• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix On The Popularity Gap Between Final Fantasy And Dragon Quest In The West

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It may seem weird considering dragonball, but the people who like dragonball are not the same people who play games and are attracted generally to JRPGs, especially a franchise like Dragon quest.

Also the stigma that cartoons are for kids would really hurt the brand especially in the 90s where that was the main viewpoint

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Maybe back in the SNES days Enix should have published a couple of DQ games instead of say Soulblazer or fucking Robotrek. Also, Enix doesn't seem to curate the same sort of fan following for its titles after initial release the way Square has. Either get the original release, maybe a portable version years later or fuck you, too bad. Why VP and the SO games never released on PSN? Because of a PSP version that most people aren't going to play and released almost a decade prior?

Dragon Quest really needs a collection release here. You give us maybe 1 through 6 on one disc and it can give gamers context of the series. The rereleases on phones are a good start but I think we need a better excuse to at least try alot of the games, and thus giving us that context.

It may seem weird considering dragonball, but the people who like dragonball are not the same people who play games and are attracted generally to JRPGs, especially a franchise like Dragon quest.

Also the stigma that cartoons are for kids would really hurt the brand especially in the 90s where that was the main viewpoint
True, Dragon warrior at the time didn't let us really feel that until the 7th installment in the west. When dragon Quest 8 did come out not many of us understood what series that actually meant. 9 was the first time I feel like everyone over here understood and by that point it was viewed as a handheld game first.

He'll even people who know rpgs might not know alot about dragon Quest just because of how little the series was played up here. You kinda have to force hype culture.

Cheerilee

Maybe if Enix of Japan would stop kicking the legs out from under Dragon Quest in America, people might have confidence that the next game is even going to exist in this country at all.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I think people are just too used to FF's storytelling and conventions that I'm not sure if people would ever get used to DQ's minimalist approach.

I think when you have everything from Tales to SMT to Kiseki series finding a western audience, its not that RPG players are sticking with FF and nothing else. Those games aren't expected to put up FF numbers tho, so maybe the problem is Enix's expectations. Would they be happy with DQ having a niche SMT sized fanbase here, or Tales?

They are getting closer by final Fantasy getting worse for me
Also if da builders had actual multiplayer I would have bought it on principle like I do other games

Debirudog

I think another problem I have with Square-Enix is that apparently if a game does moderately successful, then it's just not good enough to keep the effort enough. Miyake stated this when regarding VIII's marketing overseas.

“But we didn’t want to give up the core element that made the game Dragon Quest. The game did have some modest sales overseas, but it wasn’t anywhere close to the level of Final Fantasy sales.”

The company can't expect to simply have amazing FF levels of sales just over installment. Stuff like this takes time such as building good will and capitalizing on good word of mouth. It's a similar situation with IX where sales were actually pretty good but Square Enix never decided to capitalize on it.

Fraxin

Nice. I always knew the Nintendo ones would get decent sales. What about Heroes and Builders, how do they compare?

As I recall, only DQIX sold quiet well.

DQIV and DQV sold way much worse that we wouldn't have gotten DQVI if it wasn't for NIntendo.

I think DQVII didn't do any good lately.

Has anyone mentioned how the west loves dragon ball z and essentially is the same aesthetics as DQ?

Perhaps, make the main hero look more like goku or gohan?

Fraxin

Didn't the PS2 era DQs do good as well?

We only had DQVIII in that era.

I think it did pretty good, not sure if it was cause the game itself or due to the FFXII demo that came with it.

New DQ titles in the main series seems to sell well (if we use DQVIII and DQIX as examples) however, the remakes and spin offs don't seem to do any good.

novabolt

I think it did pretty good, not sure if it was cause the game itself or due to the FFXII demo that came with it.

New DQ titles in the main series seems to sell well (if we use DQVIII and DQIX as examples) however, the remakes and spin offs don't seem to do any good.

I wish 11 all the best.

CO_Andy

DW7 was the Earthbound of its era

Why play this game that looks it came from the stone age when you can play this exploding eye sockets awesome sauce Final Fantasy?

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Why play this game that looks it came from the stone age when you can play this exploding eye sockets awesome sauce Final Fantasy?

DW 7 looks worse than Earthbound though so its an even harder sell than that.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

It was an utterly hard sell. Playing a game that looks like a early SNES game but with uglier 3D backgrounds in a post-Dreamcast, PS2-immanent world.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It was an utterly hard sell. Playing a game that looks like a early SNES game but with uglier 3D backgrounds in a post-Dreamcast, PS2-immanent world.

The only thing that looks better in DQ 7 (PSX) than DQ 6 (SFC) are the monsters. DQ 6 is a pretty late Super Famicom game. DQ 7 is an extremely late Playstation game.

DQ 7 3DS is fortunately nice and pretty. Only real issue is that they reuse too many of the NPC models. They probably could have used another 10-20 unique character models.

RDreamer

Back then I think I would have got over the graphics, but every review or piece of writing I read about the game said the game was a terrible slow slog, especially the beginning. Almost nothing painted it as terribly exciting at all.

I also didn't have a ton of money back then and DW7 never went down in price like other games at the time.

That's because they have a stupid strategy regarding west. The serie happened so late in Europe for exemple. And you wont build anything with spin offs, which are targeting fans.

They have all the Dragon Quest games running on Unity. From 1 to 8. It's a multiplatform engine. It should be on every platforms under the sun. That's what you do when want to make a serie have more success.

NolbertoS

I kinda disagree on SE's stance on why DQ isn't popular out West. I remember in the days of the Nintendo Power free DQ game, not many people were excited to play a game that required you to input commands. I remember EB Games and other gaming atores refusing to give any credit to trade in DQ I at that time. I honestly think the main reason FF took off was because of FFVII advertising done by Sony, in which they ahowed more about Cloud blowing up stuff more than actual gameplay and Cloud riding a motorcycle out of Shinra Building, which again with the CGI made it look like a Motorcycle game, Shooting game or even an action adventure, which we know now is nothing of those genres, but give Sony credit for hyping it good. Nowadays with RPGs in general trying to move to ARPG, SE is hoping more people will give the series a chance. Unless SE buys a Superbowl ad hyping the DQ series with realistic graphics, can't see the series unfortunately making headway here strongly. I wish DQ were as popular as FF out West.

Cheerilee

Didn't the PS2 era DQs do good as well?

AFAIK, Dragon Warrior 1 on the NES sold ~500,000, but Nintendo published it and printed more than they needed and gave the rest away for free in Nintendo Power.

DW2-4 (published by Enix) on the NES sold ~100,000 each (with conservative print runs that sold out quickly). So Enix gave up on America and sat out the SNES era.

Final Fantasy 7's American success motivated Enix to try again, and Dragon Warrior 7 sold ~200,000 (high for a PSX RPG, but low for FF7). I saw a number before the American launch saying that Enix of Japan expected DQ7 to sell 2 million units in America. So Enix of Japan gave up on America again.

Dragon Quest 8 apparently sold ~500,000. "We put a lot of effort into Dragon Quest VIII. The game did have some modest sales overseas, but it wasn’t anywhere close to the level of Final Fantasy sales." Oh well, time to give up on America again.

Nintendo of America published DQ9. ~400,000. The remakes of 4-6 sold ~100,000. Time to give up on America again.

Raw64life

Also didn't help that the PS2 was already out when it was released in the west.

DQIII and DQIV were also released in the west on NES after the SNES was already out. Sent to die.

DQ in the west has always been a low priority going back 30 years. When they try (DWI, DQVIII, DQIX) it succeeds, but they rarely try.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Dragon Quest really needs a collection release here. You give us maybe 1 through 6 on one disc and it can give gamers context of the series. The rereleases on phones are a good start but I think we need a better excuse to at least try alot of the games, and thus giving us that context.

True, Dragon warrior at the time didn't let us really feel that until the 7th installment in the west. When dragon Quest 8 did come out not many of us understood what series that actually meant. 9 was the first time I feel like everyone over here understood and by that point it was viewed as a handheld game first.

He'll even people who know rpgs might not know alot about dragon Quest just because of how little the series was played up here. You kinda have to force hype culture.

exactly

AFAIK, Dragon Warrior 1 on the NES sold ~500,000, but Nintendo published it and printed more than they needed and gave the rest away for free in Nintendo Power.

DW2-4 (published by Enix) on the NES sold ~100,000 each (with conservative print runs that sold out quickly). So Enix gave up on America and sat out the SNES era.

Final Fantasy 7's American success motivated Enix to try again, and Dragon Warrior 7 sold ~200,000 (high for a PSX RPG, but low for FF7). I saw a number before the American launch saying that Enix of Japan expected DQ7 to sell 2 million units in America. So Enix of Japan gave up on America again.

Dragon Quest 8 apparently sold ~500,000. "We put a lot of effort into Dragon Quest VIII. The game did have some modest sales overseas, but it wasn't anywhere close to the level of Final Fantasy sales." Oh well, time to give up on America again.

Nintendo of America published DQ9. ~400,000. The remakes of 4-6 sold ~100,000. Time to give up on America again.

The NPD figures I have are:
Dragon Quest 8 - 582k
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS) - 85k

DQVIII was also the first Dragon Quest where they even bothered with a PAL localisation, so it wasn't all about America with it and most subsequent games/remakes.

Once again showing why Square-Enix has spent so much time chasing the ghost of FFVII. It does suck that DQ here was abandoned until DQ/W VII (which I didn't care for) and maybe it was too late for DQVIII which I enjoyed a lot.

Fraxin

In a year with a gigantic DB push. If they fail to really promote it this time then they are clueless.

That's Square Enix for you, I think the franchise has a better chance if it's being advertised by either Sony or Nintendo.

Trying to remember a game where Square Enix did a good job in the promotion. FF was thanks to Sony. KH was either due to Disney or because the game contains Disney characters.

A collection will do nothing but just sell the game to an audience already sold on the game. What DQ needs to reach parity with FF’s brand is very simple.

It needs to find its “Skyrim/Red Dead Redemption/Witcher 3” breakout moment.

Develop & release a single DQ game that possesses:
-A lot of the compelling components that is highly appealing to a vast majority of gamers
-Stellar marketing that is crystal clear on messaging & perfectly executed throughout marketing cycle without fault.
-Ensure the game’s hype is as high as it can possibly be and be seen as a “must have” by as many influencers as possible
-Deliver on the game’s quality to the best that it can be and live up to all expectations.

I’m not saying this will elevate it to a 20 million seller in the veins of Skyrim or Red Dead, but those games succeeded in spite of its IP, not because of it. Skyrim elevated Elder Scrolls, not the other way round. Same with Redemption for Red Dead and Wild Hunt for The Witcher.

Can DQXI be that game? Who knows.

But it sure as hell ain't going to be any of the currently available DQ games.

A collection will do nothing but just sell the game to an audience already sold on the game. What DQ needs to reach parity with FF’s brand is very simple.

It needs to find its “Skyrim/Red Dead Redemption/Witcher 3” breakout moment.

Develop & release a single DQ game that possesses:
-A lot of the compelling components that is highly appealing to a vast majority of gamers
-Stellar marketing that is crystal clear on messaging & perfectly executed throughout marketing cycle without fault.
-Ensure the game’s hype is as high as it can possibly be and be seen as a “must have” by as many influencers as possible
-Deliver on the game’s quality to the best that it can be and live up to all expectations.

I’m not saying this will elevate it to a 20 million seller in the veins of Skyrim or Red Dead, but those games succeeded in spite of its IP, not because of it. Skyrim elevated Elder Scrolls, not the other way round. Same with Redemption for Red Dead and Wild Hunt for The Witcher.

Can DQXI be that game? Who knows.

But it sure as hell ain't going to be any of the currently available DQ games.

Skyrim had momentum going for it. Morrowind was a beloved game that was considered the best of it's franchise, and a system seller for the Xbox. That was the turning point. And while Oblivion wasn't as beloved or well received as ES3, it was still very well liked. Plus, Bethesda got a boost from FO3.

Faustek

Europe didn't get FFXII demo with it. But we got the Eternal Calm(X-2) video with Unlimited SaGa.. ¯(^o^)/¯

Also compared to what? We now have both DQB/H* doing better than DQVII on 3DS... That makes me sad :(

*= it is a possibility that DQH only sold better in the UK than DQVII.

Dragon Quest 8 apparently sold ~500,000. "We put a lot of effort into Dragon Quest VIII. The game did have some modest sales overseas, but it wasn’t anywhere close to the level of Final Fantasy sales." Oh well, time to give up on America again.

If DQVIII did 500k it totally sold 1.1m in the west since we have numbers for Europe stating 600k+ and wasn't DQIX the best selling with 1.02m total in the west?

The NPD figures I have are:
Dragon Quest 8 - 582k
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS) - 85k

DQVIII was also the first Dragon Quest where they even bothered with a PAL localisation, so it wasn't all about America with it and most subsequent games/remakes.

If that is true DQVIII suddenly became the best selling DQ in the west.
_______

Aena, I'm glad SE is still trying. The localisation for DQVII is amazing. Thanks Nintendo. I may dislike your subpar piece of hardware but have the games and I'm there.

R0ckman

Not sure how FF still does better in the west, DQ has better monster designs, stays true to classic RPG elements, FF experiments too much. FF primarily sells on name now.

1upsuper

Lots of posts in this thread break my heart. I get different opinions and all but I've wished for DQ to get popular in the west almost my whole life. It means so much to me and to see people shit on it or say they have no interest just shreds me. I grew up with both DQ and FF but I connect with DQ so much better. It's such a cozy series and it has never really disappointed me like FF has. FF characters outside of II, IV, and VI mean nothing to me. DQ is joyful and human in a way no FF is.

If that is true DQVIII suddenly became the best selling DQ in the west.

They're from a NPD leak we got a few years back, so they're true.

