• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix announces "biggest line-up ever" for Gamescom, more announcements soon

SCB3

Personally hoping for a Hitman Season 2 and a Kingdom Hearts 1&2 collection for PS4/Xbox One/PC

Plus Deus Ex MD looks great so far, very much a continuation of HR which is what I wanted

I think they were supposed to work on X-3 but the reception to the novel and the audio drama was sour to say the least.

Yep. For better or for worse, though, budget might have already been committed to the project. Sad!

Makes me wonder if the FFXII:TZA release will include teases for some new Ivalice project too. Could be that's what Itou is working on (lol).

Asd202

If we compare when they started making hints about FFX-3 to the purported start time of Mobius, along with some of the staff who would have been on said projects, I think the former turned into the latter.

It'd also explain why it was canned, since this was around the time Matsuda took over and they mostly stopped rebooting franchises on mobile instead of console, especially for the bigger ones.

Makes sense. As far as I'm concerned I hope Toriyama will stay on mobile games.

Didn't they explicitly state at some point that after the XV debacle they're going to delay announcements until games are further along? Maybe I'm imagining it, but I could have sworn they straight up said that they want to move a bit closer to a Fallout 4 style announcement for future games.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Didn't they explicitly state at some point that after the XV debacle they're going to delay announcements until games are further along? Maybe I'm imagining it, but I could have sworn they straight up said that they want to move a bit closer to a Fallout 4 style announcement for future games.

Nearly the entire industry did.

But why? There's still KH3, DQ XI and 7 remake. IMO XVI is not coming out for a long time.

Square Enix LOOOOOVES announcing games. Not actually releasing them.

Anyway I can see there being a big 30th anniversary event next year with FF7R, XIV expansion, Dissidia console port and XVI announcement along with smaller port stuff like FF9 PS4 ect.

Maybe more FF PC ports? I & II still aren't on it. And I guess more ports too, that unlikely IX Vita rumour could still come true.

But then, that might all wait until TGS.

Kuraudo

Banned

There's a big difference between announcing a game before it goes into production and then not releasing it for a decade, and announcing a game two or three years in advance. Both FFVIIR and DQXI were announced over a year ago and are both probably at least another year out, so SE still seem happy to announce titles a couple of years ahead of release.

BumRush

Final Fantasy 6 remake for NX confirmed.

latest

We can all dream...

Durante

I just wanted to quote this particular gem out.
That is amazing.

In terms of "more announcements", I doubt it will happen so soon but I'd appreciate a FF12 PC announcement. I want that one a lot more than 15 and I think it's also a better fit for the PC audience than pretty much any other single player FF.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
That is amazing.

In terms of "more announcements", I doubt it will happen so soon but I'd appreciate a FF12 PC announcement. I want that one a lot more than 15 and I think it's also a better fit for the PC audience than pretty much any other single player FF.
So far the pattern behavior has been to not announce PC ports until after the PlayStation versions are out, so I'd be surprised if they change that for anything that's been in development for at least a year or two given they seemed to mass sign marketing deals for their entire game line-up back then.

ebil

Gamescom is a pretty big PC gaming show, so if they have something more targeted toward that audience, it'd be an appropriate venue.

They make some amount of f2p games and FF14 has to have a new expansion eventually, so there are options on the table.

It's of course also Europe's primary gaming conference, so anything they feel is especially well targeted at Europeans also fits.
The new expansion for FF14 is almost guaranteed to be announced during the NA fanfest, in October. The most we'll have at Gamescom will be some teasing for patch 3.4.

Begaria

Looking forward to seeing more DQBuilders and World of Final Fantasy footage ahead of their English releases.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Hoping there's some good surprise announcements there, but iirc Japanese games don't really get announced too often at Gamescom.

Mcdohl

They better release a bombastic FFXV trailer after Gamescom 2015's massive disappointment
(DAWN trailer)

Some Nobody

I don't really see any announcements here tbh. Every rumor we've heard, from Verendus' ridiculous list (Parasite Eve, FF6 remake, FF16) to the Siliconera's assurance of a new Front Mission--none of them really "fit" Gamescom like that. TGS, PSX, or next year's E3 seem like S-E's next major places to announce stuff.

