• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiderman x Daredevil in the MCU

Status
Not open for further replies.
*keep in mind this OP will have spoilers from Daredevil season 2 and possibly other MCU shit*

So, Daredevil is probably my favorite TV show right now, and Spiderman has always been my favorite Marvel superhero.

There's nothing I want to see more than these guys come together some way, some how.

Some ideas I thought of last night
after smoking a little

1. Spiderman's first solo film

- SPOIL
It was revealed in Daredevil season 2 that Sweeney is still alive. Matt turned him over to the cops...that was a flashback, maybe by now he's out.

-He's still a crime boss causing shit, so Spiderman does his thing to try and catch him and somewhere along the way he cross paths with Daredevil. All the while Kingpin is still in jail however, while Spiderman and Daredevil are occupied with Sweeney, Kingpin continues to make moves, maybe even works with Norman Osborn, and finally escapes jail, out into the wild again.

-So Kingpin. In my opinion, Kingpin should be the first villain in the Sony MCU Spiderman series.

-Sevenwebheads had this video explaining the deal a little bit, which makes me wonder if Sony in turn is allowed to use MCU characters in the Spiderman movies. Now, they would obviously want someone like Captain America or Iron Man because they know that'd guarantee a success, but I really think the most intriguing option would be Daredevil.

-There was also this video about I guess, an unofficial Spiderman easter egg in season 1.

-On a side note, Punisher and Spiderman have a history in the comics too right? So maybe for the second film in the series, the MCU supporting character could be him.

-I don't know too too tooooo much about the comics, but I'm pretty sure Spiderman fights the Sinister Six by himself. Once the film is into fruition that could be one of the acts but unless he's got the symbiote suit he may need help; how rad would it be if he had some of the DEFENDERS on his side? I know this comes with the obvious news that was announced recently of the Sinister Six and Venom movies being non-canon to the MCU, but can we already how nonsensical of a movie that is? Sony needs to get them to be MCU canon, otherwise, don't do it.

-In fact...maybe Spiderman 3 could just be the Sinister Six? I can easily tell how that'd be a horrible idea, so maybe after the trilogy we could have a Sinister Six film like the above while the Spiderman films remain predominantly solo.

2. Daredevil season 3 and beyond and/or Defenders

- SPOIL
I half expected to hear something about the Daily Bugle in season 2, especially with it being revelealed that there was a Fisk crony working at the Bulletin, I figured it'd have been a lot of bad publicity for the newspaper...so what if the Daily Bugle like, bought the Daily Bulletin? Then in Season 3 we could even have J Jonah Jameson as a supporting character. Afterall in the comics, Urich was working for the Bugle, wasn't he?

-If that easter egg is real, perhaps we could see a flashback scene of Spidey and Urich?

-Charlie Cox talks here about a scene in the comics where Peter Parker dresses up as Daredevil on trial... the interviewer expresses enthusiasm at the idea, and I share it coz I would love to see that too. She also talks about a time where "they lived together for a while" - I'm pretty sure she was referencing the 90s cartoon when Peter Parker was on trial and Matt Murdock asked him to live with him in his penthouse (although in this continuity they weren't aware of each others' alter egos).

-I wouldn't wanna regular see Spiderman come by hanging around all the time and be a main character like the Punisher and Elektra were, but it would be cool to have him as a guest character in an episode like Stick was in season 1 and Claire was in Jessica Jones.

tl;dr

If you wish to see these characters together in the MCU, what are your ideas for doing so? I think it's important to integrate the TV show characters with the film characters in some way shape or form to make this cinematic universe feel organic, and not formulaic and routine.

What do you think?

I mean you have to have them interact on some level. Matt and Peter's relationship is pretty important to both characters.

IDGAF how it happens.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I don't know much about the comics, but this crossover seems to make a lot of sense (rights aside). I mean it would be unrealistic for them not to get mixed up in each others bidness. A short DD cameo in the Spiderman film would be great.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Every now and then I'll read a thread title like is an announcement of some news, and then I click the thread and get real disappointed.

diaspora

QoOwbGk.jpg

icespide

Banned
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that MCU TV shows will continue to make cute little nods and winks and references to the movie MCU but nothing of any significance will ever cross over between them.

