• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

Angel_DvA

I don't know why people wants Rey to be dark or whatever but it sounds terrible to me, Rey is a good person, she shows it during all the first movie, I would be pissed if she was falling in the Dark Side.

For Finn, it could be whatever, I just don't care about him, he's not a force user to me and that's cool, I like him to be a blaser dude, especially since Han died.

Poe the pilot, Rey the Jedi and Finn the blaster Warrior sounds great to me.

Surfinn

I don't know why people wants Rey to be dark or whatever but it sounds terrible to me, Rey is a good person, she shows it during all the first movie, I would be pissed if she was falling in the Dark Side.

For Finn, it could be whatever, I just don't care about him, he's not a force user to me and that's cool, I like him to be a blaser dude, especially since Han died.

Poe the pilot, Rey the Jedi and Finn the blaster Warrior sounds great to me.

She'll be tempted, just like Luke. Otherwise there's no point in even creating her character. We've already seen a slight struggle in her confrontation with Kylo.

Farsi

Rey being a great protagonist even adds more depth to it. It would be an incredible movie moment. A plot twist for the ages. I think that's what people want. They want something different instead of them just playing it safe. Blockbusters have just continuously played it safe for years now. Where's the moment people will be talking about 30 years from now?

Rey being a great protagonist even adds more depth to it. It would be an incredible movie moment. A plot twist for the ages. I think that's what people want. They want something different instead of them just playing it safe. Blockbusters have just continuously played it safe for years now. Where's the moment people will be talking about 30 years from now?

Basically, people want a new ESB.

Surfinn

I don't think we need to channel our inner ESB shocking revelation too desperately. We don't necessarily need THE defining moment, but moments that inspire and enthrall. ESB was definitely much more famous for its Vader/Luke scene, but it was built upon a TON of fantastic ideas. For me, Yoda and Luke's scene with the X-Wing is the best moment in all of cinema. It wasn't conceived as a twist or surprise, but rather to connect with what every person has inside -- the desire to overcome seemingly impossible obstacles and realize our full potential.. regardless of who we are or where we come from.

We need more moments like THAT. It's what Star Wars is all about.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
tumblr_ncl55toOcb1qccy7po1_500.gif

What a fantastic moment

mjc

I think Rey turning to the dark side would be too obvious at this point, it wouldn't really shock me. Making that a reality just for potential shock value isn't the way to do it IMO.

Surfinn

prag16

Banned
Was going to post this. The excerpt seems as though the dialogue will be as dull as it was in Lost Stars, unfortunately. Not sure I can handle pressing through another one of her novels, but I wanna know the tidbits that have to do with TFA.
Boothisman.png

Lost Stars was solid. Hopefully they do a sequel.

Surfinn

Boothisman.png

Lost Stars was solid. Hopefully they do a sequel.
Nah, everything besides the dialogue was pretty good, but it only has a handful of memorable moments.. Absolutely none of which involved the two main characters.

You wanna talk about poetry, this is it. I actually read a few chapters out loud to my GF because of how embarrassingly cringy their exchanges were. She (and our other roommate) burst with laughter. I'd honestly say the love story is prequel level quality, it's that bad.

Most other dialogue was dull at best, usually.

Pull one line of memorable dialogue between the main characters. Inexcusable for a book that's 600 pages.

She'll be tempted, just like Luke. Otherwise there's no point in even creating her character. We've already seen a slight struggle in her confrontation with Kylo.

I don't think so. When he says join me and in her reflection of her eyes you see both sabers. When her eyes open you only see the blue. She made her choice and I don't think it was a hard one. Frankly I'm sick of every single force user being seduced by the dark side.

That's actually one of my favorite lines from this movie how Ben was being seduced by the light.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I want to see the Yoda scene that was cut

Same. I wanna see the extra two hours that were cut, for that matter.

Going in for an eighth this weekend in Imax; will be final.

The SKB chase is the one I most want to see. I don't remember all the deleted stuff but wasn't there one with Finn/Phasma at the beginning that was cut?

