• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Sponsored]Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War: Next-Gen Feature Analysis: Ray Tracing + 120Hz Support!

I love that they keep making all these RT vids for CW, yet no mention that the game is literally unplayable right now on XSX cause of the constant crashes.

The topic of the video's on ray-traced shadows vs. normal shadow maps, not performance. Also in case you missed it, it's a Sponsored video. Doubt Activision want them bringing up performance issues due to a weird update on their end.

The topic of the video's on ray-traced shadows vs. normal shadow maps, not performance. Also in case you missed it, it's a Sponsored video. Doubt Activision want them bringing up performance issues due to a weird update on their end.

The goal of sponsored videos is to increase sales. This game doesnt deserve any attention or the increased sales if it doesnt fucking work properly.

THEAP99

Banned
The ray tracing literally isn't noticable in this 98 of the time. Bad implementation unlike spiderman

The goal of sponsored videos is to increase sales. This game doesnt deserve any attention or the increased sales if it doesnt fucking work properly.

Then take it up with Activision, not Digital Foundry. It's their game, their mess of an update.

How can people expect an outlet that is supposed to be impartial remain so when they are taking money from everyone left right and center?

How do you expect these types of outlets to have funds to compete with established giants (IGN, Gamespot, etc.) and keep payrolls going plus equipment maintained, if they don't do sponsored content every now and again?

Practically every streamer or content creator I know of, outside of extremely niche ones, have done at least a few sponsored things by now. Especially in current times where even if you have a Patreon, you can't be asked to count on that as reliably as the past because of how many people are getting screwed over because of shutdowns and business closures, sponsored content is a safety net.

So long as you don't abuse it, shouldn't be a problem. And technically speaking, you can't trust reviews from pretty much any semi-big reviewer if you're worried about perks from sponsorships or early-access influencing their viewpoints. How do you think some of these major games keep getting 10s and 9s? It ain't just because of any (supposed) quality.

Last edited:

GHG

How do you expect these types of outlets to have funds to compete with established giants (IGN, Gamespot, etc.) and keep payrolls going plus equipment maintained, if they don't do sponsored content every now and again?

Practically every streamer or content creator I know of, outside of extremely niche ones, have done at least a few sponsored things by now. Especially in current times where even if you have a Patreon, you can't be asked to count on that as reliably as the past because of how many people are getting screwed over because of shutdowns and business closures, sponsored content is a safety net.

So long as you don't abuse it, shouldn't be a problem. And technically speaking, you can't trust reviews from pretty much any semi-big reviewer if you're worried about perks from sponsorships or early-access influencing their viewpoints. How do you think some of these major games keep getting 10s and 9s? It ain't just because of any (supposed) quality.

Gamers Nexus are a good example of a channel that does well without needing to do this kind of sponsored content.

I don't trust review outlets either BTW. Steam reviews and general user impressions (from places like here) are far more valuable to me.

DF are now starting to muddy the water. Considering we know they've taken money from Activision to cover this game how can we be sure their next coverage for a game from Activision will remain unbiased?

Just because everyone else is doing it, it doesn't make it ok.

Uh so apparently, zero mentions of Xbox in their COD video so....this might've been Sony-sponsored? Interesting....

Guess that kills the narrative DF's on MS's payroll :LOL:

Gamers Nexus are a good example of a channel that does well without needing to do this kind of sponsored content.

I don't trust review outlets either BTW. Steam reviews and general user impressions (from places like here) are far more valuable to me.

DF are now starting to muddy the water. Considering we know they've taken money from Activision to cover this game how can we be sure their next coverage for a game from Activision will remain unbiased?

But GN is also one person, likely a smaller team, different studio pipeline and a bit of a different focus (he rarely touches on consoles specifically).

Also it seems this might be Activision-sponsored, but lack of any Xbox mentions at all also hints this could actually be Sony-sponsored through Activision (or just Sony-sponsored in general).

Last edited:

Night.Ninja

Banned

😄 does he do well? I bet he wishes he was sponsored too.

I swear some of you are retard, living In a fantasy world of stupidness.

Said developer goes to digital foundry to highlight the new tech they're using on the next gen consoles what is the big deal.