The TV shows will continue to build plots around things that happened in the movies, but the movies will literally never factor in the TV shows at all. The best we'll ever get is a 10 second scene of the netflix characters in infinity war.

Spider-man will never appear in a live action marvel tv show

sadly

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that MCU TV shows will continue to make cute little nods and winks and references to the movie MCU but nothing of any significance will ever cross over between them.

The TV shows will continue to build plots around things that happened in the movies, but the movies will literally never factor in the TV shows at all. The best we'll ever get is a 10 second scene of the netflix characters in infinity war.

Spider-man will never appear in a live action marvel tv show

sadly

The deal Marvel made with Sony specifically states that Spidey would not appear in any Tv series.

I can see Kingpin appearing in the Spider-Man reboot as an adversary tho. Hell, even Daredevil in a cameo.

Shaanyboi

Banned
It could happen, but it won't. Marvel probably doesn't want it's R-rated gritty stuff with probably it's most kid-friendly and marketable IPs.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'd love to see the story about Spiderman. Daredevil, and Wolverine teaming up to stop the Punisher because he was getting to be too much to handle. It wasn't a very serious story with the Punisher ruining their efforts in a series of violent three stooges style bits. It will never happen but one can dream.

I would hope they go street level with this movie. I think if Marvel does allow some of their characters on this movie, they would prefer to get DD, Punisher, Kingpin, Elektra, etc out there.

At the end of the day, it's still a business and Marvel still doesn't have full spiderman rights. Furthermore, they currently get $0 from any spider man movies because of the merchandise deal they did a few years back. Unless Sony is paying a fee for it, they won't get any benefit from further ironman or cap exposure in this movie, but they will get a lot of benefits from having daredevil, punisher or kingpin in this movie.

On top of that, they probably want to give those netflix characters more exposure in the big screen to completely erase the stench from the old Fox and LG movies for the general audience and possibly to get them their own solo movie in phase 4.

Christian

The one time a TV show actually affected a movie - Agents of SHIELD and the beginning of Age of Ultron - people howled about it. I really don't see too much crossing over, because you can't assume everyone is familiar with the TV shows.

dorikyasu

As much as I'd love to see Daredevil, Kingpin, & Punisher interacting with new MCU Spiderman, that will never happen.
Disney/Sony would be crazy to directly mix family friendly cash cow Spiderman movie franchise with gritty and violent Netfilx gang.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
At the end of the day, it's still a business and Marvel still doesn't have full spiderman rights. Furthermore, they currently get $0 from any spider man movies because of the merchandise deal they did a few years back.Unless Sony is paying a fee for it, they won't get any benefit from further ironman or cap exposure in this movie, but they will get a lot of benefits from having daredevil, punisher or kingpin in this movie.

That is incorrect. Marvel and Sony renegotiated their deal so that Marvel bought all Spider-Man movie merchandising rights from Sony. If anything, Sony is the one getting screwed and the only way they could make money from Spidey is from the movies, which is probably why Sony was developing all these Spidey spinoff films before the Marvel Studios deal.

Don't think this will ever happen as long as Sony has the rights. As nice as Sony is about it, I don't think Daredevil will ever show up for Marvel movies, let alone Sony movies. Hell, I don't think anyone in the TV shows will show up in movies. Has it happened so far?

Don't think this will ever happen as long as Sony has the rights. As nice as Sony is about it, I don't think Daredevil will ever show up for Marvel movies, let alone Sony movies. Hell, I don't think anyone in the TV shows will show up in movies. Has it happened so far?

It has not but my understanding is that major TV actors have a film option in their contract, so it's possible.

The one time a TV show actually affected a movie - Agents of SHIELD and the beginning of Age of Ultron - people howled about it. I really don't see too much crossing over, because you can't assume everyone is familiar with the TV shows.

Haha that's cute. AOU had the mystery of where the helicarrier came from. AOS saw that plot hole and ran with it. It didn't "affect" jack shit.

Christian

Haha that's cute. AOU had the mystery of where the helicarrier came from. AOS saw that plot hole and ran with it. It didn't "affect" jack shit.