Finally saw Star Wars TFA last night. It's funny, as I mentioned in the other OT, I was doing a really good job of avoiding spoilers all this time, but then just a couple hours before I leave for the theater, I'm playing Smash Bros. and people decided to purposefully spoil HAN DIES on the Miiverse stage. ARGH! What are the odds?

I'm strangely mixed on the movie. I didn't hate it or anything, I still can't get over the surrealism of a NEW Star Wars movie. It just... feels weird. I didn't exactly walk out of the theater going "Aww YEAH! That was great!" But I definitely want to see what happens in the next one. Hopefully, plans to go see it will turn out better.

Couple questions:

So before he turned to the dark side, Kylo's name was Ben and not Ren? I thought I was just mishearing for some reason.

I thought I saw of glimpse a few days ago of Ewan McGregor on a talk show talking about his TFA cameo. Where was he?

Was there a post credits scene? It was late, and my sister and I just wanted to hurry home.

Any good place I can catch up on Easter Eggs and references I might've missed?

Finally saw Star Wars TFA last night. It's funny, as I mentioned in the other OT, I was doing a really good job of avoiding spoilers all this time, but then just a couple hours before I leave for the theater, I'm playing Smash Bros. and people decided to purposefully spoil HAN DIES on the Miiverse stage. ARGH! What are the odds?

I'm strangely mixed on the movie. I didn't hate it or anything, I still can't get over the surrealism of a NEW Star Wars movie. It just... feels weird. I didn't exactly walk out of the theater going "Aww YEAH! That was great!" But I definitely want to see what happens in the next one. Hopefully, plans to go see it will turn out better.

Couple questions:

So before he turned to the dark side, Kylo's name was Ben and not Ren? I thought I was just mishearing for some reason.

I thought I saw of glimpse a few days ago of Ewan McGregor on a talk show talking about his TFA cameo. Where was he?

Was there a post credits scene? It was late, and my sister and I just wanted to hurry home.

1) Ben Solo is his real name. Kylo Ren is his assumed name. Han calls out to him by his real name.
2) Ewan had a voice appearance only, when Rey has the flashback.
3) No postcredits.
4) I don't have any links on hand but I'm sure you can google TFA easter eggs and itll pop up.

Surfinn

Couple questions:

Right, he was Ben.

In the flashback scene, he's the person at the end who says "these are your first steps..."

There isn't a post credits scene.

PLEASE see this movie more then once; felt exactly the same as you and now I love the film. It's infinitely better upon repeat viewings.

sphagnum

Banned

Yes, Ben Solo. Ren is a title (Knights of Ren) that just coincidentally rhymes.

He does a voice over during the vision sequence: "These are your first steps."

No. SW doesn't do post credits scenes.

edit: whoa, way late

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I don't think that there was a "Yoda scene," but Frank Oz recorded some new dialog for the lightsaber Force vision scene, but they didn't end up using any of that new stuff and opted for dialog from the old films instead.

Word is (according to Collider) a day was shot and it was a scene involving him and Luke discussing whats to come

sphagnum

Banned
Word is (according to Collider) a day was shot and it was a scene involving him and Luke discussing whats to come

Considering this isn't in the novelization and MSW and Millenniumfalcon's shot lists never mentioned anything like this, I don't think this is real.

bachikarn

If this line was written for the prequels it would have been "Do or do not, no try there is".

It annoys me how overboard they went with his dialogue inversions. If IIRC, he only really obviously did it before he revealed himself to be a Yoda. Once he did, it went down significantly.

jackal27

Banned
Best scene in Star Wars. Yoda was bad ass in ep V.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMUKGTkiWik

I well up every time at Yoda describing the force. No joke. It never even hit me until I watched the movies again last year after not having seen them for 10.

It's everything that was missing from the prequels. The magic, the spirit, the wonder.

Hearing Maz describe that same force also had me tearing up in The Force Awkens. Same for when we hear Yoda say "It's Energy... Surrounds us..." During Rey's vision. So perfect.

Top Bottom