• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX On Tour - new screens and info

Angst

Most have probably noticed this on IGN and Gamespot, but for those who haven't:

IGN's Hands On

Gamespot's preview

ign1.jpg

ign3.jpg

ign4.jpg

ign5.jpg

ign6.jpg

ign7.jpg

I think the color palette is a bit weird, but they probably want a more gritty look then SSX3.

Bebpo

Banned
At least you aren't snowboarding through a sea of BURNING FIRE ANGST. But yea, the colors are a bit odd ^^;

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Forget about the big-beat techno music that used to permeate SSX, that is so 90s. This year it's all about rock n' roll or as EA put it - "becoming a black diamond rockstar."
Oh man. Not another Burnout 3 soundtrack, I hope. There's something about electronic music used in SSX games so far that just feels good and makes sense with the shiny snowy visuals.

Angst

However, the soundtrack is making a pretty radical departure from club-style tunes that have been a staple of the series. This time out, hip-hop and rock will form the gist of the music, which actually complements the new look of the game.

Darn, I really prefered the techno tracks in SSX3 over the "Green Day"-type of music.
But it sounds like a good part of the soundtrack will consist of hip-hop at least.

Forsete

Angst said:
Darn, I really prefered the techno tracks in SSX3 over the "Green Day"-type of music.
But it sounds like a good part of the soundtrack will consist of hip-hop at least.

Green day? Nooo. :(
Let EU get its own soundtrack please!

BuzzJive

I like how they tried online play with just 2 players on the PS2 version last year - and then took it out completely this year.

And how can they trash the soundtrack? It had the best EA soundtrack out there.

This will likely be the first SSX I don't buy...

Angst

Forsete said:
Green day? Nooo. :(
Let EU get its own soundtrack please!

Green Day wasn't in SSX3 and I have no information of them being in SSX On Tour either, I was just using them as a metaphor for describing the tracks I didn't like in SSX3. :D

I found the soundtrack in SSX3 really good, especially for EA... I really liked their remixed versions of Leave Home, Let's Get Retarded, Higher Ground and The Scientist. But the rock-tracks really sucked IMO.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Yeah, rock track just didn't fit in SSX3 at all, and frankly, I think hip-hop will fit even less. Hip-hop fits great with NBA-street, NFSU and many other games, but not this, I think. Not everything has to have exact same kind of music and style dammit... SSX-Tricky and SSX3 had very fitting music in them, for the most part.

Even more sad, the first SSX game on PSP is the first SSX game that probably won't instil that feeling I get from the series :(

AirBrian

SSX3 is a "better" game than SSX Tricky, but I enjoyed Tricky a lot more mainly because of the music.

It's Tricky! It's Tricky!

That said, I'll probably buy this (assuming the reviews don't tank) and will probably enjoy it. But bring back the techno, EA!

lordmrw

Can't wait. I'm still playing SSX 3 although I bought it at the beginning of last year. To tell you the truth, I never paid any attention to the music in SSX3, so the soundtrack changes make no difference to me.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Marconelly said:
Even more sad, the first SSX game on PSP is the first SSX game that probably won't instil that feeling I get from the series :(

Wait, what? They're releasing this for PSP as well??

BuddyC

On Tour does have a more active camera that pans around characters when they score big points and even goes into slow motion to highlight the action.
I really hope you can turn that off.

I really loved SSX3, so I'm cautiously optimistic about this one. Some stuff sounds neat, like, more hot SSX action on a streaming mountain, and the stuff that turns me off, the whole rock 'n roll motif and such, really shouldn't interefere with that too much, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Elios83

I'm a big fan of SSX,actually it's the only EA game I've ever bought,I swear :D
But I think they should have skipped this.Just bring the series on the PSP this fall and start to work on a really amazing and innovative next gen episode.

Marconelly said:
Oh man. Not another Burnout 3 soundtrack, I hope. There's something about electronic music used in SSX games so far that just feels good and makes sense with the shiny snowy visuals.

The new trailer has The Hives playing and it sounds fucking awesome with the gameplay and fits perfectly with the "sketchbook" style.