Take you tin foil hats off.

Donarudo

Uh so apparently, zero mentions of Xbox in their COD video so....this might've been Sony-sponsored? Interesting....

But GN is also one person, likely a smaller team, different studio pipeline and a bit of a different focus (he rarely touches on consoles specifically).

Also it seems this might be Activision-sponsored, but lack of any Xbox mentions at all also hints this could actually be Sony-sponsored through Activision (or just Sony-sponsored in general).

The game has a marketing deal with Sony, and since this is basically an ad, it make sense that they are demonstrating the game on Sony consoles.

GHG

GN employs a couple of people AFAIK but yes, they have much smaller footprint than most other channels that do similar work, but they are regarded as the most trust worthy source in the industry for a reason.

I know I'm being idealistic but IMO it's what's necessary for this kind of hardware/software analysis. It's data and statistics driven, and due to the fact that the vast majority of viewers don't have the tools/know how to reproduce the data they do it's important that they can be 100% trusted.

😄 does he do well? I bet he wishes he was sponsored too.

I swear some of you are retard, living In a fantasy world of stupidness.

Said developer goes to digital foundry to highlight the new tech they're using on the next gen consoles what is the big deal.

Take you tin foil hats off.

Actually he doesn't. Not being sponsored and refusing approaches/offers is precisely the reason he's done so well and is as trusted as he is across the industry. It's a rare example in this space of integrity leading to success.

I'll ignore your insults by the way, if you want to have a reasonable discussion about this then feel free.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

The ROI on those shadows is not great. Honestly, putting that horsepower into more detailed assets would have been better, as the lighting/shadowing isn't something that jumps off the screen in videos of this game. Some character models in cutscenes (the guy on the helicopter for example) look pretty subpar for next-gen. I know it's a sponsored piece, so they have to hype it up. However, this might be the least-impressive use of RT so far. Then again, I've seen a few scenes of what looks like an underground section in the zombie mode that did show off some nice use of lighting.

The game has a marketing deal with Sony, and since this is basically an ad, it make sense that they are demonstrating the game on Sony consoles.

I just find it a bit funny that some of the people who usually harp on DF being in MS's pockets (without any evidence of it) aren't at least partially considering they could be in Sony's pockets with a video like this (considering the interesting omission of Xbox and PC platforms even named there).

Not saying you're wrong and that this likely could be on Activision enforcing the marketing deal they have with Sony, but didn't the recent Godfall video at least mention PC?

EDIT: Just watching it again now, it doesn't. And that's a timed console exclusive. Kinda two-for-two then between that and the COD one tbh.

I'm not saying it's wrong or anything at all, and they disclose the vids are sponsored right off the bat. But it's the murky nature of the sponsorships that's curiously humorous for me at the expense of people who keep trying to label DF as shills around here. Isn't it ironic two different publishers with games that have marketing deals and/or timed exclusivity on PS5, conveniently leave out mentions of any other gaming platforms and even PC?

That's all I'm finding funny, but it's in jest.

GN employs a couple of people AFAIK but yes, they have much smaller footprint than most other channels that do similar work, but they are regarded as the most trust worthy source in the industry for a reason.

I know I'm being idealistic but IMO it's what's necessary for this kind of hardware/software analysis. It's data and statistics driven, and due to the fact that the vast majority of viewers don't have the tools/know how to reproduce the data they do it's important that they can be 100% trusted.

You're right, in an ideal world this type of sponsorship stuff wouldn't be required, but if it happens to be, at least they let you know it's sponsored right off the bat. And again, if it doesn't become a regular thing with every other video, I don't necessarily see the big issue, integrity doesn't have to be compromised overall and there are ways around avoiding speaking on things not favorable to the product in a way the audience can pick up on, while still keeping the sponsor satisfied.

There's a bit of an art to it. They still do the testing, they still get the accurate results, but if it's for sponsored content then omission of the unfavorable data doesn't mean that info suddenly ceases to exist. They can always also bring up that other data in other content that isn't sponsored (an article for example through Eurogamer, in the case of DF).

phil_t98

#SonyToo

did you see the sponsored sony video a few weeks back as well?

Top Bottom