They (AOS, if that wasn't clear from context) found the location of the base the Avengers are attacking at the beginning, and communicated it to Maria Hill.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member

Netflix maybe not, but SHIELD stuff has already crossed over to the films, like the helicarrier in AoU; people who didn't watch shield still have no idea where it came from.
Also inhumans etc.

Also, feige isn't opposed to more things crossing over on both sides
Feige definitely seems to like the idea, and when one reporter used the example of Vincent D'Onforio's Kingpin possibly going up against the Webhead in a solo Spider-Man flick, he replied: "I don't know, probably. That would probably be the cool thing to do. That particular scenario has not come up yet."

They found the location of the base the Avengers are attacking at the beginning, and communicated it to Maria Hill.

Basically the same thing. The absence of a line from tony or Steve explaining where they got the location of the Scepter from allowed them to write a tie-in that works for the show, but is completely negligible to the movies.

That's going to be the nature of tie-ins for some time. Basically, movies don't give a fuck but TV will take the scraps they can get.

At most the cooperation in this instance was probably the TV execs writing to Feige and Whedon and asking if any of what they did would fuck up their narrative and got the go ahead.

BTails

It could happen, but it won't. Marvel probably doesn't want it's R-rated gritty stuff with probably it's most kid-friendly and marketable IPs.

Quoted for truth. Had this conversation with my wife last week, there's no way you'd have Daredevil, Jessica Jones, etc, ever appear in a MCU movie, since they don't want families with young kids watching all the violence on Netflix.

It's a shame, but a price we have to pay for the greatness of the Street-Level shows.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Quoted for truth. Had this conversation with my wife last week, there's no way you'd have Daredevil, Jessica Jones, etc, ever appear in a MCU movie, since they don't want families with young kids watching all the violence on Netflix.

It's a shame, but a price we have to pay for the greatness of the Street-Level shows.

People can't read ratings anymore? That sounds like one of those parents that takes their kid to a scary movie and becomes upset because it's scary.

In light of all the pasting that Batman vs Superman is getting, could the television format work for the DC series if they were produced on HBO, Netflix, Amazon, etc.? Or even the MCU for that matter? It wouldn't need to be as violent or gritty as Daredevil or Jessica Jones. Just give them decent budgets on par with what's produced on the more higher tier networks as oppose to the CW. I like the set design used in Gotham, but its writing leaves much to be desired.

I'm just posing this as a hypothetical because I know that none of this will never happen, but could a Batman television series be pulled off on an HBO budget, or would it end up looking bush league? I know that it will never happen, given the nature of the beast, but I would have been happy with Batman Vs Superman reallocating its CGI resources into a better script. Daredevil's production values weren't top of the line, but what they managed to do with what they have is a testament to what television can do. We're really at a point where tv shows rival motion pictures. And who would have thought that could happen 20 years ago?

neorej

ERMYGERD!

The TV shows assume you are familiar with the movies, the movies assume you know nothing about the TV shows.

People can't read ratings anymore? That sounds like one of those parents that takes their kid to a scary movie and becomes upset because it's scary.

I've heard parents taking their kids to see Deadpool.

On this very forum, someone was shocked that he had to explain what "Hide the zucchini" meant in PG-13 Age of Ultron to his 7year old son.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I've heard parents taking their kids to see Deadpool.

On this very forum, someone was shocked that he had to explain what "Hide the zucchini" meant in PG-13 Age of Ultron to his 7year old son.

Well in the end it's up to the parents' discretion, but it's silly to expect content creators to police themselves because someone out there doesn't know what a rating means.

GreekWolf

Nope, I don't like it. Every time Spider-Man and Daredevil get together, they inevitably do something really, really stupid.

Hey Matt, I think we can take down Silver Surfer!

Hell Yeah Parker, let's do this!

OH SHIT!

BTails

The issue is not with the rating system. I whole-heartily agree that content creators shouldn't be censored because of parents inability to, well, parent their kids. The problem lies with making direct ties between something clearly aimed for families with something clearly aimed for adults.

Imagine, for a moment, that Nintendo made a violent video game (Think Ninja Gaiden 2 or something) where the player character is slashing down badguys in a fantasy setting. They throw a couple easter eggs to hint that maybe the game takes place in Hyrule, or another land in the Zelda universe.

Despite the winks and nods for fans, they would never have that character appear in a mainline Zelda game for the same reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom