• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix staff have been asking the Final Fantasy head for a Final Fantasy 6 remake

Draugoth

Gold Member
final-fantasy-6-1280x720.jpg

During an official roundtable discussion to celebrate the 35th anniversary of the Final Fantasy series, Final Fantasy brand manager and Final Fantasy 7 Remake producer Yoshinori Kitase addressed the topic of a potential Final Fantasy 6 Remake.

As translated by Genki_JPN, Kitase reportedly said:

“I think Final Fantasy 6 Remake would be difficult.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake is not yet finished, so I am not able to think about it. But there are many Final Fantasy 6 fans inside the company, and they often ask me ‘when are we making 6?

Final Fantasy creator Hironobu Sakaguchi, who was also participating in the roundtable discussion, then reportedly explained that a remake of Final Fantasy 6 would be harder to do because, as a pixel-based game rather than a polygonal one, it would be more work to change the story and reimagine the game as a 3D experience.

However, he did then ask Kitase:

“Won’t you release it a little sooner?” This caused Kitase to laugh, and say it isn’t easy.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Six is the pinnacle of the 2D Final Fantasy games. A 3D remake would be amazing, but I'd even be on board for it to get the full 2D-HD treatment like Octopath Traveler.

BryceNobody

The legacy alone of VI is massive. Can’t blame them for being a little cautious, especially considering how huge the scope of VIIR is turning out to be.

Cool to know people at SE aren’t afraid and want the challenge though. Would love to see a Octopath-esque 2D/3D remake.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

10 is the most straightforward to remake to FF7R standard I think and arguably easier to do so given the structure of the game.

6 the hardest, followed by 8.

Final Fantasy creator Hironobu Sakaguchi, who was also participating in the roundtable discussion, then reportedly explained that a remake of Final Fantasy 6 would be harder to do because, as a pixel-based game rather than a polygonal one, it would be more work to change the story and reimagine the game as a 3D experience...
say what, now? 'more work to change the story & reimagine the game'? which elements of ff6 would be so difficult to reimagine? because i honestly can't think of any...

i'm reading 'more work', but i'm thinking 'more expensive'...

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
say what, now? 'more work to change the story & reimagine the game'? which elements of ff6 would be so difficult to reimagine? because i honestly can't think of any...

i'm reading 'more work', but i'm thinking 'more expensive'...
In general, converting a 2D sprite-based game to a fully 3D environment is a massive undertaking - and one that ultimately requires you to "change the story and reimagine the game". Ever see those "3D Emulators" - that extrapolate 3D environments from 2D games?

While ultimately cool - these create these kinds of soulless environments that the game exists in. Nobody wants this. When people think "Remake of Final Fantasy VI", they think of this

But looks modern like this

and fully playable, instead of being just all CGI.

And you're right, this would be very expensive to produce.

squallheart

Interesting that would be awesome. I guess that's why they sent a survey asking questions about remakes and what would one like to see. But still, remakes always worry me how far they would stray from the original concept.

sendit

10 is the most straightforward to remake to FF7R standard I think and arguably easier to do so given the structure of the game.

6 the hardest, followed by 8.

I hope they never remake 10. It sits up there with 9, 10, and 13 as horrible FF games.

Myths

Six is the pinnacle of the 2D Final Fantasy games. A 3D remake would be amazing, but I'd even be on board for it to get the full 2D-HD treatment like Octopath Traveler.
Nah, V is the pinnacle of the 2D games as I see it representing Final Fantasy.

Last edited:

Ferdimage

I always hear good things about FF6 , I started at 7 and never really went and visited the previous games.
Might give it a quick go , should I play the original or pixel remaster?

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
No thanks. Despite people saying buzzwords like "Timeless" then begging on their knees for a remake FF VI is unironically timeless. There's a reason it's in high regard.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
FF9 Remake confirmed…I will create a “legit leaker” account and spread it on 4Chan and Twitter…then it has to be true.

All based on what I read in these “translated” random answers with no context in regard to a FF6 Remake.

Last edited:

@gkTH

We're living in the era of REMAKE.
Does this mean the innovation is struggling nowadays and developers around the globe are playing on nostalgias?

There's no way they'll do the game justice. If anything, a Final Fantasy 4 remake with the visuals of FF 16 seems like it would be easier.
If that ever happens, I would probably lose my shit.

4 isn't my favourite FF (9 is) for 4 is definitely the one that has the biggest nostalgia factor for me. Since we never got FF2 and FF3 here and FF4 was dubbed as "FF2", my FF experience was FF1 was straight to FF4 and I thought it had improved on the first one so much: Better music, better story, characters had personalities, better combat system, etc.

I still think that FF4's journey is the most epic one in the whole franchise.

poodaddy

Sweet Lord please no. I don't want modern Square anywhere near my precious VI, they'll just fuck it up like they did VII. Leave VI alone, ya can't fix perfect, especially not by adding cringey anime voice acting.

Merkades

I agree with the HD-2D stuff, but hard pass on the Octopath Traveller thing (unless it is that or nothing). I have 90.4 hours in OT, so I do like it, but it is the definition of low effort. Why not make it more like DQ3 HD-2D, where at least they tried? The super low res sprites/textures, and blur obscuring 50-75% of the screen is awful (thanks modders for the anti blur stuff, at least).

I might be amenable to a 3D remake, it could be neat, but I do kind of want a better normal version rather than risking it being a worse new variant.

Hudo

If they can keep Nomura away. I don't want his fetish for multiverse/timeline bullshit anywhere near this.

If that ever happens, I would probably lose my shit.

4 isn't my favourite FF (9 is) for 4 is definitely the one that has the biggest nostalgia factor for me. Since we never got FF2 and FF3 here and FF4 was dubbed as "FF2", my FF experience was FF1 was straight to FF4 and I thought it had improved on the first one so much: Better music, better story, characters had personalities, better combat system, etc.

I still think that FF4's journey is the most epic one in the whole franchise.

4's doesn't hold up in many ways. A quest for redemption that isn't (Cecil wasn't really evil, just a rube), and sacrifices one after the other for the sake of party size conservation.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
FF 6 is perfect as is.. I just wish they could do a 1:1 snes port. For some reason that has never been done.

Tiamat2san

Please do it !
For me it’s the best game in the series.
I’d prefer it not to be an action RPG (like 7 remake) but i could live with it.

4's doesn't hold up in many ways. A quest for redemption that isn't (Cecil wasn't really evil, just a rube), and sacrifices one after the other for the sake of party size conservation.
As much as I love 4, I have to agree with what you're saying. Could be a great opportunity to enhance the experience.

Top Bottom