This game is going to be fucking awesome. +1

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
The sketchbook motif and subdued pallette is a really nice change for a franchise that has appeared essentially 4 times on the same console in the past 5 years. Nicely personable touches, but I hope beyond hope for improved course layouts than the music selection. Riding the Mountain was great in SSX3, but the actual courses didn't match the predecessor games IMO.

Desperado

SSX 3 was a better game than Tricky. But I felt Tricky had a feel, personality, and life that 3 lacked...which is why I liked it better...It seems they want to stray even further from that in this one.

=(

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Ugh.... I'm such a huge SSX fan and everything I hear about this latest sequel is making me less and less excited :(

At least, they're not screwing the graphics, but the art seems a bit weird.

for the rest, I'm not sure what to think, but considering EA's track record, I'm worried about the soundtrack (SSX3 was crap in that department, I played with the music off).

newsguy

I'll wait for the 360 version (if it is coming out) so I have 4 shoulder buttons. Clicking the left thumbstick for EA Big games on the XBOX is totally impractical.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
newsguy said:
I'll wait for the 360 version (if it is coming out) so I have 4 shoulder buttons. Clicking the left thumbstick for EA Big games on the XBOX is totally impractical.

Use the 4 face buttons for tricks. It dosn't take that much conditioning to jump with R-trigger instead of A.

AirBrian

newsguy said:
The right analog stick is now the trick stick according to both previews. So maybe the shoulder buttons will not be used for the big, complex tricks...?

The SSX series is one of my favs. I'm surprised they'd pull out a fourth game on current platforms but it has been about 2 years since SSX3...plus it's EA and all.

Elios83 said:
I'm a big fan of SSX,actually it's the only EA game I've ever bought,I swear :D

Me too actually

newsguy

AirBrian said:
The right analog stick is now the trick stick according to both previews. So maybe the shoulder buttons will not be used for tricks...?

Yeah but they did the same for NBA Street 3. You use the right stick plus the shoulder buttons (and left thumbstick) creating many more move possibilities. I will see how the face button scheme works out.

StRaNgE

Banned
Bebpo said:
At least you aren't snowboarding through a sea of BURNING FIRE ANGST. But yea, the colors are a bit odd ^^;

you ever been snowboard at night?

it looks pretty similar depending on the sky and the lighting.
so in these shots i'd say they are trying to make them true to night boarding.

Please God NO MORE HIP HOP IN GAMES......

newsguy

Brandon F said:
Use the 4 face buttons for tricks. It dosn't take that much conditioning to jump with R-trigger instead of A.

Wait, it just occured to me, if they are doing the "trick stick" ala NBA Street 3, then this isn't possible.

newsguy said:

I thought they said they weren't going to make an Xbox 360 version of this game.

Zeo

Banned
Did you post pics? I just keep looking at your avatar.

Er, yeah. I'd rather have the kind of soundtrack that was in SSX 3 (The Faint = awesome), but if they're going to be dumb and change it to all popular rock, at least pick some good stuff (like Green Day, for example).

Custom PS2 soundtracks would have owned this gen.

Angst

Zeo said:
Did you post pics? I just keep looking at your avatar.QUOTE]

:) I have to confess that I blatantly stole it from katamari on ntsc-uk.com... *shame*

But I also kept staring at it and wanted to share it with GAF.

Gattsu25

Banned
StRaNgE said:
Please God NO MORE HIP HOP IN GAMES......
Metal/Rock in games is much worse, FYI but regardless, the music in the past SSX games have all fit the style of the game, except for the rock in 3, and to have a larger focus on the previous title's weakest music selections only saddens my heart. Gamers don't like music chosen to compliment the game...no. EA Trax and focus group proven grit and angst are the ways to go!!

Meantime

Angst said:
Zeo said:

:) I have to confess that I blatantly stole it from katamari on ntsc-uk.com... *shame*

Someone used that same one here before, a while back. It's an image that tends to stick in your head.

tino

Banned
Angst said:
Zeo said:

Ok you just derail the thread. Now tell me which movie was it from! Or was it...video?

BuddyC

Angst said:
Actually - I don't know, you see I stole it from katamari on ntsc-uk.com... as mentioned above. :)
The avatar's made rounds around these parts before. And sorry to say, it's a little inappropriate and needs to be changed.

Top Bottom