and just being naked is also different level. Personally I am more uncomfortable with hugs with men, clothed!, than being naked in the shower of the indoor pool facilities with them, or just standing at an urinal with anyone present. But me too with eye raping muddled the waters of everything and everything is pratically murder with "survivors" everywhere.
When I did my miltary service it was not advertised that I had to share showers with all the others. Not showering would have been weirder than seeing dongs I guess; and the whole thing was mandadory duty so I had not even a chance to avoid it. She can just ignore that job listing and go on with her life or do it with only females. The horror. Decide what you are comfortable with and then either refuse or participate. Be a grown up and no temper tandrum toddler having a pity party on socials. I have no sympathy for people who create problems due to their crazy entitlements and problem creating skills.

kyussman

I must be missing something or I guess I don't go in for outrage culture,but the guy is actually making a game about saunas,and he wants devs to know about the subject,and as he said there is a very good reason people take saunas naked,it's not anything sexual......these are europeans with their own cultures,of course Americans will go straight to the creepy guy thing because they don't understand foreign culture.

PeteBull

I don't believe those of you who pretend that we (most of us) are not in 2024 and that we're not living in a modern society. There's no denying the optics of this is terrible.

But I can also see both sides of the argument. Interesting dilemma, and I'm happy I don't have to make a "decision" either way.
Fk the optics, fk being politically correct, and fk woke agenda, it doesnt bring anything good to any industry anyways, only losses.
Woke ppl in the west dont realise that "2024/optics" crowds is small bubble compared to whole world, those 50m woke flakes in the US/Canada + another maybe 100m in the rest of western world is nothing vs 8b ppl of total earth population.

Ozriel

M$FT
I must be missing something or I guess I don't go in for outrage culture,but the guy is actually making a game about saunas,and he wants devs to know about the subject,and as he said there is a very good reason people take saunas naked,it's not anything sexual......these are europeans with their own cultures,of course Americans will go straight to the creepy guy thing because they don't understand foreign culture.

What you’re missing is that the devs can easily be asked to go to any sauna of their choice to learn about the subject. Absolutely no need to insist on them going to a sauna In the office.

This isn’t a ‘cultural’ thing. Don’t be silly. The guy who brought it to light is Polish. The lady who wanted to work there and didnt want to get naked in front of her colleagues is Polish. Pretty much everyone involved in the saga who finds it distasteful is Polish.

You should read the article laynelane laynelane linked above

Last edited:

BlackTron

Gold Member
Done for 100% creative reasons. BTW don't forget that if you dare to wear a towel in THAT kinda humidity you're liable for a fungal infection. Better off deciding on your own that you don't need it. You're welcome for the free advice, employee!

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
I think the "reasoning" behind this is dumb, regardless of sexual fantasies or legit "research purposes". I don't care about the outrage since its stated in the job offer. The ones accepting are grown-ups and do it by their own volition.

This sauna socializing is not that strange in Northern Europe and Slavic countries. Not very different from going to nude beaches, which I also find very awkward, but it's common in France or Spain.

Top Bottom