• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square CEO wants to identify existing IP that could be upgraded to AAA status

bender

What time is it?
I'll take Parasite Eve if they make it an actual shooter.
3070401-box_t3b.png

njean777

Didn’t KH3 sell very well? I mean idk about dumping huge money into 4 as it’s an established and confusing ip. But they still have that game coming.

YukiOnna

Didn’t KH3 sell very well? I mean idk about dumping huge money into 4 as it’s an established and confusing ip. But they still have that game coming.
It did, KH is pretty much their 3rd major IP right after FF & DQ. What the new President wants to do from the past 2 Q&A's is:
1) Shorten the dev cycle for their major franchises (FF, DQ, KH)
2) Find another IP(s) in their library they can invest further into and establish like that.

Ozzie666

Not that I think it would sell, but an AAA Einhander remaster or sequel would be nice!

But seriously, Final Fantasy Tactics sequel or something? wouldn't it print cash on the Switch especially?

maxresdefault.jpg

A reimagining developed by Platinum Games, who will also be given free reign on the story(so it can be bonkers).

sddefault.jpg

A reimagining by either AKI (they made the GOOD wrestling games) or a studio who’s good at 3d arena fighters(maybe it could end up more like a modern Power Stone). Or better yet, turn this into a 2d all-star fighting game for Square Enix characters, and add some of the original Ergheiz cast on the side. Have Arcsys develop the 2d game.

maxresdefault.jpg

A reimagining, but Square Enix will instead outsource it to a competent shooter dev team from the west this time around.

Last edited:

Pejo

Gold Member
With their current game directors? Nothing.

In the right hands? Xenogears, the "Mana" series, proper Soul Blazer sequel. Maybe Actraiser if they keep the gameplay improvements from the remake but fire the fuck out of the art team and make qualitiy assets for it.

My #1 most wanted thing from them though is to do a "Turn based Fan" remake of FFVII. Where they take the assets of Final Fantasy 7: Ever Crisis, re-create all of the 3D models and pre-rendered backgrounds like they did in that game, and give us the FULL FF7 classic experience with updated visuals and a remix soundtrack (optional). I would pay $70 US dollars for a non-Nomura'd remake of FF7 with basically everything as it was but nicer models/4k pre-rendered backgrounds.

HoodWinked

Gold Member
Feels like Square Enix may be the MVP for worst management of IPs, they sold off Tomb Raider and Deus Ex for $300 million then Crystal Dynamics sells Tomb Raider to Amazon for $600 million. Also they pretty much got hosed on the Marvel licensed games they didn't do particularly well and meant they weren't building their own IPs.

Final Fantasy is like their only solidly AAA franchise, while DQ and KH are trending down. Maybe Nier Automata but that seems almost like a fluke. See a couple people bring up Parasite Eve but they completely squandered that franchise.
Also it was a mistake to not follow up Sleeping Dogs it could have been built into a AAA game.

Give me this with RT path tracing.
Secret_of_Evermore.jpg

Go with the same style that the game manual had. Which was a somewhat modern and nice 3D look on some of the characters, some drawn.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Just make a good Final Fantasy game.

They had Hitman which was amazing, and they told the studio that they suck.

Last edited:
Top Bottom