I think the 600k European figure you quoted is shipped though, so DQIX may still have sold more.

Not sure how FF still does better in the west, DQ has better monster designs, stays true to classic RPG elements, FF experiments too much. FF primarily sells on name now.

Maybe those "classic RPG elements" aren't as popular these days as you think they are?

Arzehn

Well even now they're only showing Dragon Quest XI to the Japanese audience... where's the English streams/trailers to coincide with the Japanese news? How can the western populous get hyped for something they don't even know exists.

Look forward to them releasing the game in English 1 year later with the only advertising being a few trailers on Sony's and Nintendo's youtube channel and select outlet review copies.

The first step would be to get some actual western marketing and have worldwide launches. With games being more expensive to create, marketing and partnerships are now more than ever the best investment to make for AA+ games.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm not sure I buy this considering how popular DBZ is
Toriyama's newer style has been HEAVILY criticized by several long-time DBZ fans. DB Super has thinner, younger looking characters that put off westerners for the very same reasons mentioned in this DQ article.

There's also the fact that many DBZ fans became fans when they were children to begin with.

HeelPower

They missed out on establishing the DQ outside of Japan back when JRPG were big.

It likely wont ever be huge ,but it can still sell solid enough that there is no reason for SE to stop releasing them here.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Maybe those "classic RPG elements" aren't as popular these days as you think they are?

Yeah, not to mention the overlying epic of DQ is pretty much simple and basic for today's standards (defeat the evil guy destroying your empire because you're the chosen hero, or something like that, only DQV was different).

If people will keep hoping mainline FF will go back to its randomn encounter, turn based roots, I bet it'll be pretty unpopular and might be even panned for the gameplay.

Ray Down

Banned

Why do people need context to the series by playing the older games?

The games aren't connected at all outside of the 2 trilogies and those are titles that can just stand on their own.

DQ just hasn't had a landmark title that really hit in other regions. Bringing over older titles won't do shit, more money to waste at the end of the day imo.

This is coming from someone who loves DQ4 the most.

spekkeh

Banned
Man I don't get it, Toriyamas art is so much more inviting than whatever Final Fantasy is trying to do. If anything it's more the grognard turnbased jrpg trappings that turn me off Dragon Quest. (That and seemingly always being on the least fit hardware)

AgeEighty

Man I don't get it, Toriyamas art is so much more inviting than whatever Final Fantasy is trying to do. If anything it's more the grognard turnbased jrpg trappings that turn me off Dragon Quest. (That and seemingly always being on the least fit hardware)

It's always been on the most popular hardware of whatever generation it's in, so I don't know what you mean by fit.

Faustek

They're from a NPD leak we got a few years back, so they're true.

I think the 600k European figure you quoted is shipped though, so DQIX may still have sold more.

Mind sharing a link? "NPD leak we got a few years back" is....well it's a lot to dig through.

It did pretty okay given what they were expecting.

1.1m ww and unfortunately I do not have any office programs installed on my PC as of now and the Media Create file is waaaaaaay to large for Google/MS documents so I can't extrapolate the western numbers as of now.

Toriyamas art is beautiful. Kinda laughed at the "If I'd known this Dragon Quest thing would go on for so long I'd have said no" comment in the NHK(?) special.

spekkeh

Banned
It's always been on the most popular hardware of whatever generation it's in, so I don't know what you mean by fit.
Fit for my preferences, YMMV obviously. Tail end of PS2 (that was ages ago), then on DS when people were pining for console jrpgs, then on Wii when it was dead.

Toriyamas art is beautiful. Kinda laughed at the "If I'd known this Dragon Quest thing would go on for so long I'd have said no" comment in the NHK(?) special.

I mean how many threads did we have where peoole concluded jrpgs were dying because of all the androgynous or moe characters that weren't like the cool heroes of old jrpgs like Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana. The cartoon aesthetics may have problems with the mass market, but I'd say primarily because it feels safe and derivative. If you do a cartoon aesthetic, make sure there's another hook.

Tizoc

Fit for my preferences, YMMV obviously. Tail end of PS2 (that was ages ago), then on DS when people were pining for console jrpgs, then on Wii when it was dead.

I mean how many threads did we have where peoole concluded jrpgs were dying because of all the androgynous or moe characters that weren't like the cool heroes of old jrpgs like Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana. The cartoon aesthetics may have problems with the mass market, but I'd say primarily because it feels safe and derivative. If you do a cartoon aesthetic, make sure there's another hook.
Once I can make threads again I'll make a thread about the DQ artbooks I got. Only issue I hace with them is that only one of them has an artwork of Marcello from 8 and the book it is in is rather small :p

I wonder how many more times they're going to try. The definition of insanity applies here.

The good kind of crazy~

Top Bottom