Like I wouldn't expect to see FF16 until 15 was out. 7 isn't (or shouldn't be) the new mainline so they could start hyping that with next year's E3. Especially since if it's true 16 was supposed to be 15 it should be pretty far into production.

Parasite Eve if it existed would be more of a PSX thing since it's well-known as a Playstation franchise, while Front Mission is small and far more popular in Japan than here so TGS.

Only thing I could see coming from Gamescom would be like...a Sleeping Dogs 2. United Front is working on something, and SD is one of the more popular cult hits from last gen.

inner-G

Banned
I think they were supposed to work on X-3 but the reception to the novel and the audio drama was sour to say the least. SE was definitely planning something with X at some point heck they still might.

Maybe they'll do the right thing and make X-3 the Braska, Jecht and Auron prequel that needs to be made.

Maybe they'll do the right thing and make X-3 the Braska, Jecht and Auron prequel that needs to be made.

I feel like Metal Gear Solid 3 and Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep are reasonably good proof that 'tragic prequel with doomed protagonist(s)' is a winning formula. Arguably that's true of FF7 Crisis Core as well (as far as its ending is concerned, anyway).

World of FF PC announcement would be a pleasant surprise. I would like to see more PC enhanced ports like FF9. Come on SE, Vagrant Story and Parasite Eve PC!

World of FF PC announcement would be a pleasant surprise. I would like to see more PC enhanced ports like FF9. Come on SE, Vagrant Story and Parasite Eve PC!

Not happening for World of FF. It's coming but only after PS versions release. It always have been announced as a "First on PS4/PSV" game.

Son Of D

I wonder when we're going to see Final Fantasy 16 announced. When was the last time there *wasn't* a forthcoming announced numbered FF game? Right after FFX, maybe, or was FFXI already announced when FFX came out?

IIRC IX, X and XI were announced at the same time. Could see XVI being announced next year as part of the 30th anniversary celebrations.

Sesha

Could we expect any new announcements at all? Sleeping Dogs 2, maybe. Parasite Eve is TGS material, and Thief 5 feels too soon.

I'll believe it when I see it. Only Eidos titles have done that so far. If they're supposed to delay announcements, they announced the Final Fantasy VII Remake way too early.

Nearly the entire industry did.

One wouldn't really think so by the look of it. So far only Capcom and to a lesser extent Bethesda and Eidos are doing that.

mortal

Gold Member
I honestly keep forgetting that they've already announced FFVIIR.

Even though I'd much rather they hold off on announcing anything new too soon, honestly after FFXV drops, I'm more than ready to move on to XVI and the future. Between the remakes and remasters, almost everything SE Japan put out is too familiar.

I just want to be surprised by a new world, new story, new characters, new battle systems, and new art direction.

All around fresh start, no rollover from past projects or sequels within sequels, or crossovers titles, or another damn remaster.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
One wouldn't really think so by the look of it. So far only Capcom and to a lesser extent Bethesda and Eidos are doing that.

EA:
Titanfall 2: Announced in March, revealed in June, releasing in October.
Battlefield 1: Announced in May, revealed in June, releasing in October.

Activision Blizzard:
Destiny: Rise of Iron: Announced in June, releasing in September.
Call of Duty: Infinity Warfare: Announced in May, releasing in November.

Ubisoft:
Watch Dogs 2: Announced in May, releasing in November.

I guess Take-Two and Warner aren't announcing games with shorter windows, but then again, they're not announcing much in general.

Chobel

EA:
Titanfall 2: Announced in March, revealed in June, releasing in October.
Battlefield 1: Announced in May, revealed in June, releasing in October.

Activision Blizzard:
Destiny: Rise of Iron: Announced in June, releasing in September.
Call of Duty: Infinity Warfare: Announced in May, releasing in November.

Ubisoft:
Watch Dogs 2: Announced in May, releasing in November.

I guess Take-Two and Warner aren't announcing games with shorter windows, but then again, they're not announcing much in general.

Warner only announced one of their 2017 games: Injustice 2. I'm sure they have more games than that for 2017 (Shadow of Mordor 2 and maybe another game?), which will have to be announced in 2017.

Top Bottom