• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix stock falls more than 10% on no profit growth forecast

Shengar

No profit because of reliance on over-crowded market with high competition while themselves barely offered anything news in that said market? Shocking news.

Bring back Yoichi Wada.

Wasn't it his fault to begin with? LOL

But yeah, seeing how incidental traditional games have become to their earnings is...depressing, to say the least. I have to wonder how much that will change even if FFXV knocks it out of the park.

Road

Repeat of the past:

img_highlights_graph_sales.gif

We're in 03/2009, then, next fiscal year will have both FFXV and DQXI, and sales will spike. Then they'll fall again the follow FY.

Despite their numerous attempts, Square Enix still doesn't have a huge mobile hit (DQM Super Light seems like their best candidate). And MMO no called WoW isn't gonna make that much difference. So, they're still dependent on the traditional mainline releases of DQ and FF (in the same way Capcom is currently dependent on RE and MH).

And what do they have for this year that is going to help them to sell 12 million units of games?

A warehouse with millions of unsold copies of Lightning Return that they'll sell for $5 bucks.

And a secret European game, since they aim for an increase in the region from 4 million to 4.8 million units.

Interfectum

They should really be embarrassed by how long it's taking them to put out FF15. So many years in development and players will churn through the game in a weekend.

Toth

No profit because of reliance on over-crowded market with high competition while themselves barely offered anything news in that said market? Shocking news.

They made a 5% profit this year. It's next year that they don't expect much growth. I think KH2HD and the new Murdered game are the only noteworthy game coming out in that time?

TyrantII

I'm really hating what capitalism is becoming. Having a steady profit isn't enough, and growing business isn't preferable. Its all about increasing margins these last 30 years.

Seems to miss the point IMO.

Shahed

Even if I liked the FFXIII series to a degree, the thought of having it be the only experience for a whole new generation of gamers makes me sad

We're in that period where all those games abandoned to right the FFXIV ship would be coming out.

So how's that "we must become completely obsessed with mobile / browser games" strategy working out for you, Mr. Matsuda?

Buh buh buh, that's the OLD obsessive, compulsive corporate leadership goal! It's core JRPGs again!!!!11

It's been almost 8 years since FFXII, all we've gotten since then is XIII, XIII-2, XIII-3. Who would guessed it would turn out this way? After beating FFXII (my first FF), I eagerly played the other titles in anticipation for FFXIII. Now here we are after all those years :(

jcm

Here's their income for the past few years:
Code:
      Operating         Net
FY2009   12,277       6,333
FY2010   28,235       9,509
FY2011    7,325     (12,043)
FY2012   10,713       6,060
FY2013   (6,081)    (13,714)
FY2014   10,543       6,598
I don't really know what to make of them.

Shahed

Code:
      Operating         Net

Forgive me if this sounds stupid, but why are certain numbers in brackets?

Longsword

Code:
      Operating         Net

Well, they've recovered significantly this year, and made a decent net profit. But the chances are next year is not going to be pretty (since they say no major releases are coming). Unless they have a breakaway hit on mobile space, of course.

frozencool

Neo Member
Kinda feeling like SE is a strange investment in terms of games at this point. Can see why Sony dropped out. If FF15 is taking so damned long to make then it seems even more and more that SE is still having problems sorting out HD development. I hope FF15 is still good, but it seems like at this point it needs to become the best selling game of all time in order for SE to make back what it's spent over the ten years just developing the thing.

Toth

Oh so they did mate a net profit on the FY just passed?

Yes. They went from 13 million loss to 5 million profit. A very good improvement lol. However, they are not expecting any profit growth till next year because they really do not have any big selling games lined up.

SE needs to realise how important their traditional game market is.Where are all the Squeenix games on consoles?

Not selling.

Mr. RPG

Yes. They went from 13 million loss to 5 million profit. A very good improvement lol. However, they are not expecting any profit growth till next year because they really do not have any big selling games lined up.

Not selling.

Because the ones they do make are terrible.

Not selling.

Nah it was just LR that bombed.

FFX HD, BD, KH HD were all successful. Lets see how Drakengard does.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
12 million forecast seems to imply that at least one of their main properties either Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy are to be released in FY15 no? I mean the current line-up is quite barren. Dragon Quest XI 3DS for March judging by the forecast of losses in H1?

HeelPower

I think they should have released LR back in 2013 and on PC as well.Maybe the interest in the game would have been higher.

It sucks that SE is in a bad position despite releasing a lot of games recently.

Probably wouldn't change anything

Not sure why Square Enix doesn't do more merchandising. JRPG merchandise always sells out and JRPG merchandise is the only stuff that goes up in value on Ebay. A good portion of the JRPG audience likes collecting stuff more than playing the games. You can easily tell if someone is into JRPGs buy just visiting their place and seeing a wall of crap. Square Enix can make $200 figurines and that stuff will sell.

