• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix has demanded the removal of alleged details on the next Tomb Raider "Jawbreaker" that were published last week

Draugoth

Gold Member

Crystal Dynamics has filed a DMCA request via Patreon to Last Stand Media after hosts on one of its podcasts read out a script which is reportedly being used to cast actors for the next Tomb Raider game.

The script, which was widely reported on, was featured in an episode of the Sacred Symbols podcast. According to host Colin Moriarty, he was contacted by Patreon and asked to remove the offending material, or risk being suspended from the platform.

According to Moriarty, the DMCA came via Square Enix. The Japanese publisher has agreed to sell Crystal Dynamics and the Tomb Raider IP to Embracer, but the completion of the deal is still subject to various regulatory and other external approvals.

“They DMCA’d Patreon, to have them ask us to take down the offending audio of us talking about the new Tomb Raider game,” Colin said in a video discussing the situation.

Nautilus

Banned
So this just gives more credibility to the rumor.

Of course, its a script, and I doubt the game is anywhere near done, so its always possible they can go back. But this fucking sucks, to tell you the truth. The first game of the trilogy was such a masterpiece...

ManaByte

Yea Patreon doesn't fuck around with this stuff.

DanielRPK was posting a bunch of WB Animation concept art to his Patreon including art from their Spiderverse-style Batman Beyond movie and a Funko POP animated movie, then David Sandberg (the director of Shazam) joined his Patreon and like the next day WB sent Patreon the DMCA.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Oh, part 2 is already starting?

Dis Gonna Be Good Jason Momoa GIF

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
But they don't own Tomb Raider anymore 🤔
Edit, still their property...okay
But still unless the game is releasing under them I can't see why they bother.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Yea Patreon doesn't fuck around with this stuff.

DanielRPK was posting a bunch of WB Animation concept art to his Patreon including art from their Spiderverse-style Batman Beyond movie and a Funko POP animated movie, then David Sandberg (the director of Shazam) joined his Patreon and like the next day WB sent Patreon the DMCA.

Yep. It's a shitty circumstance, but then, a user of Patreon can't pretend that their content is not monetized; that's all Patreon is is a monetization service. I don't know how newsmen are supposed to make money these days, but I can see why Patreon is probably not the right venue to do it. You're there to make money off of your own unique content, not somebody else's IP (whether or not this script is a legit leak.)

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I've got to say, from the synopsis presented in the link in the OP, I'd play that. I'm a TR fan and this doesn't sound half bad, not at all the way it was being represented in the other thread. It sounds like she is going to be strong and confident here. 🤷‍♂️

radewagon

The first game of the trilogy was such a masterpiece...
high five arrested development GIF by HULU

Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed pretty much every Tomb Raider game since it was taken from Core (the OG is good, but the rest were meh). And while I do have a soft spot for all the clever banter in Legend, if I'm being honest, all of the narratives are pretty much pants.

Fbh

So basically Square confirms it to be true.

Colin made Dustin and Chris act out the scene in the script.

Was listening to this today while doing some errands around town and had some people staring at me as I couldn't help laughing at this.
The over the top British accent from Chris + cookie cutter Marvel-wannabe writing was hilarious

Last edited:
Deal is still underway and such leaks could devalue their property i guess.

I think Embraced group should reduce their generous offer by 50 million for this irresponsible behaviour by SE.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Eh, a DMCA takedown request is a DMCA takedown request. In this case it's leaked information which is being used by others to paint some kind of picture about SE's IP that may or may not even be true. A picture meant to be unflattering to them and their IP, no less.

I am not familiar with this Colin Moriarty guy's content (seen the name before) but he kind of comes off like a carnival barker and huckster if his first reaction is to draw attention to the DMCA request rather than treating it like the standard and potentially serious legal issue that it is.

supernova8

Banned
The script has already been ....outed.. (pun intended of course) so I don't see the point of them DMCA'ing LSM (via Patreon) other than trying to harass/hassle LSM (and by extension scare others) into not talking about insider info they have from here onward.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Just listened to that script, it’s real, and it’s terrible, I’m not surprised that Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics want it removed, it’s not doing the IP any type of justice, laser tombs lmao

I feel sorry for Embracer, got their hands tied behind their backs until the deal closes. Cheap deal though but if I were a shareholder I would’ve wanted them to step in and shred the script. How is this Tomb Raider? Sounds like some super chatty sci-fi movie.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
LOL ERA turns their brains off and can't discuss this leak because mods the source was "bigoted" and thereby untrustworthy, then it gets DMCA'd because it was 100% real :messenger_tears_of_joy:
m530atM.jpg

Era are weirdly worried about women showing any form of skin in a computer game. They certainly are a weird bunch and to be honest, when you're that uptight you just know they're into some right weird deviant shit behined closed doors.

Lady Jane

Banned
m530atM.jpg

Era are weirdly worried about women showing any form of skin in a computer game. They certainly are a weird bunch and to be honest, when you're that uptight you just know they're into some right weird deviant shit behined closed doors.

It's not about women covering up. It's about not celebrating attractive white women.

Wildebeest

m530atM.jpg

I stay up and night worrying about fictional video game characters being too cold due to not wearing enough layers.

Top Bottom