And to think all they need to do is create fully-formed ps1 style Breath of Fire 6 for psn and Live and they would make a killing. Too bad they're stupid and turned it into a mobile game that will probably do meh in Japan and dogshit everywhere else (if it's even released). Or just release HD Versions of their classic RPGs, you know instead of just letting people pirate them.

mrpeabody

The total lack of the words "Lightning Returns" in any of these slides is damning. What an awful, expensive misstep.

Digital distributions (ie games) makes up only 11% of their operating margin o_O

Not quite. Their games business had an operating margin of 11%. Basically a profit margin. That includes console, mmo, pc, and mobile; retail and DD.

Games made up 61% of their sales and 102% of their profit (ie their games profit exceeded their total profit).

Toth

Not quite. Their games business had an operating margin of 11%. Basically a profit margin. That includes console, mmo, pc, and mobile; retail and DD.

Games made up 61% of their sales and 102% of their profit (ie their games profit exceeded their total profit).

Ah, thank you for the clarification.

fvng

These are all problems that would have been resolved if they paid more respect to their IPs. They have an incredible backlog of amazing franchises and they are sitting on them. They only need to give fans what they want. People want an FF7 of Chrono Trigger remake? Give it to them. People demanded a localization of Bravely Default and they didn't listen. A painful lesson for them to listen to fans. Why not remake some games like Bahamut Lagoon that never got a domestic release?

And how about retaining talent in your in house talent? Akihiko Yoshida gone? That boggles my mind. How many third party dev studios spun off from square-enix? Monolith, Brownie Brown? I'm losing track already.

Shengar

They made a 5% profit this year. It's next year that they don't expect much growth. I think KH2HD and the new Murdered game are the only noteworthy game coming out in that time?
I skipped "growth" somehow in that post, but you get the point.
SE is late to the party with mobile market, and they don't have any particularly strong title in that market. If they can't make a sure foothold until early 2015, they'll just continuing shoot.
SE needs to realise how important their traditional game market is.Where are all the Squeenix games on consoles?

Capcom is also on mobile craze, but they at least have strong IPs on traditional gaming that could sustain them during their "transition" to mobile market. SE doesn't have MH that sell fuckton of copy and then sell another fuckton next year.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Revenue by segment

Console gaming is still their bread and butter.

A smart SE would say "We should expand our mobile offerings, while remaining committed to console gaming like we did back in the 90s", but the attitude of current SE is more like "We should expand our mobile offerings at the expense of console gaming", even if they say otherwise.

Paracelsus

Triple-HA pretty much crippled all the major Japanese gaming companies, and it's a shame, but not because of their major entries, but because they ended up losing all their middle tier series in the process.

Triple-HA pretty much crippled all the major Japanese gaming companies, and it's a shame, but not because of their major entries, but because they ended up losing all their middle tier series in the process.

square should really stop making AAA games. I know people want their graphical showcase rpgs with cool cutscenes but I don't think there are enough people buying their games to support that anymore.

Get back to making cheaper rpg's that don't take 3-5 years to make.

I understand mobile gaming is all the rage in Japan, but it's strange Japanese companies like Square or Capcom don't look beyond their country and see that console/PC gaming is still very popular in the rest of the world. At this point, it's probably not wise to spend the time/money developing a game that would only be sold in Japan or a game that could only be financially successful in Japan.

I understand mobile gaming is all the rage in Japan, but it's strange Japanese companies like Square or Capcom don't look beyond their country and see that console/PC gaming is still very popular in the rest of the world. At this point, it's probably not wise to spend the time/money developing a game that would only be sold in Japan or a game that could only be financially successful in Japan.

Thats was always the case. Even when they claim to do thing for the western market they seem to take the weirdest route (outsource to a cheap developer or change everything you love of that game) that makes me thing the higher ups has really no idea of what the western marked wants. Maybe why thats why they currently so trigger happy with Asia and China as they are "eastern" enough.

Shengar

Japanese companies, especially the bigger they are, are very conservative. So, first and foremost their market aim will be Japan, no matter how big their presence on the west, especially when compared to other Japanese developer/publisher.

Go_Ly_Dow

People always say the acquisition of Edios was a good move and from a game perspective I agree but finacially it was a huge risk and far from a safe bet.

Middle tier budget games are dead and so far it doesn't seem like their IPs/brand recognition is strong enough to support AAA budgets.

Maybe for the health of S-E as a whole it will only worsen it as it could spread them thin rather than focus all finances on what Japan produces.

People always say the acquisition of Edios was a good move and from a game perspective I agree but finacially it was a huge risk and far from a safe bet.

Middle tier budget games are dead and so far it doesn't seem like their IPs/brand recognition is strong enough to support AAA budgets.

Maybe for the health of S-E as a whole it will only worsen it as it could spread them thin rather than focus all finances on what Japan produces.

Whens the last time SE made a console rpg that was not FF or KH. The few they made were 360/PC exclusive -____- . I hope your happy SE.

Top Bottom